1972 Olds Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by Bill Howell, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Bill Howell

Bill Howell New Member

Attached Files:

2. Eyorspt

Eyorspt New Member

3. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

4. Bill Howell

Bill Howell New Member

Thanks, looks like it has the add on dealer style cruise control, common back then. I read through the other thread. $4500 was the price I had in mind so I guess I am a bit low but close. Other than the luggage rack, I can deal with the car and that is easy to add. While power everything was nice on it 43 years ago, not much worry about manual windows working now as opposed to finding and replacing electric motors. I would much rather find a clean, good, non rusty low option car than a highly optioned, rust bucket. There are plenty of those around you can buy cheap and swap parts if so inclined. :)

5. Badwagon

Badwagon more wood plz

isnt that a '73? or did the wagon get the updated body style before the Cutlass?

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The 'clamshell' GM wagons were introduced for model year 1971.
    Oldsmobile's big wagon was called the 'Custom Cruiser' Their mid-size wagon was called either the 'Vista Cruiser' or 'Cutlass Cruiser'. Some people do get confused between 'Custom' and 'Cutlass'........ The 'Cutlass Cruiser' name was also used on the later front drive Ciera wagons, as well.

7. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    One more thing: I'm not quite sure about the Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs but the 1971 (First year) Chevrolets at least had vents on the tailgate which were part of an air system and they disappeared by the second model year. Didn't those vents cause easy rust spots?

[​IMG]

8. customcruiserfan

customcruiserfan Well-Known Member

Yep, those vents let water in, but I think the main complaint was that they caused too much of a draft (someone feel free to fact-check me on that). As for power options, I'm told the GM power door lock and window motors are very reliable. Near bullet-proof.

9. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe Vetteman could chime in. Now that I thought of it his Pontiac has the vents too.

10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ALL the redesigned GM full-size vehicles had the vents for their 'flow-thru' ventilation system, in the first, 1971 model year. You'll see the tailgate vents on the wagon models, and trunk lid vents on the sedan/hatdtop/convettible models.....

[​IMG]

System redesigned for the '72 model year, tucking the vents into the door lock pillars. Must have been a pain to GM to do new stampings for the tailgate and all those trunk lids. Why didn't they just put the vents in the lock pillars to begin with?

Also - The GM large personal luxury cars had the vents, too - Riviera, Toronado, Eldorado....

11. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I fixed that for you below, I think that your "T" was going down when you was trying to hit the "R". lol. ;)

That is absolutely correct, even the Vega's had the vents in the trunk for '71. The Vega wagons had them on the rear sides, which actually lingered on beyond '71 for those models. I guess due to the design, they had to do it like that.

[​IMG]

In addition to the others replies, this Olds CC is a very low optioned car. I am not sure, but it looks like is lacks tilt wheel and definitely does not have luggage rack, 3rd seat or power gate. My '72 Chevy is even higher optioned than this Olds and I always thought of my car as a fairly low optioned car.

One good thing about "power" options on these old GM cars is that they are pretty reliable. I have owned several late 60s and early 70s GM cars over the years and never had an issue with power windows. My '73 Pontiac has power windows and so far, never any issues other than the right rear door window that recently decided it would roll down, but not up, so now I have an inch gap of open window. I think that the switches are corroded due to lack of use.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015