Ford 1/25th scale Ford promo models ???

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by fordaholic69, Jan 25, 2011.

1. fordaholic69

fordaholic69 Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm trying to build a collection of Ford models and I'm looking for old collections of the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury 1/25th scale promotional models that the car dealers gave away back in the 1960's and early 1970's. I collect wagons but also any FoMoCo 1/25th scale model cars. If you have an old promo or collection you just don't want anymore or have for sale or know of one for sale anywhere at a decent price,(I'm not rich) Please let me know. No high-dollar items. They can be beat up, broken, cracked, missing parts, dusty, dirty,etc. That's all Ok with me and actually I prefer it, I can rebuild and/or refinish them. I'm just an average guy that collects model car and loves Station Wagons, real ones and in scale too. :banana: thanks, Kenny. fordaholic69@yahoo.com

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

3. fordaholic69

fordaholic69 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Jim, I know about modelhaus. I've been planning on getting one but at a hundred dollars a pop, I'm gonna have to wait on that. Some people want an arm and a leg for an older model but I wait until I find a super deal before I shell out any cash for them. Heck, I've bought rel 1:1 cars for les money than some of these people want for a model of one,LOL!!! I had a good size collection when I was little. My dad was the parts manager at a Ford dealer and brought home about a half dozen of them every year when they were new from 1949 to about 1969 or so. Some of them were wagons. I still have about a dozen of them but I have no idea where the rest of them went to. I know I lost a bunch of them when I was about 5 or 6 . The rest probably either got broken or got traded for real car parts when I was 16. I remember trading some for a set of cragars. Hopefully I can find an old timer that has a collection and just doesn't have the room for them anymore or just wants to see that they go to a good home. I'm a collector, not a reseller. I'll give them a good home atleast for hopeully the next 20-30 years.
    Kenny.

4. Jim 68cuda

Many of the promos go for way more than $100 each. I think I paid $160 for a 68 Barracuda promo 15 years ago. I think they are double that now. I have on occasion gotten lucky, and found a few promos (64 Fairlane, 65 T-bird convertible 66 Riviera and 63 Falcon convertible) at $40 to $60 each, but even those were 7 or 8 years ago. I mostly had kits I built over a lifetime, and have never had many promos, but I do love those promos.Years ago, I pretty much totally transitioned to collecting 1/18 scale diecast cars instead. I haven't added to my collection of promos or kits since then (but I won't give up the ones I have.
    My 1/18 scale diecast collection dominates my house now, as you can see in the photos on my Facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3519&id=100001111775214&l=b49915c639

5. Cluricaun

Cluricaun Active Member

Man, I'd love to get my hands on something like that! :D

6. eshaver

eshaver New Member

There are several reasons of Resin being as high as what it is . First , I do "masters "for myself as well as a new company being formed in the midwest that will carry my diorama accessories .

First the molding rubber is you're most expensive . In some cases , a mold will do fourty pulls before it literally is destroyed . This depends upon the difficulty of the shapes being pulled out of a mold . The more durable rubber can run over 100.00 per lb. How much to duplicate a body in 1-24th scale , no interior ? Uh , it can run four to eight hundred depending upon all the details that are needed. The resin per quart can run 65.00 80.00 depending upon the detail needed . Some resins like that found in Aluminite kits will cure as fast as you can mix the two together . Detail is so - so. Forget trying to do a wagon body out of even their largest kit , there just isn't enough material to do so .

There are professional companies out there that actually sell to the trade . Synair comes to mind. They manufacture many types of epoxy resins and rubbers to do any thing from dentures to model kit bodies . Smooth -On is annother . They manufacture a few good rubbers and a nice resin that most experenced model builders can master easily.

Ed Shaver

7. Safariknut

Safariknut Well-Known Member

Ed:
    I wonder if a wagon could be done using a rapid prototyping machine and a computer program? Cost would probably be very high(mostly to get someone to write the program)but per unit cost would likely be reasonable after that.
    I only mention it because I have a friend whose son writes those programs for monster-type characters for a toy company and I have seen some of the stuff he has created.The detail is phenomenal!The items he had(he doesn't own the machinery;it's WAY too costly)were made of HDU(high density urethane foam)and only required a light prime coat to finish.They also weighed next to nothing.
    I may have to get hold of Reed and pick his brain a bit.Stay tuned.

8. eshaver

eshaver New Member

Uh, I dunno.......... bein as I'm a "LOW-Tech kinda person , ( TRANSLATE to mean I think it's still think it's 1968 ) . I've seen some of the guys at Model cars Magazine do some Big rig stuff using a Google 3-D program . heck , I still cant see how that works . Hey, ya might be onto something . Ed Shaver

9. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Kenny -I was mostly into the AMT 1/25th models in my yout.....I must have had a few promos, but I only remember 2....
    - A beige '61 Thunderbird. The swing-away wheel even worked in it. Long gone - don't know what happened to it. I'd love to see a picture of it if you have one.
    - A '64 1/2 Mustang they were giving out at release of the vehicle in April, 1964. I think I talked my dad into going down to check them out at the local dealer. I was 12 at the time. I think this one was white...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  10. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

The '70 Country Squire that is pictured, that is mine. It still is in the process of being built. I removed the sticky back wood grain and replaced it with water slide decals. The grain on the water slide is too light but it looks MUCH better (fit and finish). The paint is Model Master Custom Lacquer System, "Flame Red". It is two coats of primer, three coats of paint, and three coats of clear coat. Then it was wet sanded, then hand polished with Meguiars.

The kit is a Modelhaus kit Jim 68cuda pointed out. However, I bought the partial kit, listed at $60.00. I used a reissue of a AMT 1970 Ford Galaxie police car kit to use for the chassis, interior tub, dash, and a few other bits.

http://www.modelhaus.com/index.php?c=4106&p=69413

11. FordWagonNut1979

Here are some currant pictures. The wheel covers are for a '70 and '71 Thunderbird. However, I would like to find a set of '74-'79 AMT/Ertl Ford van wheel covers, since that was the style used for the '71 and '72 full size Ford wagons. I also made a proper roof rack for my Country Squire, added a gear shift on the column and a turn signal stalk. And yes, there is carpeting also in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff Active Member

I dont remember too many wagon promos being made after 1960,even though I plan on selling my 65 country squire I would like to have a promo to keep with all my models.

13. Jim 68cuda

Very nice job on the 70 Squire. There might also have been some Ford pick up truck kits with the wheel covers you're looking for, and as I recall there was some manufacturer that, back in 70 or 71, actually made a 70 Ford LTD 4 door hardtop. That would also have correct wheel covers, but they would be a different style from those used on pick ups and vans.
    Probably similar to these 1/25 scale wheel covers, but these are Chevy wheel covers by Time Machine Resin. The wheel centers are probably the main difference from the fin style whhel covers available on Fords of this vintage.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. FordWagonNut1979

Thank you Jim.

The wheel covers that came with the Modelhaus kit are the '70 LTD wheel covers. I do like them but I wanted something a little different if my car ever goes on display at a show. The turbine '70 style wheel covers I am using on the MH '72 Ford LTD that I will be building later.