open Tailgate when Motor is down ?????!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by bella65, Sep 9, 2014.

1. bella65

bella65 Member

Hello

Cant open tailgate of my 65 Vista Cruiser, cause window is up and motor
    didnt work.. is there any trick to open it ??
    Thanks
    Sven

2. uncledave

uncledave Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    You will have to climb inside and get that inner panel off the tailgate. Disconnect the motor from the mechanism and slide the glass down. If the motor is conected to the mechanism by a cable sometimes you can use a battery drill to lower the window, but I dont think thats the case on your '65. Make sure that you check both switches, key & dash, my old '67 Sportwagon had a bad dash switch, but the key switch worked. Sorry no easy tricks. unc

3. bella65

bella65 Member

switch

Thanks a lot, that will help..
    i dont want to destroy something !!

4. uncledave

uncledave Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just a thought... check fuses first, if good check power to the motor, sometimes the old wires crack and break from the gate opening and closing all those years. I cant even bend a wire on my '57 without the insulation cracking. My next project is rewiring. unc

5. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There is a relay under the dash above the heater box that provides power to the rear window. Check this relay before tearing things up. You may be able to hot wire the tailgate motor from there to get the window down.

If the problem isn't power, you will need to disassemble the tailgate. There are no cables, but be aware that the window regulator has a fairly stiff offloader clockspring, so be very careful when disassembling the regulator. You might be able to get the window down enough to clear the weatherstip, then push down on the lock-out rod to get the tailgate open.

If you don't have a 1965 Fisher Body Manual, get one now. The mechanism is diagrammed, and you'll also find the wiring diagram.