1988 colony park hotrod?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by queeque, May 20, 2007.

1. queeque

queeque New Member

do u guys think a 88 mercury colony park with wood on the side look bad ass hottrodded? if so could u give me any ideas on what to do to it. [i dont want to spend a fortune on the parts] could i get parts for it at a local junkyard?

2. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Why not!

Of course I'd think that a nice Mustang 5.0 GT motor would do the trick. Or, a Lincoln 4.6 ohc would be nice. How about a 5 or 6 speed manual too?

This is from a guy who has a 200 ci six in his.....:tiphat:

3. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    How about an intro first?

:burnout:

4. oldsmike

oldsmike Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    You asked for an opinion...

I like woody's, real ones, plastic woodgrain just seems "fake" to me. That's why my wagon sports no plastic stickers. I'd lose the massive roof rack too. You can see pictures of mine under "oldsmike" in the gallery.

If you are on a budget, go find a budget 460 ford out of the boneyard. I would look for one 1970 or earlier w/hi-comp pistons. Yes, they are hard to find but they can be found. You need BIG torque to get that heavy sled moving, a small block 302 isn't going to do that for you.

Put in a used trans and torque converter that was used behind a 460 of the era. I'm a GM guy so I don't know what was used. The driveshaft will most likely need to be lengthened or shortened with the new drivetrain.

You will need some gear multiplication to work for you if you have the cash. Adding a 4:10 gear will do a lot to get that big pig moving. You most likely won't find a rear with that kind of gear used so a new ring and pinion installed will be in order. If you are lucky to have posi-traction, you might be able to use it with the new gear, otherwise, you will need to buy a new one or get one used out of the boneyard.

Engine used - $500
    Trans used - $300
    Modify Driveshaft - $150
    Rear Pumpkin update - $750
    Misc: $500 (carb rebuild, ignition, motor mounts, frame mounts, trans mount, exhaust, etc)
    Total: $2200

A word to the wise, hot rodding is not a hobby for those watching their pennies. There is nothing cheap about being a gearhead. I have years of experience in being one :D

These changes will give you a good foundation to build from. Will probably run mid 14's or so. Plan for a solid week to do the update. You will need experienced help to do it. You can always add the headers, performance intake, cam, torque convertor, ported heads, etc, later. This job is big enough just with what was mentioned. When you are done, this thing will suck gas like it comes out of your kitchen faucet. Expect 10 mpg or worse.

So concludes my idea of hot rodding...

Good Luck!
    Mike

5. customcruiser89

customcruiser89 New Member

I go for the 4.6 but I'd leave it alone besides that. Keep it original but that's me. I'm not all for drag racing. I like to watch but I like orignals. I I do like the crappy looking wood grain though. I need to have mine fixed.

6. customcruiser89

customcruiser89 New Member

Then again if it already has a 5.0 then the 460 would be a nice choice.

7. queeque

queeque New Member

i would like to do those mods mike, but this car is going to be a daily driver and i dont want to spend lots of money on gas, but if i ever happen to find a 460 i will be sure to buy it. i would like to get posi for it and some nice drag radials. right now the car needs new exhaust system, new engine, new wheels. i would also like to make it sound or rev more like a muscle car, and have a lot of HP.

8. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

My friend, you are in the wrong car if your worried about gas milage.:rofl: The 460 won't do it either. It'll suck money directly out of your wallet! But, it definately would go fast. There's nothing better than big cubes and big torque.:evilsmile:

However, the 4.6 from a 98 Mark VIII with the 4 speed OD tranny would probably improve gas milage and get ya 300 hp as well, stock. Those Mark VIII's are getting well over 20 mpg highway and high teens around town and the weight just as much as that wagon.:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

Also, my two cents....keep the squire look. Nobody would expect a squire hot rod.:burnout:

9. queeque

queeque New Member

ill probably try to get a 460 then. the car already has a 302 in it. what kind of exhaust system should i get?

10. queeque

queeque New Member

would a 351ci engine be good for my wagon?

11. oldsmike

oldsmike Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Decisions...

You really need to think what you want to make out of your wagon. If you want a tire melting cruiser that will somewhat hold its own on the street. Follow the plan I've laid out to you. I'm not sure that is what you really want or what you should really do. If this is the only car you have, don't do anything to it. You need reliable transportation, not a heavily modified drivetrain. If you do own another vehicle, then do whatever you want to it, it is your car after all.

Decide what you want, make a plan and follow it. Have a budget and don't overspend, otherwise, you will have a nice wagon all torn apart and it could end up all parted out because you ran out of money, time, patience or all three.

If you don't have 3 grand burning a hole in your pocket, in your bank savings account, I would not even consider the plan I put out there. Based on your comments so far and your concern for mileage, I think it's fair to say that the money isn't there. Give it a good tune-up, a nice throaty turbo muffler on it and a nice stereo and you'll be dollars ahead. Plan the hotrod thing later once you have another daily driver and the bucks in the bank.

My 2 cents,(y)
    Mike

12. queeque

queeque New Member

i have 2 other cars i can drive. i might be driving the wagon to school next year and im getting a job in the summer so i will probably get minimum wage[thats my pricer range]. i want to make my wagon into a dragster/cruiser. the engine leeks oil really bad and the exhaust system is all rusty and has big holes in it.the parts that i would like to add or replace for the car are:engine, wheel/rims, dual exhaust system, rear axle, and maybe add a scoop to it. i want an engine 302 to 402 big with fuel injection. any ideas what engine i should get? and ideas on what rims i should get? whats the best dual exhaust system for the money? whats a good rear axle[or gears for posi] i could get? and should i put a scoop on it? if so what kind?