1964 ford questions.....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by adavis, Oct 29, 2014.

1. adavis

adavis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    So my 1964 Country Sedan is slowly coming out of a 40 year hiatus, but I have a couple things that are holding me up. First, the rear window seems to be stuck up. This isn't good because I can't open the rear door with the window up, and with the door in the closed position I can't see a way to get inside the door to get to the motor or window mechanism. Any suggestions or thoughts on what I should do? It seems like a very poor design but maybe I'm missing something (hopefully).
    Second, the gentleman that I bought the car from gave me two original keys, but unfortunately they are both for the ignition. Is there a "key code" or some other way to have keys cut for the original door locks and glove box? I see there are lock/key sets on ebay but my locks are fine....I just need a key.
    Thanks for any info. Hopefully with a little luck she'll be driving around the block by the weekend.

2. Skink

Skink Sexypants

Wagon Garage:
    A locksmith should be able to cut the keys for the older cars fairly simply. Not sure if the dealers could do it cheaper or not. The key patterns for the older cars repeat themselves, too, so it may be that another key for a ford in the prior years and a few years after may even fit.

3. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Very true here we used to keep buckets of keys at the yard I worked at. Simply because you could almost always find a replacement!

And your window could be stuck up on the weatherstripping? can you hear the motor engaging? If it is not engaging make sure fuse isn't blown and you have juice, if you do try this. Get inside the back of the car DEAD CENTER of the rear door have someone engage it and hold it while you give it a GOOD SOLID CRACK with your closed fist use the lil finger side of your fist! Very possible it has "lost ground" and this will sometimes get it to engage you may have to do this a few times for it to work.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  4. adavis

adavis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the info guys. Is there a "key code" somewhere on the car or the lock cylinders that I need to give to the locksmith?
    I can hear the window motor engage but it only went down 1/8" and now won't move up or down. The dome lights dime when I click the switch. I'll get a buddy to work the switch while I push on the window and see if that fixes it.
    THANKS!

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I had this problem once with a girl I knew. She was very stuck up and looked down on everyone. We all just ignored her, and eventually she realized the error of her ways. Perhaps if you just ignore the window for a while, it will reach the same conclusion. :)

6. ChiefDanGeorge

ChiefDanGeorge Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Even down here in the boonies we have a few mobile locksmiths. One drives a one ton 1950 Chevy panel truck. From what I understand they have a thingie they probe the key hole with to figure out the key pattern.
    Much the same as with a girl that's stuck up jaunty.:rofl2:

8. riverz

riverz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I pulled out the door cyl and took it to the lock smith on my car and had a key made from that. If you take them the cyl it's a whole lot cheaper.

9. adavis

adavis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Went to my local 80+ year old locksmith and he said "no problem". Just had me take the lock cylinder from the driver's door to him and he read the number on it, then cut me a new pair of keys for $4. They work in the doors and glove box. I love it when things are that simple (and cheap). Thanks!

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I'm not sure if it applied to '64 MY, but I know at some point, Ford provided a pair of tags with the Protect-O-Plate that had the key codes. If you have all that stuff (like what I salvaged with my '83 CP) in the glove box, take a look and see if you have a couple aluminum tags on a ring.

Take a look at post #18:
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30862&page=2

The first photo has the key tags.

11. adavis

adavis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    One final note.....The driver/passenger door locks are the same as the ignition key. The TAILGATE lock is different. It is the same key as the glovebox, but the glovebox only has 3 tumblers....not 5 like the tailgate. I had to pull the tailgate lock assembly and take it to the locksmith. He was able to cut me three keys (two original early 60's Ford keys that he had on the shelf and a spare brass key for the safe) for $10. Now I just have to figure out how to get the dang tailgate window regulator reinstalled....