Nailed a deer tonight.

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Wenck126, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Wenck126

Wenck126 New Member

The filthy vermin, I dodged the first few then hit a big one doing his damndest to get in my path. It went flying and was still kicking and thrashing, if I'd had something with me I'd've finished it off. The front wrap is pretty much smashed up, driver side fender dented in good, some damage to hood, front end in general pretty bad. It drove home fine so hopefully it'll be fixable. I've heard I have a wagon with abundant parts for it out there, guess I'll be finding out. This is my fourth deer hit in the last 3 years, rural living has a price.

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Bummer.
    Been there, hit that.

3. Wenck126

Wenck126 New Member

If I did get a classic, I'd never want to drive it at night.

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of the damage, glad you're ok. I hit one with the old Trooper(my sister's baby) running it back over to her place after servicing. A herd of big ones suddenly appeared out of the woods right in front of me. Fortunately I was moving pretty slow as I had just stopped at a RR crossing and was just accelerating after crossing over. Sourced headlight, turn signal and a new grill from the junkyard to fix it, fortunately no body damage to panels.

5. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

I am so glad you are okay. And it sounds like the wagon is very fixable. You should have no problem finding what you need. The front clip interchanges amongst a few years, and the sedan and wagon used the same pieces. Who knows, you may just get lucky and find parts in the right colour! Hope you have an easy time of it. My brother found that those silly little stick on 'anti-deer' whistles really do work, but only is you mount them in the air stream. He put them on the tops of the front fenders, where some cars used to have the turn signal repeaters. It worked. Good thing, too, since there were more moose than deer where he lived.

6. Wenck126

Wenck126 New Member

If I find a complete car I'll do the header panel, grill, both fenders and hood. Color match would be nice but no big deal, car could use a paint job anyway.

7. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Been there, nailed a big buck in a 1983 Isuzu I-Mark (think Buick/Opel) when I was 17. Scared me to death and demolished that car...no big loss.

Glad you are ok and could drive home. Those things can scare you to death and do a ton of damage.

Take care!

-Mike

8. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

Deer steak for new years?

9. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry to hear - deer in MO are out of control in my opinion. We dodged several yesterday afternoon coming back from walking the dogs at Smithville Lake. I bet I saw 20 yesterday. When I was a kid (long ago!) it was a rarity to see a deer; now they're as common as squirrels.

10. Wenck126

Wenck126 New Member

No deer steak this time, it probably caught its wind and ambled off. From now on I carry at least a hunting knife. This is the third deer hit since summer, and the fifth in the last 3 years. I had the same damage on my '89 Jeep Cherokee and still need to repair the same type of damage on my '97 F-150. I REALLY like the wagon, so I'll make it look good again.

Attached Files:

11. Wenck126

Wenck126 New Member

Agreed, there have been times that I've driven through herds of them, dozens all around me. Recently I narrowly missed one in St. Joseph near the prison. What really sucks is I don't have full coverage, which I did on my truck. And I lost all my tools in the fire last March, and I'll play hell making the time for such extensive repairs.

12. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Unfortunatly I have been there myself, see the old tread from when I ht a big doe on my way to work at 5:30am. But the Impala wagon lived anouther day with the bonus of added options fron the 78 Parts car!!!! I would never let a minor incodent keep me from driving my classic!!!!! My cars will never be just car show lawn chair haulers!!!!!

http://stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3489

Hang in there it can be repaired, hopefully better than it was before the accedent.

13. Wenck126

Wenck126 New Member

You're right, I fixed the same type of damage on my old Jeep. I should get that '62 Olds and make it into a deer slaying machine.

14. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ouch man! Glad no one was hurt...danged old dear anyway.

15. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Bummer, but as mentioned, your OK:). Lots f deer are getting hit here, more so in the past few years. For us it's not a deer poulation explotion, but urban development. The deer are running out of forest to live......