1954 Pontiac Ambulance

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jbignell, Oct 19, 2014.

1. jbignell

jbignell New Member

Here is an ad for 1954 Pontiac Ambulance:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/barrie/1954-pontiac-ambulance/1025841193

Here are some better pictures:
    http://www.paramedicsociety.com/?page_id=442

This ambulance was used in our area since the 1950's and sold and moved out of province in '87 by it's current owner. Our historical society believes that this is the oldest surviving ambulance that was used for patient transport in Nova Scotia.

What do you think a fare price for a 1954 Pontiac Ambulance that isn't running and hasn't been running for over a decade is worth? He is currently asking $5,000.00 CND.

2. jbignell

jbignell New Member

Anyone know if parts are hard to come by? Is this version of Pontiac is it rare? Any information would be helpful.

3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I would say any ambulance from this era is rare, but is it $5000 rare? Being as complete as seller says it is that is a bonus in itself as finding it's ambulance specific parts would be 100 times harder than the Pontiac specific parts.

For historical reasons, IMO this ambulance is as rare as "hen's teeth" too your society and for community but the restoration cost on top of asking price let alone getting it home will be a small fortune.

This car IMO needs to be inspected in person, mainly for rust....rust 'could' be the only thing holding the floors/frame together. In the second link you provided using just one picture as example shows the passenger floor board and it's shot ( pictures came out to large to post on our site), until you or some one you trust can tell for sure the rest of the floors/frame as a whole may be in the same condition.... never trust a seller from out of town IMO.

And I sincerely do not intend to discourage, OK:tiphat: but if restoration comes via donations and volunteers it just may never get completed.
    I'm only saying that because since moving to Vancouver island in 1982 I know of several fire trucks, planes and boats, all vintage be taken on like this and everyone starts off with the best intentions but people move on, the most dedicated pass on, the donation well runs dry for various reasons and as time/years go they have ended up as scrap, forgotten/abandoned. You also need a shop to keep/work on the car. I'm just saying it's something to seriously consider, OK:wave:.... there also has been many fully restored that can and do get seen still today out here but there numbers don't come close compared to ones that didn't make it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014