Couple questions on 77 Chevy wagon

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by jlckmj, Mar 2, 2015.

1. jlckmj

jlckmj Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I found a really nice clean Chevy wagon, low miles, no rot, not loaded with options, but a nice driver.

Question #1
    The head liner is falling down like most do. How much for a new head liner, and where can I find one? Is it hard to put in yourself?

Question #2
    The air conditioning does not work, I realize that it will have to be converted over to a modern system, how much would that run me? Is that something a reasonably talented back yard mechanic can do themselves?

Thank in advance,
    Jim

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I did my own headliner back in 2009, it was my first and pretty easy and cheap. 5 years later and only now I'm starting to get some small blisters in the corners. I learned a lot and will do my Buick this summer, I think what I learned the most was over kill on the glue in the rounded corners, as you will read.... well lets just say you can always take back a un-used can, I had to stretch my glue and now 5 years later it's starting to come back and haunt me.

Post # 28........
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/f...477&highlight=do+it+yourself+headliner&page=3

Member Krash kadilac had a shop do his and it was not that expensive, and they did a real nice job using factory material witch I did not. I can't remember what he paid, maybe he will se this thread and chime in.

can't help you on the A/C... shot in my wagons but it's never been a concern for me.

3. jlckmj

jlckmj Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Fat,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Great pictorial on yours. Is a 77 Chevy wagon going to have a pan of sorts under the cloth and foam similar to yours? If so, I can visualize doing it myself then. I have done head liners in older vehicles with the hoops, I have just never had the head liner of a newer (if 77 is considered newer) vehicle.

(by the way, you need a new roof on your garage lol)

Jim

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

As far as I know but don't quote me, it should be the same style pan for the headliner in the later 70's models.... stick your fingers up into it and you will know rite away.

(by the way, I replaced the garage roof 3 years ago, and cleaned up the drive way, and.....:D)

5. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Changing headliner is a lot quicker in a Wagon than a Sedan. At least you have a window in the rear that comes down on the Wagon! But, Sedans require the whole headliner board (or whatever it's called) to be taken out a door or the windshield to be removed.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The A/C question can only be answered with a pic of the car's underhood, as we'd need to see what's there to see if an R134a conversion can be done. If it can, you certainly will have a bunch of work to flush out the evaporator and condenser cores and lines, drain the compressor and change the orifice tube (if it has one). Then you have to change the receiver/dryer, load the compressor, condenser and evaporator with fractions of the total PAG oil amount, reassemble all connections with new HNBR O-rings, pull the system down under vacuum to 30" to test for leaks (it must hold the 30" for 30-45 minutes, depending on outside temperature). then, lastly, you have to install charging hose adaptors in the right places (low and high pressure ports), hook up the hoses and charge the system. If you can find R12 at all, it's about the same price as an R134a conversion, but then you lose money on the next R12 recharge. The last time I priced R12, it was $110/lb., and R134a was $30/lb.

7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I had mine done at a local upholstery shop. I think it was $425, IIRC. And if you have it done, don't forget to have them re-do the sun visors as well. I forgot.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

8. jlckmj

jlckmj Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Silver,
    That is what I was looking for, between that and some reading on other forums, it will be a tough choice to DIY or have done. Although I am really cheap and I HATE spending $100 or more per hour to have someone else do the work.

Krash,
    Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for, seems that there is a pan of sorts up there under the foam, I don't see an issue doing that one myself if I get the car.

Thanks, Jim

9. zzzizxz

zzzizxz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've got the exact same car as Krash, and I had the same guy who painted my car do the headliner.
    Well, he didn't use nearly enough glue, and within a couple months it started falling again. Since I didn't want to bother him, I just bought a roll of headliner material and spray glue and redid it myself.
    It took all of an afternoon and about $60 in material, and It looks just as good as the professional job, plus I know I used enough glue.
    On the plus side, I glued the old material to the top of the board to add a little more insulation/sound barrier.
    I even had enough material to redo the visors.
    If you've done hoop headliners yourself, this shouldn't be any more difficult.

10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    If you've done hoop headliners yourself, this shouldn't be any more difficult.

I think the newer headliners are easier. Messier too! I replaced several of the hoop wire type. My 55 Chevy wagon still has a few wrinkles.
    The only problems with the glue in type is getting good adhesive. I used a spray on, Permatex might be what I used in a blue and white can.
    If you don't want the original cloth a thin vinyl will work well, or even thin carpet like I used in an 87 Chevy van.
    If you can find remnents or "flea Mkt" material it's well worth it just trying to do it yourself.The worse thing that can happen is gluing your cat or yourself to the roof!:rofl2:

11. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I paid a bit more to have the headliner replaced on my 78 Impala, The Local Auto apolstery shop charged $898 for the head liner (they also had to replace the rear base board as was severly warped. Looked like the roof rack mounting screws had let water in at some point.) And they recovered the Sunvisors Also.
    The A/C is a trickier question on cost. You will probably have to replace the compressor, drier, and Belt. So those parts alone will be around $400. If you do plan on converting to R124 you will also need a new Pressure switch (the new refrigerant operates at a different PSI than the old R12) But you should be able to order a rebiult compressure with either style pressure switch. Add the cost of R124 and if all the other componants are good, such as Condensor, evaporator, hoses, ect...... The cost should be between $500-$800
    The shop that convertd my car only had to replace the Compressor and drier when they repaired and converted my 78. Cost was less than I expected at around $650.

I know it hurts paying that kind of $$$ I only paid $1800 for the car at auction and those and tires is all that was wrong with it. I ended up paying around the ame amount of $$$ to have those 2 items done, and 4 new Tires. But it took me 4 years to actually have the head liner redon, and then anouther year of my complaining about No A/C to have it done. My wife and our Greyhounds are much Happier riding in the Impala now.

And I have those done just in time to sell it as I have no room for it with the recent Purchase of the 78 Catalina Safari.

12. zzzizxz

zzzizxz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's not quite exactly right. The amount of work you'll need depends on whether or not the system leaks or not.

If it doesn't leak, and the compressor isn't seized, you really don't need to replace anything.
    Most shops will replace most of the components because the markup is so huge, it brings in a ton of money for them.

I thought major work was necessary as well, until I found an old dude who has been doing A/C work his whole life.

I took my 1982 olds 88, and my 81 wagon to him to have the A/C converted, and he set me straight on what was really necessary. This is what he did on both cars. Granted, my compressors both worked, and the system didn't have major leaks

1. Recover coolant in the system (if any)and make sure the system is depressurized
    2. Pull out the orifice tube and blow it out with compressed air (you can replace it if you want but it's not necessary)
    3. Put the whole thing under a vacuum for at least 30 minutes at ~50lbs at least (This pulls any water and old oil out of the lines in the form)
    4. Put in new oil with leak seal
    5. Put in 134 coolant.

He did my wagon two summers ago, and I only had to top off the system once, which is to be expected in any r12-134 conversion.

You also need to put on the hose adaptors to be able to use the quick connect fittings that usually come with 134, but those come as a $5 kit that you screw onto the ports. And, you really only need the high side port to put in the coolant.

I paid him $300 each time he did the work, but he was only charging me $200. Considering I was getting quotes from shops in the $700-$900 range, I figured tipping him well was worth it for him to remember me!

13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Exactly. Most shops have convinced people most parts need replaced.
    In reality I'd just by a Vintage Aire or Southern Aire kit, or one somilar and replace everything if I was worried about bad parts.
    As for the headliner it's been awhile. But I saw shops advertising $100 or less for cars down here. Again apholsterers are like a lot of others, they charge a fortune for the labor.
    These thing are our toys for a hobby. Ask around, find some helpful friends, and do it yourself. Really, how much work is a headliner unless you want it factory original?
    I'd replace mine with knotty pine before I'd pay that much.

14. jlckmj

jlckmj Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Now there is a thought (just kidding)

But I feel pretty much the same way, I very seldom take a vehicle in to get it worked on. In fact, that is the reason I am looking for a 60's to 70's wagon. I understand them, and there is nothing that I can not do if I wish to...

I HATE COMPUTERS, (at least the one's that operate vehicles)

Jim

15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I'd replace mine with knotty pine before I'd pay that much.
    (just kidding) Yea but was I?:rofl2::rofl2::yahoo: