Clam Shell

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by johnhof, Jul 6, 2009.

1. johnhof

johnhof New Member

I have seen the term Clam Shell used a number of times in threads here about wagons. What does this term refer to?

Thanks,
    John

2. CheesyRider

CheesyRider New Member

I believe "clamshell" refers to a design in which the tailgate disappears in the floor, and the glass disappears into the roof. My grandfather used to have one of them:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here I thought is was a tight-lipped ex-wife or a cheap banker!:rofl2:

4. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hahaha, Stormin', that's funny! (Coming from a former banker:biglaugh:)

I'm not sure of the origin of the "clamshell" term, but GM originally referred to their full size wagons' tailgate design (1971 to 1976) as "Glide-Away" in their advertisements.

5. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, well you can't get either one to open the purse strings! :D:lolup:

6. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold New Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's a shame the 91 thru 96 GM wagons didn't have this feature, what a great idea!

Clark

7. Autoholic

Autoholic 1LOW50

Such a COOL design, I can't remember when I last saw one of these in action. Bummer that they have become victims of the Demolition derby scene.

8. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I had gone to a durby a few weeks ago to pick up some parts for my '78 (made some contacts from durby guys).

There where two clamshells in the durby. One got clocked in the first round and the other never went in. I asked the owners where they got the clams......both where from Texas.

A little piece of me died when I heard that. So I went up to the 'uncrashed" clam, no frame or body rot, looked to be a solid car, and it was a Buick. He claimed to pay $1,200 for it.

I also like the 70s Lincoln Mark series (4 & 5), there where a few of them. It made me sick to my stomach to see them there. My first Lincoln was a '75 Mark 4, looked like one off the TV show "Cannon".

9. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, my '72 Caprice wagon has the clamshell style gate, but I need to do some work on the window motor or switch. The window will open (raise) under power, but it wont close under power. I have to close it manually. Neat design, but they are prone to problems and weather stripping for the gate is almost impossible to locate.

Some "clamshell" wagons have power gate as well... the power window was standard on all, but the gate was manual as standard. Power was optional on the gate. Mine has the manual gate.

009.jpg

007.jpg

10. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Kingswood, I love your wagon! So clean and beautiful. 72 is one of my favorite years of Chevrolet and my favorite for Chevy clamshells.
    Just wondering, have you lubricated the tracks of your power window?

11. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I agree. I think two years stand out for all American cars. 68 and 72. In my mind the best styling for all since the mid 50's. Also never to be seen again. All the stylist retired or died off apparently.

12. Sue

Sue New Member

Wagon Garage:
    my Olds Cruiser tailgate

Clamshell...how cool is that? I would love to have one of those. My tailgate opens like a big barn door. :29: Looks like it might open down like a regular tailgate but we can't get it to.....my friend Scott gave us the door handle for the interior (that it was missing when we bought the car) but still the door only opens "barn ways" from the outside. I like to threaten the kids in the far back that they won't be let out! :tiphat:

13. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sue - I had a '89 Pontiac Safari (same as your Custom Cruiser) and I could not get my gate to lay down (like a truck tailgate) either. Something was stuck or something. It would only swing open.

Thanks for the comments on my wagon... its slowly coming along. I am changing the transmission fluid/filter tomorrow. I worked on the Grand Ville today, installing new valve cover gaskets. They were the originals and the car is 37 years old. :49:

14. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Familiar looking wagon..:)

Lubrication is a must to have the tailgate keeps working as it should: remove both the inspection lids first clean the slides thorough as far as you can reach and than lubricate with gravite. Same for the tailgate window cables

15. tsynek

tsynek New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey 72kingswood estate and all other clammy owners out there. I just got a 76 wagon rear bumber from a nice derby guy named Jeremy Gaddis in South Carolina. He shipped it UPS to Houston. It was huge, my apartment manager had to have it propped up in the corner for a few days until I could get it. I sent him a money order first because I was desperate for the part. I had already received the wrong bumber from a junkyard i found on junkyard dog. Another bumber deal went bad when the bumber was stolen for scrap metal according to the guys who has pulled it off the wagon in michigan or up there somewhere. Anyway so I just sent this guy the money order and prayed he was honest and he was. His number is 803-309-7433. He has clammy parts for sale! By the way my original bumber has rot throughout the reinforcement, and his was solid.:thumbs2: SAVE THE CLAM!