oh deer

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by a1awind, Mar 6, 2012.

1. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    so i was on my way to work this morning. and had to take a detour because they are taking out a dam that i drive past on my way to work. the detour takes me through some wooded areas and i was using caution to look for deer. well at 30mph one materialized in front of me....right in front of me!!!
    i sent the deer end over end down the road. well i got out and the front end looked like this....

[​IMG]

well when i got home, i made a few phone calls and found a slightly dented police car hood for $50 inc hood ornament. ...ill have pictures tomorrow, but to say the least...thanks to my best friend scoob8000 (mike) who gave up his evening to come up and help me get her back together.

2. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ouch, that had to hurt. Actually, you,re really lucky that wasn't more seriously. Great to have good friends isn't it?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Friggin' deer! When I was a kid (a loooong time ago) you rarely saw a deer. Now I see them every day, year round. Deer season should be year-round. I have woods behind my house and see them every day. Glad no one got hurt (except for the deer!).

4. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I used to laugh at people when they claimed "it just appeared in front of me". That changed November 2005. It's great to have friends. Mine was a junk dealer 20 min out of town, support and header panel for the grand total of $60. I painted it in my apartment while in college.

I'm pretty sure if it were not the size and bulk of our cars, things would have been a lot worse!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I firmly believe that deer are the dumbest animals in God's creation....

Glad you're OK; that could have been a LOT worse.

I hit one about 3 years ago on a then-new G6 lease car. Her head hit the A pillar; we were pretty much eyeball-to-eyeball when we made contact. She slammed against the front and rear doors, sheared the rear view mirror off the car and managed to kick a crease into the rear quarter and the rear hubcap. Damage was over $4500.

I had to crawl over the console and exit on the passenger side because the driver's side doors (both front AND rear) were so badly smashed, the latches wouldn't release.

And with all of that damage, the deer laid on the ground twitching for a few seconds, then got to it's feet, walked off into the adjacent field where it stood with its head down for about a minute. Then she lifter her head and bounded off into the woods.

6. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I 100% agree. Ever see one run INTO a car? Now that's just crazy!

7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup - dumb.
    The one(s) I hit with the wife's Explorer hit the RT fender first. Was driving by at 55mph when they decided to play tag. One hoof poked a hole in the windshield, doors bashed in, etc......$4,000+.

I see a lot of deer hits doing my damage appraisals, so I know it's quite common around these parts. Thing is, I rarely see deer on the road myself - never even anything close to a near miss yet here in Oregon. They're waiting until I forget about them....they're sneaky that way.

8. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    You got off lucky bro, atleast you didn't loose her like I lost Moby. I HATE DEER, the only good deer is in my freezer and on my plate! So all you hunters, fill your deer tags and shoot 3 more for good measure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    deer are magnificent creatures.....especially in the crock pot...with some noodles and veggies

i got really lucky (blessed i would say) the rad was bend back but not enough to break or hit the fan. the upper support bent back with a quick tug on the come-along...
    my mom has hit 2 deer with her honda....both times...$4000 damage...car had to be towed

im just glad we dont have moose and elk (supposedly we have some elk...ive never seen one here) people get killed hitting those.

10. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    My brother lives in St Marys, PA and he has Elk wandering though his yard atleast twice a month. I guess that's why its called Elk County, hahaha. When I go visit him for a weekend, we always go spotting for them, we dont always get to see any Elk, but almost always see quite a few coyote and a couple black bears and way too many stupid deer. We have alot of fun in the winter, taking is 07 Dodge pickup in places we shouldn't, unplowed mountain roads, strip mine and logging roads, stupid places like that. But we always have a backup plan, in the winter his snowmobile is always in the bed and summer, we have his 400EX wheeler in the bed.

We have been charged by a few bulls when spotting during rut season. Pretty scary to see a snorting 1000+ pound critter, comr freight training at you, snorting and tossing around 5 foot high antlers. Its a rush and each time, they are always coming at my side of the truck, I about leap into my brothers lap, hahahaha.

11. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's exactly what happened to me.

She hit the driver's side of the car, just behind the front wheel. Her head smacked up against the window and we were eyeball-to-eyeball when she hit the glass...

12. Cultural Infidel

Cultural Infidel New Member

1 ran into my Sonata a couple years ago while my wife and I were on our way home from Thanksgiving. We lived on the other side of the state from our family at the time. It was about 9pm by the time we got home. The deer ran in to us about a mile from our exit. He broke a light and a for light cover. Left some fur stuck to the trim along with some blood. We stopped and got out to look for the bastard but he was gone.

My wife also had one run into her car when she was driving the "canyon" a few years back. Scratched up the side of the car. But nothing bad.

Dumb Creatures. :slap:

13. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    all fixed....

[​IMG]

14. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Even in central Illinois we saw a lot of deer on the highways. I started work at 4AM so went in around 3:30AM. Saw deer trottin across the highways often. What the H are deer doing out galivanting around at 3AM? Don't they have a curfew?
    Never hit one with a car or my bike but came close. Did have a small deer actually run into the rear right tandom of a semi trailer I was pulling down I74 in Illinois.Now he/she had to be stupid or blind to hit the rear of a 48' trailer and the cab.
    Here in NW Florida there must be a million of em just in our county. We live 1/4 mile from a game preserve and there are many other State, County, Federal places all around us. Dead deer and wounded vehicles everywhere.
    Son hit one that ran right into the left front of his El Camino. I remember he always said he'd never swerve or ever hit a deer. He could stop. Yea right. To make matters worse another one literaly walked into the same left front fender as he drove very slowly up our dirt lane late one evening only weeks later. It did very little extra damage. Found out later it had been shot and was laying close to where he hit it with the Camino.
    Always fear coming home fro a cruise nite with the wagon and one jumping out on the two narrow short gravel lanes. Why did we move to the boonies?
    On the other hand, my wife loves watchin the six that play in our yard almost every morning and evening. Keeps her from bugging me when I'm doing important internet things. :rofl:

Yippy Ian!

15. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

A young woman that I used to work with, had a deer run into the side of her Ranger. She was on her way home after work one night ,about 9:30, she didn't see it. It ran right into the box on the drivers side. Maybe they can't see in the dark?