Station Wagon Forums  

Go Back   Station Wagon Forums > Welcome to the Station Wagon Forums > The Welcome Wagon

Notices

Old 2011-02-03, 15:23 PM   #1
ptbabin

My Garage: 1
Vehicle(s): 1965 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, 1965 Oldsmobile 442, 1973 Oldsmobile Omega, 2007 Shelby GT500
New Girl

I am new here. I'm Tara and my hubby and I own a racing team here in lovely Louisiana. Just wanted to say hey from New Orleans. I have a 1965 Olds Vista Cruiser and I am hoping to find advice and parts on here. I also have a '65 442, and a '73 Omega, not wagons, I know, but still love my Oldsmobiles! We are planning a Route 66 road trip this June with our wagon, so if anyone has any tips for the trip (or parts for the wagon!) I would sure love to know.

Last edited by ptbabin; 2011-02-03 at 21:09 PM.
ptbabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 2011-02-03, 23:06 PM   #2
Mark Ervin

Vehicle(s): 1969 Pontiac Custom S, 1990 Buick Estate, 2009 CUBE, 1999 GMC Suburban, etc.
Welcome to the forum. I believe you are the first lady I've greeted on this board.
I'm sure there's more but the guys seem to rule...
Most women aren't about advertising their grocery gettin' automotive appliances.
Mark Ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 01:37 AM   #3
the Rev
senior junior

My Garage: 3
Vehicle(s): Fords...ya thats plural :)
PT....nice oldsmabuble
so..what does the 'team' consist of??

'remember when the term 'Family vacation' meant actually getting into the Wagon and driving somewhere?
the Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 11:39 AM   #4
ptbabin

Vehicle(s): 1965 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, 1965 Oldsmobile 442, 1973 Oldsmobile Omega, 2007 Shelby GT500
Well the "team" is basically us racing our Olds, mostly the 442. I have yet to bring the wagon to the track yet because it still has the 330 in it, however, I did purchase a 70 Delta 88 with a 455 and I plan to put that in the wagon, along with other modifications of course. I don't expect it nearly to run like the monster 442, but I'm hoping to shock those who think that a grocery getter can't skull drag em! Other than that, my hubby has an 07 Shelby GT500, which he enjoys taking down the track and I used to race a little Lexus IS350, pretty quick stock, we won the Mardi Gras drags with it a few years back.

Our plan this summer is to have an old fashioned road trip vacation in our wagon, with the kids along route 66, we shall see how that pans out. It needs some work and parts before I'm ready to drive it over 3000 miles! I am certainly glad to be the first girl to have you welcome me. Most guys think I know nothing about cars, after all, i'm a GIRL, and kinda young, I guess, but I love them!

Oh, and it's funny you say Oldsmobuble....I call them that all the time!
Old 2011-02-04, 13:41 PM   #5
CapriceEstate
Yacht Captain

My Garage: 2
Vehicle(s): 1987 Chevrolet Caprice Estate, 1990 Mercury Colony Park LS, 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood, 1989 Dodge Ram
Welcome to the funny farm!

CapriceEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 18:47 PM   #6
jaunty75
Middling Member

Vehicle(s): 1973 Olds Custom Cruiser. 1967 Olds Delta 88 convertible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbabin View Post
I have a 1965 Olds Vista Cruiser and I am hoping to find advice and parts on here. I also have a '65 442, and a '73 Omega, not wagons, I know, but still love my Oldsmobiles!
It's not my intention to steer you away from this site because it's very good. But with all those Oldsmobiles, if you haven't already, you might consider signing up at classicoldsmobile.com

It's a very active board, and you might have better luck locating Olds-specific parts for your various cars as well as any advice you might be looking for.

As far as driving along Route 66, it can be done here and there, mostly as business routes off the nearby interstate highway that replaced 66. There's more segments of the old highway west of Seligman, Arizona, and while the scenery is pretty, there isn't much left, as least on the segments I've been on, of the old 66 as most think of it, with eccentric restaurants, motels, and gift shops.

Many of the towns the route passed through celebrate it, so you can find museums and things like that along the way in towns like Kingman, Flagstaff, Williams, Winslow, and Holbrook, Arizona. But you'll be on I-40 between most of these towns.

As far as the kids, to be honest, I think they will find the whole thing a bore unless there's the guarantee of an amusement park or a hotel with a swimming pool along the way.
jaunty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 18:59 PM   #7
ptbabin

Thanks, I will be sure to check out that forum as well! I too agree that the kids may be a bit bored sometimes, so we are throwing in some fun attractions like staying in a rail car in Williams, visiting the Grand Canyon, a side trip to Circu Circus in Vegas, and I'm sure we'll end up in Disneyland! This is my hubby's dream trip! I can only hope that it goes as well as he expects it to. I am skeptical, but hey, i'm up for an adventure! I see you're an Olds lover also! I'll have to post some pics of my others....Is that allowed on a wagon site?? lol
Old 2011-02-04, 19:44 PM   #8
Fat Tedy
Island Red Neck

Vehicle(s): 82+83 Gutless Crewzers, 87+82 Buick Land Barg'ezz, 72 Mercury Beateor Meteor
Tara. How about some more and bigger pics of the wagon!

Enjoy!
Old 2011-02-04, 22:26 PM   #9
fannie

Vehicle(s): 68 Beaumont/89 Olds Customer Cruisr SL
Hi Tara glad to have another female on board. Your trip sounds awesome. Good luck finding the parts your looking for...you sure don't want the car having issues while your away. Can't wait to see your pictures

aboard.

fannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 13:42 PM   #10
ptbabin

I really do need to get some bigger pictures! I'll need to dig around and scan some!

Fannie, I am so worried about something going wrong on that long trip with all them kids....but my hubby swears it will be fine! One day I vow to visit Nova Scotia! That's where all we Cajun's originated from!

Station Wagon Forums > Welcome to the Station Wagon Forums > The Welcome Wagon