1973 Ford LTD Country Squire Brougham

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    A little rich for my blood but a lovely car.

mike

3. Professor

Professor Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Definitely eye-catching! I like it!

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Very politely worded ad, but he'll be waiting 'til doomsday before he gets that price. Drop it by half, and he'll start to get some interest, maybe.

5. jwdtenn

Yes, it's high priced but very highly optioned and in superior condition. About all it appears to lack is factory cruise control. I think it's worth potentially 5 figures, although maybe not quite as high as asked.

[​IMG]

6. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It really is a beauty and that is a fairly rare color. Let me do my complaining... LOL. The hubcaps appear to be incorrect for this car, as they look like '75+ Landau hubcaps. Also I do not think that Ford used those particular side moldings on the '73 models. Seller unsure of what he/she has. It is listed as a 1972, but it is clearly a 1973. Also at times called a "Limited" Country Squire, which don't exist. Then it goes to say that it is one of only 500 made. Well I know that many more Squires than that were made in '73, even more than the Chevy wagons, unless he means with the "Brougham" interior, but I would say that more than that had the Brougham option?

7. jwdtenn

Really strikingly beautiful wagon! (y)

[​IMG]

8. alphues

alphues New Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree with jwdtenn. It also has the seldom seen rear window washer too. You can see the little access door on the upper tailgate molding.

9. Anderk

Anderk Well-Known Member

I love the cup holder on the door.

10. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Good eyeballsmanship, I missed that, I also don't think I've seen one on any above 72 Fords/Mercs. My bare bones plain jane Beateor has one, was the first time I knew it existed on Fords. But I did know Mopar wagons had the option.

11. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    I like it, despite the questions. If I were buying this, I'd offer the guy ten grand and see if he bit. Pretty damn nice car, and I really like the colors. The wheel covers would find the scrap pile, however. Some nice big-car Rallyes, or some tasteful 15" aftermarket wheels would help this car a bunch!

12. jwdtenn

I like the factory deluxe wheel covers best! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

[​IMG]

13. jwdtenn

14. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    72 Kingswood Estate is right about the wheel covers, but the side moldings are shown in the '73 Ford Wagon brochure.

As for the "rare" color, I'm very skeptical about its originality on this purportedly unreconditioned car. I am correct, am I not, that the exterior is black? Every time I've seen a Ford with the black exterior and blue interior combination, it's turned out the car has been repainted. I suppose it's just possible this could have been special-ordered, but, as I said, I'm very skeptical.

72 KE is right again to question the criteria for the 1 of 500 claim. Ford made more Country Squires in 1973 than in any other year, over 142,000.

Note, also, how the power window control panel in the driver's arm rest sticks up a bit. Does this indicate a problem with its re-installation? And, if I'm not mistaken, that's a Radio Shack AM/FM/Cassette in the dash. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I had the same unit in a Dodge truck some years ago. It's a good stereo, but it's nearly 30 years old and, depending on how it's wired, the stock Ford 3.2 ohm speakers could be damaging its 8 ohm amp (which the instruction manual specifically warns against). I don't see a CD player, although this stereo does have a jack to connect a portable player. Of course, it could be that if the seller doesn't know the difference between a 1972 and a 1973 Ford (for instance by reading the year from the title, registration, or VIN plate), he might think that CD stands for "Cassette Deck".

In sum, there are a lot of potential problems/discrepancies here that make me think that Jaunty 75's assessment of the price is not far off base. Any potential buyer would be well advised to make an extremely thorough inspection.

By the way, I agree with JWDTenn about the deluxe wheel covers.

15. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

That looks like it could be a mid-80s Alpine stereo, and they were very good for the time. Certainly not inexpensive. Aside from the incorrect wheel covers, the car looks to be in really great condition, and as noted, exceedingly well optioned. The power window control plate looks like it may have a bent tab that holds the rear of it down. If that is all it is, no big deal at all. That panel is also quite common, having been used for a lot of years on the full sized Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln sedans, wagons, and depending on the year, 2 door coupes as well. The side molding is definitely correct for the car. Back then, every single Country Squire and Colony Park I saw had that same brown side molding on it. Made a lot of sense, as it did protect the wood grain somewhat from parking lot dings. I'm thinking that this is likely a $12,000 car, maybe even a touch more, and with very minor work, it could well be a show quality driver.