3rd Seat Well Carpet?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by LargeBarge72, Feb 2, 2009.

1. LargeBarge72

LargeBarge72 New Member

I am ready to install/order some carpet for the wagon. I have done a lot of searching and found many companies that make carpet for my wagon.

However, none of them list any kind of carpet for the 3rd seat well area.

Anyone come across someone who makes the custom fit carpet for back there? Seems odd that the companies that make the custom carpet for the rest of the car dont include the rear carpet area.

I see that you can buy extra yardage when ordering... is this what I am going to stuck doing?? Its pretty tough to mold carpet that isnt premoulded...and its a pretty complicated shape in that area. I do have my original that I can use as a template..but was hoping for a drop in replacement.

Anyone?

Interesting side note: While pulling my carpet today.. I found a tag attached to the carpet bottom that read J.P Stephens & Co, Inc.
    Labelled 1972 Chrysler 3rd Seat Well 9 Pass -TAN - 4/17/72 (kind of cool)

2. LargeBarge72

LargeBarge72 New Member

Bump... nobody huh? Everyones carpet is perfect back there? lol

3. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not all, I had the same problem with my Caprice and I never found a set for that either. I am sure why. Is it maybe possible to use carpet by length and try to form it with a hairdryer? I mean, the sets for the front are formed, but that is just done by heat as well.

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    You know....that tag you found really IS cool. And...it may help you find a replacement. Have you tried all the resto places? If so and no luck, you may try to talk them into making you one and then making others as well. Seems like maybe SOMEone should be doing these...??? Wonder what would happen if you wrote Chrysler with that tag info?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  5. Furyman

Furyman New Member

TnC Carpet

The best C Body carpet manufacturer is Auto Custom Carpets out of Georgia.Buy an extra couple yards of carpet when you order so that the colour matches....different runs can be a slightly different shade.You will have to cut and stitch the rear cargo well....doing the same thing for my 65 Polara.And Carpet tags are pretty cool...I have a collection of about 50 or so Mopar ones from 65 to the mid 80's....some people collect anything eh!

6. moparjohn

moparjohn Active Member

carpet

72B, the carpet in mine is worn on the bottom, good on the sides so I am going to do a floor cut out piece to place over my bad. I too thought this would be hard to find. My green interior car has a black cargo well carpet. MPJ

7. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep, no love for the wheel well carpet, but you can get the 'extra' and use hotglue to 'sew' up the rim to the floor. On mine, they use a thinner knap for the back without the plasticised coating, because it moves when you raise the back seat. If you're using the usual underlay (good idea for the 3rd seat well) then just undercut for the thickness by about 3/8" (on height of well rim). You can get the webbed hotglue tape at a carpet store. Not worth sewing, but a few stitches with a curved 'sail needle' where there's a lot of stress (after the hotglue) will help keep it from gapping/splitting.)

Some places will make them up for you (see our Site Links), for a $PRICE$.