My '57 DeSoto Shopper

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by NMWagonLover, Sep 25, 2008.

1. NMWagonLover

NMWagonLover New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey everyone. I think that I have finally figured out how to post photos here. I posted the other day in the Introduce Yourself Forum. A number of people wanted to see pix of my project car, '57 DeSoto Firesweep Shopper wagon, so here are some. I'll try to post a few more tomorrow. Have the Best Day everyone!

CaptCarl

Attached Files:

2. NMWagonLover

NMWagonLover New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I found a few others to add to the first page of pictures, here they are. Taken the day I brought Virgil E to the new place I just bought last summer. Virgil was the last thing I brought up here. It almost never rains here, but of course it did on this night:banghead3: Enjoy the new pix.....

Attached Files:

3. StriperSS

StriperSS Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, that's a rare one with the single headlight on each side. Very cool.

4. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for posting the pictures! Really nice wagon! I saw that one of your taillight lenses is broke. I was just wondering if these kind of parts are still available?

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    thats a thing o booty(y)
    i luv old Mopars

6. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Quite nice. Although I would like the old flathead six better.

Yes I'm strange.:biglaugh:

7. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Carl, I need a bib for the keyboard. Love the 'Shopper'! :cheers:

8. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Dang I wasn't fast enough to head off Norman

9. Dyna

Dyna Well-Known Member

Thats very strange with the single head light -- why did they make one model with it?

Cheers Dyna

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Dual headlights were an option back then. Even in 1958, some models still offered dual headlights as optional.

Even in the later 70's, Mid-size Fords like mine, had dual headlights as optional.

11. NMWagonLover

NMWagonLover New Member

Wagon Garage:
    About the headlights. A little history lesson: Up until 1957, DeSotos used Chrysler bodies, chassis, and mechanicals exclusively. For '57 they still used Chrysler stuff, but also introduced a lower cost model they called the Firesweep, which was postioned between Plymouth and Dodge. To keep costs low, they used Dodge bodies and mechanicals. The two upper line cars were the Fireflite, and then just below it, the Firedome. These had Hemi engines and threed speed Torque Flite transmissions. They are referred to as Senior DeSotos. The Firesweeps had Poly motors and two speed Powerflite trannies. (A lot of people don't realize it, but Hemi heads will bolt directly onto the Poly motor.)The Chryslers and Chrysler based DeSotos of '57 had either one or two headlamps depending on which state they were sold in. Not all states allowed dual headlights then. The Dodges, and the lower line DeSoto had single light systems. If you look closely, the Chrysler bodied cars had headlamps in buckets situated above the grill, with body work betweem them and the grilles. The Dodges had healights that were incorporated into the grill to some degree. The Dodges and Firesweeps shared the piece of eyebrow trim that goes over the headlights, and sweeps down across the front of the hood. The Chryslers had no trim like that. Hope this clears it up.
    I had wanted a '57 Mopar wagon for many years. I wanted a Desoto, (1st choice) or Chrysler. Because I especially liked the four lamp headlights on those cars. When I found the Firesweep, I was a bit disappointed that it had only one headlight, and couldn't be retrofitted to duals. But the more I look at it, the more I like the way it looks. I can't wait until I can start working on it. I've had it for three years and have not been able to do anything with it so far as other priorities have come up. But this spring should be the time. Every time I look at Virgil, I just imagine how cool he'll look when finished. I will definitely be changing the color from the boring original white to a Turquoise body with a Black roof and lower sweepspear.

CaptCarl

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Carl. We had quite a few 1955 to 1958 mopars, mostly NY and IMP, but we did get a few plymouths and dodges from then too, in our family Junkyard business. I must have missed those grille details you mentioned. We did have a pair of 58 Chryslers, one with single and one with duals that weren't NYers. Someone may have changed the front end.

13. suburban61

suburban61 New Member

lovely rare mopar wagon! the single headlights are also often known to be an early production feature, and also what you said about the different states... the single headlight desotos [well one on each side of course] are rare and often highly desired because of this... nice to name the 'D' Virgil after the great man himself! virgil exner is my hero also! fabulous bet you cant wait till all the restos done! cheers adriana

14. NMWagonLover

NMWagonLover New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Adriana,
    I loose sleep at night thinking about doing this car, how I want it to look tec, etc, etc... But right now, I bought a house last year that still needs a fair amount of work. My daily driver, a 1986 AMC Eagle 4X4 Wagon still needs a few things. I also have a 1950 Spartan Royal Mansion 33 travel trailer, and a '63 Caddy that could both use some work, and hey, while we're at it, let's not forget that good old CaptCarl is still waiting for that Liver Transplant, which will cost a fortune, and take 6 months to recover from. I imagine that before I get home from the hospital, my other half will hide my toolbox as well as the car so I won't go out and work on it:)

Have The Best Day
    CaptCarl