1972 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Nov 21, 2014.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

No, these are totally contrived. The only engine available on any '71 to '76 Custom Cruiser was the 455, so there would have been no reason to highlight that fact as though the car were somehow specially optioned. There was never an option to have "455" badging put on any Custom Cruiser.

On wood-grain versions, the Custom Cruiser scripts were positioned on each side directly behind the front wheel openings ahead of the front doors. Note their location in the image below, which is from the 1972 Olds Full-line brochure.

In my opinion, putting them on the fender skirts makes the car look downright ridiculous. Fortunately, they're easy to move, assuming he just glued them on and didn't drill holes.

[​IMG]

3. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The window sticker shows air-conditioning, however, there is no A/C compressor under the hood. He doesn't mention anything about this in his auction listing. It should be on the left side in this photo, underneath the air cleaner snout.

[​IMG]

I must say, though, that the car itself looks to be in very good cosmetic condition, at least externally.

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Correct. The window sticker shows the car's VIN, which can barely be read, but it does begin 3R35. The 35 indicates the two-seat model. As far as the A/C, again, the window sticker tells all. It says "Four-season," which is what Olds called the standard (non-thermostatic) A/C system. It would say "Comfortron" on the sticker if it had the auto-climate control version.

[​IMG]

5. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If by "real" woodgrain you mean that it should be authentic (OEM style) vinyl applique, I agree totally.

I think just about every wagon manufacturer at the time offered brown as an interior color, especially with a white exterior. I know this was a very popular combination on Fords and Mercs, especially in a shade called "saddle". I think it was supposed to coordinate with the brownish woodgrain. Personally, I have nothing against it. It beats the choices of interior colors on most of today's cars: grey -- take it or leave it.

6. jwdtenn

Bidding just ended - only $3750 this time.

Guess now we know now what the owner wants. Good luck with that. It certainly is loaded up, but I think it would be more appealing to most potential buyers had it been left completely stock.

http://altoona.craigslist.org/cto/4782680066.html

oldsmobile custom cruiser 1972 - $9999 (altoona)
    < >
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

condition: excellent
    1972 oldsmobile odometer: 78000 VIN: 3r35t2m519645 paint color : white type : wagon drive : rwd fuel : gas transmission : automatic title status : clean cylinders : 8 cylinders

1972 oldsmobile custom cruiser.This car was purchased from the original owner making it a 2 owner survivor.The car is in nice condition and mechanically sound.It is a very solid honest car with alot of documentation.It has retained the original window sticker ,build sheet and bill of sale..When I purchased it I gave it a tune up, new duel flomaster exhaust,new brakes up front,and a state inspection.The car comes with the wheels and tires shown in the picture I also have the original rims and hubcaps.The underneath of the car is just as solid.No frame rot, never had any holes in the floor boards.I had alot of fun with the car this summer taking it to car shows and cruising.It turns heads everywhere you go and everyone has something to say about it.Its time for someone else to enjoy it.You can hop in and drive it anywhere.It runs and rides like a dream.Plenty of power,sounds awesome and shifts perfectly.All power window work.Power seats work.Clam shell works.power antenna works all electronics work as they should.The interior is in awesome condition it still had the plastic on the seats.I removed the plastic on the front seats to find them in almost as new condition..This olds is not perfect there are a few blemishes in the paint here and there.The windshield has a 4 inch crack in it.The carpet is worn on the drivers side.These cars are very hard to find I am setting the reserve at 60% of what I feel the car is worth so bid to win it will sell.It is a very solid unrestored survivor.Feel free to call with any questions

7. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The market is telling him something. I wonder if he'll listen.

8. jwdtenn

We'll see. I am very honest in saying that this factory loaded 1972 OCC would be much more appealing to me personally had it been left stock. :yup:

Modifications to me hurt value and desirability.

9. jwdtenn

10. jwdtenn

Reserve met now at $4800?

11. jwdtenn

12. jwdtenn

13. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    One could "customly cruise" in that one for sure. :)

14. parkertom

parkertom Active Member

I guess he needs to delete the Craigslist ad.

I know that the eBay sale stuck. The car has ended up close to me in VA. I happened to see it on the way into the office. It is a very solid good running vehicle. I gave it the once over this morning. Yes, there are a few mods. Zero rust, paint is pretty good except for a few spots at the wood grain trim. Interior is excellent...someone mentioned a Caddy seat?...except for a worn spot on the front drivers side. New owner put a piece of brown carpet over as a temp fix. Can you get carpet sets for these? Are they split front and rear?

The AC was removed at some point, bracket, compressor and hoses are gone. Dual exhaust looks new.

It was repainted at one time and based on earlier comments here it was noticed that the wood grain has been refreshed at some point.

New owner drove it down from PA and loved it. It will be coming back on the market and I am trying to decide if I want it.

Curious to see what you more experienced wagon folks think as far as price.

15. jwdtenn

Even with modifications, I'd say very well bought at $5250. This '72 Olds Custom Cruiser appears to have all GM factory options!!! :) Restore what it needs and enjoy. :thumbs2: