My 63 Mercury Meteor Wagon on wires

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Suspect, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Suspect

Suspect New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I decided to try my 17" 100 spoke knock off wire wheels on my 63 Mercury Meteor Wagon. I was concerned that they would rub in the rear wells. I took it to work to test fit them, after that I kinda jumped the gun and just finished installing them. They ride amazing, car just floats down the road now. I also decided to give it a bath, since it hasn't had one in over 12 years, (been in a barn 12 years before I got it).

Don't be shy, tell me your thoughts on how they look. You won't hurt my feelings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I washed it...
    [​IMG]

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I owned a 62 4 door sedan back in my "the day" so I am biased:D. I'd love to own your wagon, a 63 mid size meteor has beem my week spot for years......as for the wheels.....I'm square old school, give me some steelies and hub caps:D(y)

I really like your wagon, I'd like it better if it was in my drive way:pub:

EDIT>>> F*** I wish I had your 63! Keep the old girl alive, thats all that matters!

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like em :)

Are those speakers in the back?

4. Suspect

Suspect New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I really like old steel wheels as well. I haven't found any 15" ford steel wheels other the ones I adapted to fit on my Datsun 620.

Yes, four MTX 12's.

5. DrCAS

DrCAS Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Look, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about your choice of wheels. The question is... do YOU like them? If you say "Yes", then that is the answer.

Hell, I want Pontiac Rally II's on my Astre wagon because the just scream Pontiac. I also like Crager SS. So people think my rim choice sucks. the think I should jam the biggest tire I could get on my car. or tub it. or put a V-8 in it. or (fill in blank_.

Your wagon is a very cool work in progress. I dig the colors. The smirk on your face tells me you were profiling. Awesome!

6. Suspect

Suspect New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I bought the wheels 6 years ago from Discount Tire. It was the biggest headache I ever had, it took me over a month to get the right knock off tool to fit the knock off nuts. A month after I was able to drive on them, the chrome flaked on the lip and it wouldn't hold air anymore. Even though there was a warranty on paper, they would not replace or repair the wheel. I fought until the warranty expired. I end up buying a single used wheel off ebay. I originally bought them for an 89 S-10. I really wanted a set of wires back then and I finally got them. After I had them on my truck, I really didn't think they looked right. I've had them on a 85 Buick Lesabre 2 door, didn't look right. Had them on several Datsun 620 Pickups, and they looked better.
    I'm kinda in the middle on like or notlike on this car. I think if the car didn't have all that chrome, it wouldn't look as good as it does. I do think they look alot better than the trailer style wheels I had on it before.
    I like hearing what other people think, sometimes it gives me ideas for this car and other cars I have.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I like them. Many cars had wire wheels or later fake wire wheel hub caps. I think they are classy and a nice adition to the car. I am not a fan of "huge wheels" but they look like they fill the wheel wells just right.

8. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I'm getting old so a lot of things folks do to their cars don't thrill me. I learned in the Navy's Instructor Basic Course that you must find something nice to say.

But, I didn't have to fall back on my training on this one. I like them. Just the right size and the style fits the package IMO. Red/Black and Chrome wheels. What could be better.

9. BrickBox

BrickBox New Member

The fact that they ride smooth is a huge deciding factor, I think they look good!:thumbs2:

10. Suspect

Suspect New Member

Wagon Garage:
    yea, I can't stand vibrations in the cars I drive. One of the wheels didn't look that good on the balancer but it doesn't seem to affect it any.

11. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

American Racing make a 15 " chromed steely with the baby moons to fit the Fords. Best of all, you can order the hub caps embossed with the old V-8 symbol! They look SWEET

12. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Nope those wheels are for bagged out Lincolns.
    [​IMG]

13. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

You need something like this:
    [​IMG]

14. Suspect

Suspect New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Theses are the same wheels on my other vehicles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rims were on other cars of mine but I don't have any pics up.

15. Suspect

Suspect New Member

Wagon Garage:

I love them wheels, there is a set out behind my parents but my uncle for the life of me won't get rid of them.