1972 Pontiac Catalina Safari

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jan 28, 2015.

1. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very nice.

I notice that it does not have a rear seat speaker (on the top of the cargo area panel). I thought that was standard on these cars. I guess not and it means my car has another option that I thought was standard. lol.

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

My '73 Custom Cruiser came with the base AM radio and had only two front speakers, one on either side of the dash.

According to the '72 Olds Specs book (I don't have one for Pontiac, but I'm guessing the options were similar), rear speakers were included at no extra charge with any stereo-playing component, of which there were three. AM/FM stereo radio ($233), AM/FM stereo radio with 8-track ($363), or AM-only radio with stereo 8-track player ($215). A single rear speaker could have been ordered with any radio, including the base AM-only, for $18.00.

I believe the two front speakers were standard with any radio.

By the way, the radio antenna in the windshield was standard equipment, even if the car was ordered without a radio. Made it easier to add one, I guess, and it certainly made it easier during manufacture as only one type of windshield had to kept on hand (for each body type as I think the coupes used a different windshield than the sedans and wagon, or something like this).

3. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cool! I learned something new. :) I guess my '72 Kingswood Estate has the $18'ish rear seat speaker. It is AM only and actually only has one speaker on the front dash. My '73 Pontiac Grand Ville has an AM radio only and only has one speaker on the front dash, in the center. My old '72 Electra had a whopping 4 speakers! Two on dash and two on rear shelf package! lol.

Thanks for that info!

If you look sharp, you can see my speaker on the rear panel...

[​IMG]

and the one on the dash...

[​IMG]

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I don't know for sure that two front speakers were standard equipment if you purchased an AM-only radio on an Olds CC. I'm just basing this on what was on my car. It had the base AM radio and two factory-installed speakers in the dash, one on each side. The original owner went totally basic-equipment in many aspects of the car, including the radio, and it seems unlikely he would have sprung for a second front speaker. The car's window sticker, which I had (and still have a scan of), lists the radio for $85 but makes no mention of any kind of extra-cost speaker.

The dealer specs book makes no mention of what speaker setup came standard with the AM radio.

5. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

This is one highly photogenic and spic-and-span 1972 Pontiac clamshell wagon. It may not be as perfect as it looks, but merits a good home!

[​IMG]

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

What's interesting about this photo is that black pavement and white snow work very well with the colors of this car and actually enhance its appearance, I think. Everything is gray/black/white in tone. Except for the houses in the far distance and the red taillight on the right side of the photo, it could have been taken in black and white.

7. jwdtenn

Yes, very sharp photos!

[​IMG]

8. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

I agree I love this car!

9. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Pontiacs came with a single speaker up front with the base AM radio. You could up it to the rear and single front AM or AM\FM, but if you were really cool you could get the AM\FM stereo 8 track with amplifier that had 2 front and 2 rears (on sedans at least, not sure if you could get dual rears on the wagon). At a cost of like $450 in 1972 ;-)

10. jwdtenn

Up to $10,100 with reserve not met and 5 days to go on the auction. This will be very interesting to watch.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  11. jwdtenn

Could this Pontiac wagon get any prettier?! (Answer: no!) :bouncy:

12. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I peronally think it would look better with a nice set of Ralley II wheels, (the torque thrust II wheels are nice, but they seem to be on almost every car lately) and with the drivers side rear wheel well trim. And Like most 71-72 B-body Pontiac's it is missing the drivers side underhood fender Brace rod. My Guess is it interfered with oil refilling with the old round tin oil cans? My 71 Catalina was missing both of them when I bought it. With the newer plastic oil Qts it is not an issue.

But that is NitPicking to be sure.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  13. jwdtenn

I'll give you that : the factory Rally II wheels would be welcome! :yup:

14. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

Nice looking Pontiac... Too bad it was repainted...

15. jwdtenn