Geneva Preview: BMW shows off M5 Touring

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Mar 8, 2007.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Filed under: Sports/GTs, Wagons/Estates, Geneva Motor Show, Euro, BMW
    [​IMG]
    Click image for large high-res photo gallery

For those of us who love the practicality of station wagons, BMW has built what may well be the ultimate appliance: the M5 Touring. The recipe is simple: take one 5-series wagon, plant Bimmer's 507-horsepower V10 in the engine bay, hook it to the 7-speed SMG, and infuse the whole shebang with the style, handling and attitude you've come to expect from a car sporting the "M" badge.

Only this time, the sub-5-second 0-60 time is associated with a car that will happily transport the wife, kids and associated luggage (maybe the family pooch, too) on whatever road trip you happen to dream up. We'd be dreaming up trips to vacation spots that are far away, with scenic, curvy roads connecting the origin and destinantion. Then again, a straight-through blast down I-95 to visit the Mouse would probably be fine, too. We're confident good time would be made.

Alas it's all a dream, because we're not scheduled to get The Practical Man's M5. Actually, with a sticker price of over £67,000 -- the equivalent of $131,000 in the greenbacks -- it wouldn't make it into the average family's garage anyway. That doesn't mean it's not worth swooning over, though. Speaking as someone with the whole family unit + dogs at home, staring at pictures of this thing is the grown-up equivalent of the Countach poster I had on my bedroom wall back when being a grown-up was the furthest thing from my mind.

Press release after the jump.

[Source: BMW]
    %Gallery-1849%Continue reading Geneva Preview: BMW shows off M5 Touring

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments
    BOLD MOVES: THE FUTURE OF FORD A new documentary series. Be part of the transformation as it happens in real-time[​IMG]

2. HT69wagon

HT69wagon Wagons Rule!

I am looking to import one of these, but have a few questions about the gearbox. Has anybody here driven one of these E60 M5's - sedan or wagon? What is that 7 speed robotized manual actually like to drive? I mean, it would seem a bit wierd with the posative shift of the manual, but without that third pedal?

Same, with the manual you can choose what sort of shift feel / how many RPM you carry when you dump the thing - how does the M5 gearbox take that into account?