interesting A/C...?

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by Fat Tedy, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Just posting for general interest, Burb makes no mention of A/C....lame description over all but what the??? Doesn't look at all original but looks like it was made for these Chev/Gm's........minus the over size screw heads.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1965-SUBURBAN_22973647

[​IMG]

Online this is the only pics I could find of a Burb/truck with A/C.......

[​IMG]

2. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

I think the first picture may actually be era correct AC, the second one looks more like an aftermarket setup.

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like the vents from an old home unit.

4. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

I found it.........the first picture is actual fctory air setup. Tucson craigslist has a listinf for a factory air pickup, same set up. Tucson CL # 4667543139

5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Early car AC and vents were crude. I remember a woman at work had a big Lincoln with clear plastic tubes on the rear package tray that looked like small ship vent tubes. The AC unit was in the trunk.
    Forgot what year but one of those square box Lincolns with canted headlights. (59???)

6. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Well I'll be damned, never have I seen this before and now to see it in 2 different truck, go figure. I honestly would have thought a/c in these would have been a dealer installed under dash set up similar to the other pic I posted.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4667543139.html

[​IMG]

7. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    The top pic is factory A/C in a '60 - '66 Chevy C-10 - C-30 truck cab.

The bottom pic is aftermarket (Vintage Air) add-on air.

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'd bet you would find a few vintage trucks with 'factory' A/C down in the Arizona / New Mexico area. Actually, 'Factory A/C' is probably a misnomer on these. If I had to guess, I'd bet for these, there were no A/C units installed at the factory. These were probably all dealer-installed kits supplied by the factory.

9. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

ModelT1, it was Cadillac that had the clear plastic ducts in the back window, but point taken. Packard always had their a/c properly integrated. Here in Canada there were 2 different factory units from G.M. American built cars had an a/c that was built in and properly integrated. Canadian built cars had a factory a/c unit that took up part of the passenger footwell, and that was through the Clam Shell years!

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Mike you could be right. But I remember her car being a Lincoln or other large boxy car. Big and boxy looking. I only saw it occasionally in the parking lot. Her husband was a salesman at the Pontiac dealership so she often drove other cars to work.
    Remember back when Buick only sold Buicks, Ford only sold Fords, Mercury only sold Mercurys. etc? So I don't know why she wasn't driving a Pontiac.

Whatever the woman drove was not a Cadillac and had clear plastic tubes around 8" diameter it seems like coming out of the rear package shelf aimed forward. I don't even remember the year. 58 to early 60's. ????
    It really was interesting AC.

11. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Those plastic tubes were indeed factory installed.

Aftermarket air conditioning installs are pretty easy to spot. Most back then had the large under-dash coolers, along with the single-cylinder compressor mounted on a bracket that was definitely non-factory. Factory units are integrated into the dash, or have a venting system under the dah (like '67 - '76 Mopar A-body cars (Dart, Duster, etc)). Plus, looking under the hood at the Freon line routing is a pretty good indicator, along with the hardware that is on the firewall. Factory units will have FoMoCo, the Chrysler emblem (varied on year), or "Harrison" on the GM compressor, readily marked. Aftermarket units do not.