1970 Caprice sedan - not a wagon, but had to share!

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by 72KingswoodEstate, Dec 14, 2014.

1. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry, this is not a wagon, but I had to share. It is one of my most favorite cars and here is one in MINT condition and loaded to the MAX!! This car is as nice and clean as a 2015 model!!

1970 Chevy Caprice 4dr hardtop sedan with factory 454!! Power windows, power locks, tilt, power disc brakes, 454, vinyl top, Comfortron A/C, light monitors, rally wheels and more!!

My '69 Caprice 4dr wasn't near as nice as this, but I sure wish I had it back!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231417304689?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

That is nice, but I like the 69 much better than the 70. The grille and tail lights make the 69 look like a completely different car. It will be interesting to see what that car goes for though. A close friend of mine, here in Virginia, is considering selling his 69 Caprice 396 4 door "sport sedan" (pillarless hardtop). He is thinking about selling this Caprice and his 62 Skylark convertible, to get both a 68 Barracuda and a 60's GM full size or mid size wagon. (Oh, and that's my red 67 Coronet convertible in the background in this picture). [​IMG]

3. 65gs76limited

65gs76limited Well-Known Member

All those options and no right side mirror.Beautiful car.

4. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I do as well. I used to have a '69 Caprice 4dr hardtop. It was nicely optioned, but not as nice as this '70. Mine had the 396 and didn't have the light monitors, but it had pretty much everything else. I sold it in 2007 to buy my '72 Kingswood Estate. I actually have regretted that, but cannot change it now. I sold it way too cheap... I let it go for $2200 and it was a good running/driving car, no major rust. It needed paint and interior work. That is my car in the pic below. It also had the hideaway headlights. If I could find another nice/easily restorable 1968-70 Caprice 4dr (with the right options) that someone wanted to trade for a clamshell wagon, I would probably consider trading my '72 Kingswood Estate 402 for one. :)

[​IMG]

Yeah , I noticed that. Looks like one of the very few options it lacks.

My '69, as high optioned as it was as well, it didn't have the passenger side mirror either...

[​IMG]

5. BuLvr

BuLvr USAF Veteran

Wow!

Nice 70 and both the 69's above are rare since they have the hideaway headlights.

My Grandma bought a 69 Impala NEW with 350 and no power options but steering.

I had a 68 Impala Wagon with 396, 12 bolt rear, ralley wheels, AC, and factory dual exhaust. WISH NOW I'd of kept that car, but stripped it back in the early 80's when the gas crunch hit. BUT, the motors still runnin strong in a 70 C20 up in ND!

6. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, the guy that bought my '69 initially wanted it for parts for his '69 Impala coupe and wanted the hide-aways... that is UNTIL he saw how nice the car rode and drove... he said no way I am stripping this car!! He drove it back to my house three weeks later to bring me my tires (he didn't want them) and he had already started to work on it. He had removed the vinyl top and painted it and removed the worn out carpeting. I never seen or heard from him again, nor have I seen the car, but he did live about 70 miles from here. Hopefully she is still out there somewhere motoring along. I really would love to find another. Like I said, if someone with a nice 68-70 Caprice sedan really wanted my wagon, I may be persuaded to swap it. lol.

I want this '70, but way too rich for my blood. lol. Plus, I have nowhere indoors to store it.

7. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Is that his blue Caprice in the pic? How is it optioned on the inside?

8. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

That is my buddy's blue Caprice. You'll have to ask ParkerTom how its equipped. Tom is a member here now.

9. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Cool. Well I see the hide-aways and 396 engine as far as the outside goes. No vinyl top unless it was removed sometime in the past, but it was an option, as was brocade cloth interior. Mine had it, but the original interior was tired. The dash was in good shape though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. parkertom

parkertom Active Member

That 70 is a beautiful car!

The blue Caprice that Jim posted is mine. I have owned it since July of 2012.

It has AC, power windows and power seat. It does not have the brocade interior that your Caprice had.

If I can figure out how to get some photos loaded, I will share a few pics with you.

11. parkertom

parkertom Active Member

Got a few to attach.

Attached Files:

12. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice Caprice, 72Kingswood!

So long as we're sharing, here are a couple of pics of my 1970 Caprice Sport Coupe (sold it last year). Mine was modestly optioned. It was quite literally a barn-find. I found it in TN, stored in a climate-controlled garage where it had been sitting since 1992. It arrived on my door step, cobwebs and all!

Attached Files:

13. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Gorgeous! Gotta say, I love the 1969 model year!

14. parkertom

parkertom Active Member

Another nice looking 70 there too.

My Caprice has been a great car in the time I have had it.

15. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Cool! That blue '69 is a beauty! I have always loved the 65-70 (and 71-74) Caprice sedans. One thing that has always interested me about these older cars is how they are all so differently optioned. I wonder if the brocade cloth interior was optional, or just a different interior pattern you could choose? I noticed yours does not have tilt wheel, but does have power seat... mine was the opposite. lol. It had tilt, but no power seat. It also had power locks, which to my amazement, still worked, as did the windows! I really regret selling that car and IMO, I think I sold it too cheap at $2200. It was a ugly car, lol, but it was a good running car and very tight. There was nary a squeak or rattle and the doors closed with a solid thunk! I think GM "cheapened" up with the interior quality on these cars a bit with the '71 redesign.

One thing on my car was the wheel well chrome trim was getting bad and replacements were very $. I actually broke the left front one try to remove it. If I had of kept mine, I wanted to add the optional fender skirts, but that is not everyones cup of tea.

Yours is a nice one! I love the color combo on it. Hopefully when you do sell, it will get another good home. I would like to find another someday, but too many cars in the yard now... maybe if I ever sell my '72 Kingswood Estate or '73 Grand Ville... OR buy more land. :D I have well over $6000 in my Kingswood Estate and I know I could never get anywhere near that out of it, so I guess I will be hanging onto it for awhile.

That is a beautiful coupe! Yeah, some of those were lowly optioned, which I think made them even more unique. I loved the color-keyed hubcaps.

Yeah, mine was a great car too... smooth as silk. I wish I had it back.

Thanks for sharing the additional photos of the car.

Also, back in the year 2000 (which is when this photo was taken, February 2000 I think, or maybe early 2001), I had a 1971 Caprice 4dr hardtop. Not really high optioned, but it did have A/C, tilt wheel, vinyl top, FM radio, etc. Needed restoration. I paid $400 for it and put on the internet for sale and sold to a guy in Miami for $2300 in very early 2001. It too had a dark green brocade cloth interior.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014