1979 Dodge Diplomat

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Quite low optioned, in my books. No power windows, no power door locks. Does have leather, a/c and cruise. Does not have the deluxe bumper package with the rub strips. The 318 with the 2 bbl is a bit weak for the car. The 4 bbl was a much nicer driving car, but that was only available with the police package. The 360 is sweet in these. I drove one, once, with the 225. I could walk faster! It made a 1981 Volvo with a carb seem quick! Over all, this is a nice car, but I don't think it is all that unique nor all that special. My guess is he set the starting bid and reserve way too high. I'm betting it is a no sale.

3. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

It's as nice as they get for one of those if that is what you want.

4. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    Very low optioned. I have a Consumer Guide 1979 car price/review guide which could tell me all those options this wagon does not have, starting with power windows, locks, and seat, tilt steering wheel, 8-track/cassette radios, digital clock, electric rear window defogger, and sport steering wheel (3-spoke), and those are only the ones that my '79 Town & Country I owned in 1995 had, not to mention the sunroof, road wheels, and so much more!

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The Old Cars Price Guide puts the value of one of these in #1 condition, which means a car that is better than showroom new, is trailered everywhere it goes, and is never driven, at only $4,000. I'm sure that lots of things go into determining a value for a car like this in very good condition, but I can't believe it's worth his buy-it-now price, which is double this. It is, after all, a station wagon, and we all now how these are valued in the real world as much as we wish it were otherwise.

6. jwdtenn

It is priced too high. I posted on the forum this loaded and much rarer Plymouth Caravelle wagon back in November when it was priced at just $2800. I would have been very interested had it not been on the other side of the country from me.

1981 Plymouth Caravelle Salon
    Yes, I have posted this extremely rare 1981 Canadian Plymouth Caravelle Salon station wagon model previously. But, it is still available for sale, loaded and has new photos, priced to sell at $2800!
    The plush interior looks gorgeous. (y)

Who wants a really beautiful example of one of the very last RWD Plymouth station wagons produced by Chrysler?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3289140410.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    Eight large would buy a '62 Newport Wagon in the same part of the country. With a little negotiation that could include shipping.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/3540810728.html

[​IMG]

Definitely has more potential than a compact Diplomat/LeBaron/Caravelle.

I do like that '81 woodie for $2800 though. Dippy.org is a great place to talk F and M body cars. They are a very tight knit group. I'm only grandfathered in because I had an '84 Diplomat police package back in '97-'98. Miss that car terribly, too.

8. jwdtenn

Wow! This Diplomat allegedly has sold for $6600. I'm skeptical, particularly since there was only the one bid. :49:

This makes that loaded '81 Caravelle look like even more of a bargain.

9. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    I bought a '63 Dodge Custom 880 wagon in 1994, in better condition than the Chrysler above, for a whopping one hundred dollars. Took a battery and fuel to get it running. Put tires, brake cylinders, belts and had the seats redone. Had about $800 it it total. The guy I sold it to three years later drove it several times from OK to Wi and back. I really wish I had not sold that car, but hey!

10. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Those were very nice transition era cars but I too marvel at the price that he apparently got.

mike

11. PlymouthGuy

PlymouthGuy New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The $6600 seems high but I dont think its all that unrealistic. I have seen a lot more spent on cars a lot less "desirable". Remember, there's something for everyone.