1979 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Mar 31, 2015.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    With no AC and no other obvious options either. Pretty neat to see the diesel still there. They are actually worth money in California!

3. jwdtenn

But it has cornering lamps! Go figure!

4. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Weird options!

5. jwdtenn

Just $1750!

6. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was wondering if I'd ever see a 1979 model that still had the Diesel engine. Now I have; But will I see one with the woodgrain too? I like that Orange/Brown (Woodgrain) color combination on these 1979 models (Autumn colors) so perhaps a few of those made it out as Diesels. That's the one I'd like to see as a Diesel, but with a roof-rack and third seat and air conditioning.

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

You would not like these GM era diesels. There is a old timer a couple streets over from me I've gotten to know pretty good over the years, he had new a diesel wagon but not for long. In one of our chats some time back and me talking about how slow/sluggish the 307 Olds is in my Buick he said.... "Drive one of these with diesel and you will never complain about your 307 again, my wife's VW bug was faster"

From what I have been told and read, they were under engineered and along with that GM mechanics were not properly trained to work on them, my guess is that the combination of both but mainly the slip shot engineering was the reason of there short life of production. I do remember when they were new as the od one could be heard coming 10 miles away (They were in pick up trucks also). Diesels back then in cars were loud sounding engines (VW Rabbits and Mercedes) compared to todays but these GM beasts sounded like they were on the verge of catastrophic detonation at any given moment on the dealership parking lot.

8. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't think it would be that slow. Wow.

Still, this kind of Wagon for a conversion with a newer, faster Diesel wouldn't be too bad:

[​IMG]

Easy 25+ MPG Highway. Or maybe I could get a later model and customize it to look like a 1979 model? Maybe I don't even need one and am being a bit frivolous. I don't want to have too many cars.

Oh well, a time and place for everything. Nice color combination and idea for a conversion at least, but there are more pressing things like me making that drawing I was asked to make.

9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Or 101 you could buy this wagon and do what my son just did. Our local U-Pull-It yards have 1/2 price sales over holidays. He just bought a complete engine with computer and wiring for under $200 with tax and fees from a 1993 Chevy van, minus the serpentine parts. He already has the brackets etc.
    It's high mileage but he says what he can see inside and out it's clean. Even has a new starter and K-N air filter.
    So consider buying a nice looking wagon with a bad motor if it's cheap enough. Son says a late model tranny already attaced is under $100 more during those sales. It's a gamble but still cheaper than more rebuilds.
    I remember those GM diesels when new. Several guys at work had them....... for a short time!

You can never have too many cars!

10. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Well, No doubt I could. But I do have other commitments which I'd feel better about following through on.

All things in moderation. :p I still like the idea of a Wagon that's a Diesel running on Biodiesel, and I won't make excuses to not get one now... Just not this one. I think if I had more than enough cars I'd start neglecting some of them so I'd have to get some and then flip them after working on them just to preserve them!

11. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Considering diesel now costs more than gasoline and finding used cooking oil because others are doing it, plus the fact everything diesel costs way more, I see no advantage. Except I do miss smelling a diesel engine and feeling dizzy all the time. :oops:

12. Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon "Rocket" Pilot

Wow, it's the same color as the '86 Custom Cruiser I had, I'd love to get my hands on this car, but it's aaaaalll the way in Califor-nai-ae... Slap on a turbo from a newer diesel, and here in VA, that's legally a muffler, straight pipe rollin' coal. My neighbors would HATE me.. Why do these things always end up out of my grasp?

13. waynestevens

waynestevens Well-Known Member

If A/C could be transplanted without cutting the firewall, I would dump the diesel and install anything from an Olds 350, 403, or even a 455. Remember, older diesels are smog exempt in CA. Wayne

14. jwdtenn

Down to $1600.

15. jwdtenn

Now at $1450.

[​IMG]