1953 Chevy Townsman Newbie!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by johnny townsman, May 17, 2011.

1. johnny townsman

johnny townsman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello to all, I'm a new proud owner of a 1953 Chevy Townsman Wagon ready for complete restoration. I wrote the following thread just a few short days ago. This is a great site and I'm looking forward to sharing my restore with all of you. So...stay tuned!!!

I'm in rural Mississippi as I write this working on project, when I started looking into the woods for a restoration project. Up in rural Tennessee, I found a 1953 Chevrolet 210 Townsman Wagon with Powerglide and Power Steering.

This wagon is basically the same as the Handyman, but was on the 'luxury' side. It came with three seats and seated eight passengers. This one I have is missing the back seat and tailgate. (do you have one I can buy????) :yippee:
    I has had three owners, but the last owner (a man in his eighties) has owned it since 1966. I have the original DMV application from 1966. Was sold originally in Memphis. The car is basically complete and relatively straight. Its going to be a long project, but hope to turn it into a show car. My budget is about $10,000-$12,000.

The original color is Surf Green with the Townsman signature 'wood grain' accent (not real wood) both outside and inside. Hence its nickname "Tin Woody".

They made only about 8,000 Townsman wagons, but tons of sedans and Handyman wagons.

I put it on a trailer next week to haul it back to California.

BTW, I may have saved this car from the current floods in and around Memphis!!

I'm going to try to upload a pic here in a sec....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WHAT I HOPE IT WILL LOOK LIKE AFTER RESTORATION:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Have I welcomed you already :confused:

:Welcome: anyway.

3. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    im feeling a lil Dejavu myself

im feeling a lil Dejavu myself

:evilsmile:

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    1953 Woody Wagon

That's a decent lookin project car. Glad you got it out of possible danger and are going to restore it. Sad that the tailgate is missing. But keep looking and one will show up someplace. :Welcome: