Hi! Nova Scotian '72 Olds Clamshell w/ Pictures

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by no_grain_no_gain, Nov 26, 2008.

1. no_grain_no_gain

no_grain_no_gain New Member

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hello folks! Seems like you've got a great message board happening here, and I'm excited to get in on it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Long story warning.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My name is Josh Noiles and I'm a 21 year-old student from just outside of Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada. I've always had a love of automobiles, especially big American models. My family have been GM people for generations so those are the cars we have the most experience with. I'm studying to become a Funeral Director, and have a big interest in professional cars as well. My brother has just entered his first semester of training to be an auto mechanic, and between us we have a number of projects on the go, and are always scoping out deals, or driving to photograph another old car… much to our parents dismay, as they’re property is never free of old iron.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Although I have been mainly into old Cadillacs, I have had a love of Oldsmobiles as well. They have as much (or more) old man-ish appeal than Cadillacs, and that has a lot to do with my taste in cars. A compliment on my car from an older person mean a lot more to me than one of someone my age or younger, by I digress.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]More in tune with this forum: I had wanted a wagon forever, and a full-size Oldsmobile for longer and ’71-’72 were my favourite years of the 88’s/98’s. I had given up looking for one a while ago as there were non appearing that were in my price-range and not total rusted junk. I had set my sights on another favourite (and presumably more obtainable) Olds: the ’80-’84 Ninety Eights. I kept an eye on the classifieds in case one appeared.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Then last week, I was rolling through the online ads as usual when something caught my eye in the Moncton classifieds: “1972 Oldsmobile.” Upon investigating further, it was a beautiful green Custom Cruiser in original, unmolested shape for only $1200.00. Before I knew it, I had bought the behemoth and was making the 3-hour trip home with it through a terrible snowstorm last Thursday night.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I fell in love with the car the moment I saw it. It was just like the example in my favorite book “Cars of the Sensational ‘70s,” but with a darker shade of green paint and sporting a passenger mirror. It worked great on the way home, braking and shifting smoothly, and getting me through some awful weather. I took it straight to my boss’s garage the next day and gave it a thorough cleaning / de-salting so I can put it away for the rest of the season without worrying about more corrosion.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The facts are these: This car was originally bought in Aurora Ontario (will wears its original paint/dealer sticker) before making its way to New Brunswick, where an elderly gentleman owned it for many years, and had it stored under a carport. After his death, a young neighbor bought it last April and installed new brakes with the aim to have an eye-catching ride. Financially, this didn’t pan out and he sold the car to his friend who panned to use it as a winter-beater, and parked it for the summer.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thankfully, he found a smaller vehicle 3 weeks ago and decided to sell the wagon to make some quick cash to help buy a motorcycle. This is where I entered the story. Luckily for the Olds, I bought it and saved it from the winter salts, and from a life less graceful than it deserves. This car has all it’s original equipment, including hubcaps (one is from a ‘60s Olds however), AM/FM/Eight-Track, ”455 Rocket” air cleaner and Owners Manual. I’m ecstatic about this, because I figured that $1200.00 would not be able to buy a classic clamshell like this, unless it was a mess of re-hashed wiring and had been abused/shoddily repaired. Not the case here, although someone did install an old aftermarket temperature gauge on the passenger side of the dash somewhere along the line.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The car is not without issues, but they will be dealt with: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-The spare tire well and the same area on the opposite side of the car have rust-through in spots/will have to be re-done. The frame and floor are sensationally clean, however.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-The rear bumper has “chrome-tape” patches on the tips to hide some rust holes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-The engine has a slight hesitation in the first inch of pedal travel, and there is an exhaust leak up front under load or harder acceleration. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-The motor for the rear glass’s retraction into the roof is non-functioning/needs rebuilt? I have removed it. Any advice? Tailgate works fine.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Paint is slightly faded with a few scuffs/scratches.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-The windshield is cracked along the bottom.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-Glove box latch loose and won’t stay closed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]That’s all I can think of now aside from general things like oil change and new tires (whitewalls of course).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It has the third row seat, original jack, power windows, but manual seats and locks. No tilt or telescopic wheel, but has the power tailgate. A/C is non-functioning. 455 4bbl/THM 400 trans and wood grain were standard, I believe. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Enough rambling. It’s just tough to paint the full picture… so I’ll include these pictures to help with that! Looking forward to talking with all of you. Hope there are come clamshell enthusiasts/experts here if I’m having difficulty seeing the pearl in this car… although I can’t see that happening.[/FONT]

NOTE: You might have to scroll to the right to see some of the pictures for some reason.

• [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Josh[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][​IMG][/FONT]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. no_grain_no_gain

More Pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. no_grain_no_gain

4. no_grain_no_gain

5. no_grain_no_gain

The Last Ones

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Beauty! Our American friends will go nuts for that price! You did good! I'll let the clamshell folks chime in on your minor fixits. :Welcome:

7. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Josh,
    welcome aboard. Congrats
    That front end :yahoo:
    Always loved Oldsmobiles for that.

and what a price!!

I'm only 5 minutes away from leaving to the airport for a US visit, but couldn't resist giving you this link (to scans of the 72 Fisher Body manual about the GM powered clamshell) before leaving.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v601/73Riv/fisher tailgate section/

8. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

Welcome Josh. Beautiful wagon, excellent find. I have (and LOVE) the "Cars from the Sensational 70's" book. I'm waiting for someone to put out an 80's book, but something tells me I'll be waiting a while...I may have to do it myself if I want it done :). I know what you mean by receiving comments from an elder v. a young person. I have the same tastes...always have...and have received my fair share of ribbing from my friends and especially my brothers and my father. Such is life, I suppose. Welcome to the forum. You'll enjoy it here.

9. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome:It sounds like you found a great buy. I'll bet it'll be fun come summer.:cheers:

10. $arge

$arge New Member

Wagon Garage:
    na-hice!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forums. You got yourself an amazing deal! Congratulations!

12. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

Hey Josh,

AWESOME find man! Congrats on the new wagon in your life.....and yep, you got one heck of a deal on her....

Jonny

13. l6conv

l6conv Member

Josh nice wagon,glad it found a good home. I'd save that dealer name sticker on the rear,it's part of the cars history.And all those problems you speak of,that's the fun part ,now you get to work on an old car and learn from Her... Enjoy

14. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    that wasnt an 'intro'....that was a BIO!!:cheers:

i know more about you than some of my family....and i think i like you bettter:rofl2:

:Welcome:Josh to the toolbox...and congrats on the wag and the new career;)

15. no_grain_no_gain

Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome gang! Seems like you're a bunch after my own heart. Glad to hear most of you think it was a good deal price-wise. I was pretty sure of that too, but this makes me feel even better since I usually plan out purchases like this or try and haggle a bit more before buying.

75RivGS: Thanks so much for those scans! Already printed them off and have been reading through. The lubrication diagram is truly helpful.

TopherS: It's the best book ever put together, isn't it? And I've been thinking the same thing in regard to that '80s book. Any auto-literature about the '80s I've read so far is stuck on Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes or imports... where's the book on Parisiennes, Grand Marquis and Diplomats?

I'll keep you all posted with more updates when I can! The rear windor motor assembly is going to a friend for rebuilding on Monday, so we'll see if he encounters any trouble. And it took a little digging but I've found a new windshield for the car too, which is on its way... embedded antenna and all! :)