1975 Pontiac Catalina Safari

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Feb 2, 2013.

1. BlownNitroPontiac

BlownNitroPontiac New Member

It's a fabulous car.

Seller was very motivated; Seller, however, was NOT motivated to give the car away to some cheap, broke-dick hillbilly tire-kickers from South of the Mason-Dixon Line.

:banghead3:

So, once again, a Yankee with more than two nickels to rub together, stepped to the plate and sent cash, sight unseen.

:christmas:

And, OMG....the car actually drives under it's own power, too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. Bad Taten

Bad Taten Well-Known Member

3. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It does not matter who bought it or what they are intending to do with it, it is their car now.

The previous seller did not need to be so smug and rude, but at the end of the day he was right, any one of us here could have had this for $2,500 at the get go.

At least it is priced safe enough from the derby machine now though.

I have been watching these for two or so years and some of these had just turned or are only turning 40 now and they are beginning to escalade both in interest and now in price. I think everyone needs to get used to the fact that these are now entering their well earned classic and collectable age.

4. Bad Taten

Bad Taten Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to disrespect either party. People have their reasons for selling and for buying. I just thought it was interesting to see it back for sale so soon. It seems a good handful of wagons are seen again being "flipped" as I'm sure these people have the money and resources to move cars around the nation or world.

5. The Premier

Wagon Garage:
    Bad Tatan, sorry :oops: I was not having a go at you, I was just making an observation on why these cars are increasing in value. I think that some people are just beginning to wake up to the realisation that these are no longer $1,500 - $3,500 cars for pretty clean examples anymore. I think those days are just now beginning to slowly fade away. If you want that sort of value, then you may need to look at the 80's cars from now on. Sure there will still be clunkers for a $1,000 come up often but those clean ones we liked for around 4K two years ago are now starting to get pricey.

Is this car worth 10k? Don't know, but it could conceivably be worth 6-8 grand now, only simply because it has been cleaned up and shown to a much wider audience, and especially if you did not know about the short term history of this car like we do.

Same thing is happening here in Australia. I paid a premium for my HQ Premer of $8,000 in 2005 but it is now worth around $15 - $18 grand now, and it only turned 40 6 months ago.

You guys are just emerging from the GFC and our dollar has slipped by 15 cents over the past 12 months so things are beginning to slowly happen at your end, and the price on those mediocre classic cars will be swept along with it.

And you are right, this did not take long to come back around though!

6. oldschool780

oldschool780 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    well said!

7. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Nice wagon but definitely not a $10,000 wagon!

8. BlownNitroPontiac

"Cleaned up and presented to a wider audience?"

Dude, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Nothing was done to the car. The carpets weren't even vacuumed after the car left here. Witness the sand on the floor, rear passenger side.

The car was simply purchased by an older guy who has the money to speculate and no automotive repair skills whatsoever.

It's also being very misrepresented on eBay as "rust free", as anybody who saw my pictures knows there is rust at the bottoms of both fenders, both quarter panels behind the rear wheels and in the spare tire well.

I hope somebody doesn't get taken to the cleaners on this one, because the car is clearly NOT how it's represented on eBay.

9. The Premier

Wagon Garage:
    Hey mate, do you address everyone like this? Charming...

I was referring to the way the new owner car photographed and presented the car for sale compared to your effort. Your were asking $2,500 and he was asking $10,000 so fair enough, but even you would have to acknowledge the difference between the presentation of these pics though.
    your first pic from the rear
    [​IMG]

Your second pic from the same angle, gas pump and all
    [​IMG]

And his street scape shot
    [​IMG]

From page 4 of this thread
    No mention of the doors in your current assessment, so thank you for your honesty.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated :tiphat:

That is exactly what this forum is for, and that is to share this sort of information with like minded enthusiast who may even be potential buyers, and not going around pissing people off instead.

Cheers Mike

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  10. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

Funny how I was so wrong about the rust on this car. Hmmmm

11. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sold at $10k?

12. SwannyMotorsports

Says sold for $8,100 but now it's relisted at $9,500. His description is not very accurate. No mention of the woodgrain missing off right front fender, no mention of any rust. According to previous owner it has rust on fenders and 1/4's. It appears fuel gauge is inop unless they filled the tank completely up. Good $4,000 car. Now that it runs

13. BlownNitroPontiac

You were VERY wrong.

You tried to point out rust on the door pinchwelds where none existed.

14. BlownNitroPontiac

I filled the tank up two days before the current owner contacted me with an offer.

15. SwannyMotorsports

Your story. Tell it however you want