Classic station wagons vs classic sedans- which are more expensive?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Titanic Explorer, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Titanic Explorer

Titanic Explorer New Member

I've always thought station wagons were overlooked by car buffs- Most car auctions I've seen contained mainly sedans, and classic car magazines focused mainly on sedans..The only station wagons I've seen that fetched big bucks and great interest was the '57 Chevy Nomad.

This makes me wonder- For the working class stiff (like me) who happens to love classic cars, would the 1955-75 station wagons be less (or more) expensive than most of the sedan counterparts? Most of the classic sedans I love are way out of my price range..

Or is it a case where most families drove their station wagons into the ground, they are much rarer, and thus far more expensive when they come up for sale?
    Given a chance to buy a late 60s Ford LTD sedan or Ford Country Squire wagon- which would be more expensive?

Thanks

2. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

The question you ask is hard because all else being equal I think still the wagons are cheaper....however, the word is out and wagons are getting quite popular. Especially with the over 50 crowd.

I kinda like the wagon in your avatar a lot.

3. Titanic Explorer

I'll try to get a real picture up, my family car was a '72 Dodge Monaco- I loved that car- My folks bought in '72 when i was 4 years old, and had it until '84 when i turned 16- When they let it go, I was as crushed as when our dog died...We had a farm in rural New Hampshire, and gave the wagon to some down on their luck neighbors- they used it for awhile, then junked it, where it was crushed into a cube..

I swear, most local farms had several vintage station wagons in their fields..I remember one farmer neighbor had nearly a dozen 1960-64 Chevrolet wagons in the woods by his field..This was circa '76, and back then, you couldn't give those cars away....
    Those were the days when a used 71 Baracuda could be bought for chump change...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Titanic, you've got to get off the beaten path to find good deals. Just north of you in Maine, for instance:
    http://www.unclehenrys.com/Home.aspx

I selected the Automobile Category and typed in Ford. 7 pages. About 9 1966 to 1969 Fords. Didn't even try Mercury.

You'll see some cars from New Hamphire and other states there too.

North and South Dakota have lots and lots of the big wagons. So does Montana. Since its so cold here in the Prairies, they rarely use roadsalt. It doesn't work when it gets below 5F. So all you get is rusty roofs, from being parked in the farmer's yard waiting for their kids to fix them up.

Maybe try finding a national newspaper list to check out the local classifieds in a region that isn't known for being a rustbelt.

Arizona has some nice project cars too:
    http://www.dvap.com/

5. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Off the beaten path is right, I saw this Plymouth wagon in Shelby Montana in 08 while on a holiday trip and if I'd had the extra time and money I would have grabbed it.
    [​IMG]

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    That probably still runs too. Sitting in a used carlot? Look at the chrome on that thing!

Patrick80 is gonna wanna look at that! He needed some parts I think.

7. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

It was on the side of hwy 2 just after coming in to town from the east.

8. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Patrick80 sees the car! If it were not January and in Montana, I'd definitely be on that, even though it's a four-door car.

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I zoomed in to 400% and still can't make out the phone number. Anyone got some other technique?

10. Titanic Explorer

Thats a nice one!

11. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    yur a better man than me....ida sold the wife and come home with it:rofl2::rofl2:

12. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I tried that once, but then realized she holds the transfer papers!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

13. tsynek

tsynek New Member

Wagon Garage:
    For a good strong wife with nice teeth you could probably get 2 wagons!

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Really!..sheeze if I was'nt a gimped up I could slip her some couph medicine before bed time and get 3 wagons then:evilsmile:

:biglaugh:

15. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wagons arent as desireable as cars. However given enough time on the road anything will become valuable. cars drive the memories in peoples minds. back when you could walk into the Chevy dealer or the Buick dealer and be able to know a car by looking at it. Today if it werent for the Bowtie or the wreath on the Cadillac you cant tell the cars apart. n There was a time when you could look at the body and know it was a Chevy or a Buick or a Cadillac. Thoes days left us over 50 years ago. People long for the days before barcodes, smog laws , headrests or seat belts. When all cars were basic automotive 101 to fix so you could actually do alot of the repairs at home instead of paying some clown 180 dollars to just tell you whats wrong with it according to the computer brain. As the years go by fewer and fewer of these cars survive. Between dumb kids who get that sweet 1969 Camero RS/SS or Plymouth Roadrunner only to wrap it around a tree 4 months after mom and dad bought it for them.

Stationwagons are somewhat offbeat. Like the Ford Pinto, AMC Pacer, or Chevy Vega. The unsung heros of decades gone by as far as classics go. I dont see alot of them on Barrett-Jackson or many on the roads. Classics are described as any vehical 20 years old or older. People see them and think of the times they went camping in one, or to baseball practice in one or maybe to scout camp in one. They were the predicessors to the modern day SUV. People went on long trips in them , towing the family camper with them. But I have faith that just as the Chevrolet Nomad, Pontiac Safari or these wagons will eventually be in demand.

kev id make the trip back to Montana and find the Plymouth. Get the thing running, im sure it wont take alot. Wax the car since it dosent look like the bodys hammered on and you have a nice ride that will turn heads.