Hi from sunny South Africa

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by RamblerRogue440, Jan 27, 2015.

1. RamblerRogue440

RamblerRogue440 New Member

Nelspruit, Mpumalanga Province, South Africa
    Hi all wagoneers,
    Newby from South Africa, busy buying a 1969 AMC Rambler Rogue 440 here, and would like to have it stock standard, it really is in good condition as can be seen in the pics.

Thanks for looking,
    Johann

Attached Files:

2. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Nuthouse we call Home. Great introduction, and what a fantastic wagon! Aside from the back bumper it looks pretty close to original and in terrific condition. It is too bad you can't have a rear number plate like the one on the front, so it can go where the designers meant it to be. One safety note, though. I am guessing that regulations say that tail pile must exit at the back of the car, worse luck. Wagons in North America generally have them exit at the side so exhaust gasses don't get sucked into the car. If possible, I would reroute the end of the pipe to have it as far outboard as possible; under the reverse lamp would be safer than the current location. Good luck with the old girl. He sure to start a build thread in the Projects section. We would love to watch as you bring her back to her former glory.

3. RamblerRogue440

Hi Mike,

The rear bumper is the standard bumper as sold with the AMC's here in SA. The numberplates needs to be changed when I change ownership, and I will go back to the square type for the front and back. Great advice on the pipe outlet, thanks, will do that ASAP. The rest looks good, also comes with the original hub caps, will have a look and decide if I want to convert back to that.

Thanks,
    Johann

Attached Files:

4. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum!

5. nitoh

nitoh Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome!!!!

6. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome RamblerRogue440!

7. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    welcome to our home away from home

8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the forum. That looks like a nice station wagon.
    Personally I run all tail pipes out the rear and add chrome tips. I haven't died from it yet. :rofl2:Altho now and then I feel dizzy!:yahoo:
    See Mike, even new and fancy cars run the pipes out the rear..... BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo won't be a one-and-done model

Those bumers appear straight but stained with rust. Looks unusual to me. Is that normal for your weather there?
    Try regular Coca Cola soda on a mild S.O.S. pad.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  9. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Very cool wagon and it appears to be a good solid straight body on it. I did not know these were assembled and sold in South Africa and have never seen pictures of one with right hand drive before. In the U.S., these were badged as "Rambler American" and the name "Rogue" was only applied to the 2 door pillarless hardtop. Guessing the "American" name might not be a good name, from a marketing standpoint, for cars sold in other countries.

10. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

A lot of the right hand drive cads were built in knock down kit form here in Canada and then shipped over seas for assembly. Since Canada is a Commonwealth Country, import duties were much lower this way.

When it comes to thebtwil pipe, ibam thinking of the venerable Volvo 245. It used a different tail pipe than the sedan. Since European regulatikns state the pipe must exit out the rear, not side, of the car, the 245 has 2 extra bends to bring the outlet over, under the left tail lamp, instead of the sedan pipe which comes straight out under the tail gate. As it is, drive with a long load, tail gate open, and you best have the front windows wide open or the fan on high, otherwise you can smell exhaust. If you can smell it, you ARE being poisoned by carbon monoxide.

11. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome. That car does look like it's in great shape for its age, IMHO; Bumpers aside, I don't see major rust issues in the photos posted. How are winters there, if it even snows?

12. RamblerRogue440

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

As far as AMC's in South Africa goes, according to the www:
    "The compact Rambler Americans were exported from the U.S. and Canada, as well as produced in other markets by AMC subsidiaries or assembled under license. It was manufactured in Australia, Iran, Mexico, and in Argentina, an offspring of the third generation American restyled by Pininfarina, the IKA Torino, later Renault Torino, was developed and made between 1966 and 1982. In Iran it was assembled from completely knocked down (CKD) kits and the models were named Aria and Shahin. Rambler Americans were built in South Africa starting in 1961 by Stanley Motors (controlled by the Rootes Group) and from 1964 by American Motors South Africa (Pty) Ltd...."

AMC's were not marketed as "American Motors" but as "Ramblers", thus we have Rambler Rogue's (American Rambler) and Rambler Hornet's to name 2.

This car spent its life up to know with 2 owners: the first was from new (1969) until 1974 when the current owner's father bought it, and they had it ever since..... The dad passed away a couple of years back, and the son kept it for sentimental reasons. He realised however that he's not getting to get it fixed up again, and decided to sell.

The wagon stood for the last 12 years, and I'm only fetching it end of February. But the body is straight, with minimal body rust. Needs a good service and check-up, new battery etc, and should be ready to go.

Originally it was white with red interior - see original pic attached, and the current owner's dad had it repainted red with brown interior in 1984....
    The rims are also not the standard ones but I quite like them.

[​IMG]

The car was in Newcastle, in the northern parts of Kwazulu Natal province for the last 30+ years, where there's almost no snow. It will now move to Nelspruit, in the Mpumalanga province (close to the world reknowned Kruger National Park) where it NEVER snows....

I will start a project thread as soon as I have it, but all your comments are appreciated, as there is very little knowledge and info on the AMC's in South Africa.

Thanks,
    Johann

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Johann for the information and update. This is what keeps the group interesting and entertaining. Good luck.

14. Longroof79

Longroof79 Well-Known Member

:Welcome: Johann,
    Your Rambler is a cool find. I also never knew there were RHD versions of these cars.
    It does appear to be pretty straight and solid. I also like the wheels.

Thanks for posting the pics and giving us a little history on the car.
    Good luck on the purchase...and we'd like to see and hear how the project is progressing.

15. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: