Rear Glass Lift Supports

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by onthewagon, Mar 1, 2010.

1. onthewagon

onthewagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    This simple project is becoming laughable!!! I just replaced replaced both struts that support the rear top glass hatch above the tailgate on a 1995 Buick Roadmaster. Now the lifts seem to have it permanently propped open!

What gives (literally and figuratively?!?) I seem to remember that a slight upward lift released the glass, and that one would then gently lower it into place.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

2. 94x2

94x2 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Do you mean they won't let you close the glass at all? Or are just real stiff? Make sure they are for that application and not hood struts. On all 3 of mine they don't like to lift the glass without help but keep it open just fine.

3. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

They may be too much for the glass. Typically the "heavy lift" struts are used for the hood or the whole gate will the light lifts are used for glass.

I have a single strut on my Cougar and it's more than enough. Too much pressure could end up shattering the glass.

4. onthewagon

onthewagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Okay, mystery solved. I decided to give it just a tad more pressure using both hands in a smooth motion and--voila! It closed just fine. In fact, I opened and closed lthe rear glass hatch several times with no problem. I guess I was so paranoid that I was going to break the glass that I was applying almost no pressure at all. Thanks for your help guys.

Stand by for another stupid question soon! (And don't tell me that there's no such thing as a stupid question . . . I'm a teacher, and I know there is an entire universe of stupid questions on any given day!)

5. 94x2

94x2 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm glad it worked out! One thing I want to share because I learned the hard way - after much troubleshooting and head scratching. Make sure the rear defrost still works. I discovered some aftermarket struts are painted and don't get a good contact since the current runs through the strut. Where in the triad are you? I'm just outside of Raleigh.

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The only stupid question, is the one that isn't asked.:rofl2:

7. onthewagon

onthewagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    94x2, thanks for the heads up. I planned on testing the rear defrost this weekend. I'm in the Winston Salem area.