What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Dogbone

Dogbone Senior Member

Wagon Garage:
    Let's start a thread to keep each other updated on our restorations, upgrades, mechanical repairs, any and all of our victories large and small, as we work to keep our wagons on the road, looking and running well.

Pictures encouraged!

I'll start, last week I repaired several broken traces on my rear window defroster with one of those generic "paint on" kits. Seems to work fine according to my digital volt meter :yippee:, but I won't be able to give it the "real test" for a while of course.

(Ignore that angled line, it's only the typical dirt on the outside of the rear glass from my rear wiper.)

[​IMG]

Also I repaired the handle on my driver's side lumbar support knob (missing screw). Whew, that was tough. :p

[​IMG]

dennis likes this.
  2. cadipacer

cadipacer Well-Known Member

Odd that you asked: I just cut 3/4 of my hood away. ( had 2 spares).
    You say why? So at the NSRA Nats Aug 4-7, I can sport my 500 cid Cadillac in the PACER-WAGON and people can view engine while Im moving amongst the crowd at 2 mph. If I removed it completely the grille and headlight buckets and hood ornament comes off too,, so I left just enough to house frontal view,
    oh the things we do for fun.;) ( its painted same color too).
    I'll reinstall the original hood after the show.

lrbbiz likes this.
  3. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I totally washed, waxed and detailed my CP over Memorial Day weekend. Wouldn't hurt to do it again as my landlord still hasn't cleared out the garage so I can put it in there. I hate it's sitting outside since April, but I've been wiping it down and still doing the best I can without the garage yet.
    Last Fall, I got new brakes all around, complete tune up with new plugs, wires, etc, had the transmission fluid replaced, new tires, (narrow wsw's of course), oil change, coolant flush and a few other maintenance items it needed. Wow, what a difference it made, let me tell ya!!

4. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Norm blew out a window.

5. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    just pulled out the rear seat and cargo area to install more insulation ,installed and underdash a/c to keep up with the heatwave, removed an aftermarket radio made to look like an older readio that never worked right, cut off the front of an old ford (omg) radio with pushbuttons and knobs and installed it in the chevy ... yes you heard it here a ford in a chevy also had a new exhaust done

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, strangest thing too. We had the reflector shade on the windshield, opened both front door windows, started up the car and pow! The wife's lowered window (leaves 4" up), just exploded!

Didn't hear any gunshots or find any pellets, either.:confused:

Anyway, I just changed the shift control rod seals into the tranny. about 3 weeks ago, and redid my headliner from the old hoop-type to the later hardboard type.

Surprised at how poorly written (bad grammar mostly) the Factory shop manual is about Automatic transmissions in Fords. A first year engineer could do much better, even if it's all in grade 9 english. Anyway, I did it on the car. It's straighforward for C3, C4, C5 and C6 Ford automatics. Without doing it, it would have run through a quart of Type F every month.

Also rewired my trailer to use the 7-wire hook up (no electric brakes) to include the backup lights.

Solved my courtesy light bug (the rear driver's side door switch was DOA.)

Changed my dome/courtesy lamps to the newer 1996 models - colour-matched to headliner.

Tuned her up with new plugs and rotor and timing tweaked to give me 18 on the in-dash vacuum guage. I can do better, with some fiddling with the vacuum lines. I had it up to 23 before adopting the 1981 Capri 6 vacuum setup. Just waiting for cooler weather and less reno demands. But that quick tuneup improved MPG from 16 to 20 MPG (CDN GALLON = 5 US Quarts)

Oh yeah. Changed my longer roofrack bars. they were both bent. Found a nice set last fall in a local JY.

Might touch up the paint chips and touch up the undercoat before its too cold.

7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I rubbed Fannie's quarter panel and wished for a miracle. :p

Hellraiser94 likes this.
  8. oldmopar

oldmopar Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In the 77 Impala 4 new shocks and a air lift bags in the rear springs

9. Cyber-Wizard

Cyber-Wizard Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I haven't seen my wagon for more than an hour or so in almost two weeks. :cry: I tore out the seats, carpet, and interior trim to coat the floor pans and found a few little holes. The body shop did a good job but their floor coating started to peel so I took it back. Still waiting to hear that it's done.

I did manage to keep the passenger seat so I dismantled the power seat rails, and seat frame and sanded and repainted the whole shebang. I can't wait to refinish the drivers seat too!

Pics are here.
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134186&postcount=196

10. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I cheaped out and only put $50 gas in the Crewzer this AM:D

11. airboats

airboats New Member

Filled it up with mid grade pure gas no corn 3.85 gal
    also got 5 for mower and 1 for 2cy motors

12. HandyAndy

With Norm's help I got my engine in and running.
    Thanks Norm! :dance:

13. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Whew! You didn't blackmail with my sunday-go-to-meeting clothes! :rofl2:

14. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    I changed a blinker bulb yesterday.

15. HandyAndy

After helping Norm at the JY, I drove home and into a pipe sticking out of the ground close to my parking spot. I had only one bumper bolt holding the bumper in, and one side popped out. It bent both bumper supports, so I ended up scrounging the parts pile, and swapping those out this afternoon. What fun! :sarcasticclap: I'll have to go for a test drive and see how it performs with new parts....