1971 Mercury Montego MX

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by winged one, Apr 23, 2014.

1. winged one

winged one Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Yes, it's been around for a long time, 2 years if not more with the same pics.... a lot can change in that time. I do like it though.

3. zzzizxz

zzzizxz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    From this angle, the headlights make it look cross-eyed!

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Was this built or ordered originally like this? The seller is a little vague on that.

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It would be very, very rare if was built that way, Kevin - with the top loader 4-speed, console and buckets. Most probably someone got the parts and put it together. With the 351C, this is going to be a pretty quick wagon with the right gearing.

Needs the inner headlights - stupid look.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  6. retropia

retropia Well-Known Member

Resto-mod!

7. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

What's with the snow plow on the front? I am guessing the hi beams do not work well:)

8. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

My guess is that the high beam head lamps were removed for a ram air intake, a la Thunderbolt. Aiming for that 'muscle car look'. High beams will still work, though, as the outer bulbs are dual filament, so both high and low beams. That snow plow is supposed to smooth airflow over the front of the car, too. All in all, not a bad looking wagon, but that exterior needs to be returned to stock in my opinion.

9. Noneya

Noneya Nietzsche Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, this wagon has been around for a while. I've had it for nearly 11 years, and have "tried" to sell it once before.

I purchased the car with the original driveline: a fresh 351C with a weak C4. I added the Toploader, console, aluminum driveshaft, and the reproduction Cyclone front snow plow. After the Toploader, the rear gear needed changed--a 3.89:1. A rear sway bar helped thing out as well. Replacing the carpet freshened up an otherwise very nice interior.

Aside from those changes, everything else is pretty much as it was when I purchased it. The Cyclone buckets and dash pad were already in place, as were the original Ford Magnum 500's. The original paint is still on the car as well. When I purchased the car, the owner had amber bulbs in place of the high beams, but he wanted to keep them, so they were removed. While driving back home with the car on the trailer, and looking at it in the rearview, I came to like the stupid "Thunderbolt" and late 60's/early 70's NASCAR Mercury look. The snow plow helped to hide the core-support and strut rod bushings, which were hard on the eyes (and very visible, probably due to the Cross Country Package that was ordered with the car, according to the original window sticker). This is not any type of rationalization or justification for those of you who don't like the look, after all, I bought and modified the car to please myself--your preferences and tastes are utterly irrelevant.

While it is true that a lot can change on a car over the years, very little has on this wagon. A properly maintained vehicle can remain in nice condition for many, many years.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  10. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for filling in the blanks, Noneya!

Please don't take offense to some of the personal comments. We sometimes get pretty opinionated about what we see out there that's for sale. Some guys like a totally 'stock' look. Others (like me) get ticked when we see a nice classic wagon that gets ruined with some idiotic modification. What's been done to yours falls into the 'popular modifications' category, and I don't think many would have a big issue with it. We've all got our personal preferences.

Welcome to the SWF, BTW....

Marshall

11. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

Noneya - no offense intended. I fall into the leave it stock looking group. The Wagon sounds like a nice one. If I was trying to sell it I would put the front end back to stock. I understand building it for yourself but when it comes time to sell you get a better price if it is close to stock. Good luck with the sale!:Welcome:

12. Noneya

Noneya Nietzsche Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, we all have our particular tastes and preferences. Usually, I prefer stock or period "correct" modifications. The original intent for the wagon was to literally make a Cyclone station wagon. At one time I was seeking a Cyclone hood with the integrated scoop, and Cyclone "bulls-eye" grille with correct headlamp assemblies, but the cost of those pieces, if you can find them, are obscene. I like the notion of a factory built Cyclone wagon. Some time back, a guy built a Cyclone Ranchero, using a 70-71 Ranchero with a Cyclone front clip. The car was redone by a real artist--it was gorgeous.

As for resale value, back to stock would appeal to some, but not all. I definitely prefer this wagon's light modifications to the original look. A sporty wagon, a Cyclone wagon, that Mercury could have built for the man who wanted a performance car, but had to haul around a bunch of screaming brats--and for that, Mercury could have offered a Sound-proof Partition option to the build-sheet.

13. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Replace the headlights and it would be about perfect for me (iffn I had any money that is ;)).

mike

14. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Definitely replace the headlamps, if the parts are still there. I don't know about there, but here it would be a MUST do to be able to put the car on the road. The snow plow is one of those personal things, but since no permanent change was made it is a take it or leave it, as the buyer wishes. Certainly the car looks great. Wish I could afford it. Love those Montego wagons.

15. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    I've learned from some real estate professionals that when you're selling a house, you have to 'de-personalize' it. Put family photos away; get rid of any 'personal' decoration that would be specific to you (i.e: weird colors, strange things tacked to a wall, nudie calendars in the garage, etc.). This helps a prospective owner visualize the house as 'theirs'

Seems this same idea applies to vehicle sales. I've seen some guys with very 'personalized' custom vehicles have a very hard time selling them because of this factor. Giving an example, a Corvette station wagon is cool by our 'station wagon standards', but is a lot harder to sell to most of those who are looking for a Corvette.

[​IMG]

Your missing headlights is really no big deal, but putting them back in eliminates a lot of questions.