390 FE Oil Breather Cap

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by ChiefDanGeorge, Oct 18, 2014.

1. ChiefDanGeorge

ChiefDanGeorge Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    What's the best way to clean one? It's not a valve cover cap, it's the crank case vent I think.

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

If you are referring to similar as the pic I have often cleaned them by soaking them in lacquer thinner then repeat with fresh clean l-thinner. I have done the same to clean oil bath air cleaners and doesn't harm the, I thinks it's called horse cloth that is inside. Then just give it ample time for the thinner to evaporate after cleaning before re-installing. But the oil breathers are fairly cheap, maybe just buy a new one?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  3. ChiefDanGeorge

Wagon Garage:
    Those look more like the ones for valve covers, which are different from the crank case ones. I'll take a run to NAPA and see if they have replacements. Mine has a skirt halfway around it which I guess acts as a bit of a splash shield.

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Sorry Chief, guess I didn't fully read the original question.....until now:oops:

5. ChiefDanGeorge

Wagon Garage:
    No worries. I just took the PCV valve off and cleaned it with some engine degreaser. The valve was floating free, but I want to be thorough.
    Pulled the cap off the crankcase breather and squirted it with some degreaser as well. Letting it dry out before putting it back on.
    One thing I noticed is the air breather assembly has a nipple on the bottom of it. I am wondering if that's for hooking in part of the PCV system.
    The way mine is hooked up is there is a plate under the carb that the PCV valve is attached to, and that leads to the back of the engine via some tubing. THen off course the oil breather cap.