Oldsmobile diesel engines

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Senri, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was scanning the ads and I came across a 1978 Oldmobile CustomCruiser with the 350 diesel engine. I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this engine, concerning performance, driveability, durability economy etc.
    To make things affordable, here in Holland we have to do the LPG conversion, cost $2000, with the disadvantage of having this huge tank to conseal (it often means loosing the 3rd bench). An original classic diesel wagon could be a nice alternative. I never really considered this.

2. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
  3. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    An Oldsmobile 350 Diesel engine.... a rare survivor... couldn"t imagine there was one left in trhe world that still runs. Always leaking head gaskets. Had a Delta 88 once with that engine...was lucky I could sell it a month orso later

4. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hmmm, so this sounds like a really no-go! It was an interesting thought...

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    i know they smell funny:biglaugh:

6. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

They had a habit of breaking the crankshaft in half and still run. It was a gas engine conversion that couldn't take the stress. Very low on power too.

7. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

I have been a big fan of the diesels forever (I tried to buy, at age 17, a 1981 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon with the diesel, but my dad wouldn't let me and since I was under 18, I couldn't buy it on my own).

They are not a conversion of the 350, contrary to popular belief, but they had to be designed to fit in the same engine bay.

There is a whole website from a guy in Florida that has devoted himself to the GM diesels (primarily the 5.7L V-8, but also has info on the 4.3L V-8 and the 4.3L V-6, as well). Chris (the webmaster) explains everything you ever wanted to know about the engine, including the difference between the diesel and the gas engines, how to make them run forever, the real reasons why they had problems (a lot of owners' lack of understanding of how to drive/maintain them), etc.

Here's the link...

http://members.tripod.com/~A350Diesel/newmain.html

He also has a message board of people who own/rebuild these engines. Here's that link...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/350Diesel/start

Hope this info helps.

8. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for info! I had read a bit myself already and found as well that it is not a petrol conversion. The mean flaw is the head design that for practical reasons has the same bolt pattern as the petrol version and because of that is actually a weak point on the head gasket. But I also found that the majority of problems were more garage related then design related. Because of the lack of experience at the dealers with diesel engines, they were not solving simple problems quick enough and subsequently people start to dislike the engines. There are many stories where for instance the head bolts, that were designed as stretch bolts, were reused by the dealer after a head gasket repair and so the head gasket would blow again and again!
    The general opinion for diesel engines would never change and so they were not used again. One guy I talked to get's about 40mpg highway and 20mpg city!!!!!
    For me this is stil an option. I had the 6.2L diesle in a 3200kg Chevy Van G30 (the same engine as in the early Hummer) and the torque is unbelievable. I would really like to have the newer 6.5L Duramax engine with turbo!

9. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

No problem. I still would like to get a GM wagon with the diesel. And I've heard about Midwest U.S. farmers who favored diesels (and knew how to maintain and drive them) who would get 150,000-200,000 miles on their GM 350 diesels.

Those engines were available until 1985, and a lot of the later engines were lasting longer as people became more educated about them (and some refinements in their design)...but the damage was done in the public opinion. Too many people just refused to buy them, so GM stopped producing them. Even in the NADA (similar to Kelly Blue Book) the diesel engine in a vehicle would cause a "deduct 20%" in the vehicle's value.

Even today, diesel engines in cars are not looked upon favorably in the U.S., even though I hear they are highly favored in Europe. Even the cars sold here that do offer the diesel will not put "diesel" in their badging...just to avoid possible rejection by the public (Volkwagens, for instance, used to have "diesel" in their badging, back in the day; but now, they have the "TDI" badge as the only indication that they have the diesel engine).

In numerous articles I've read in recent years, there is much doubt that diesel cars will ever catch on again in the U.S., all due to the GM diesel. :cry:

The only vehicles in the U.S. which command higher prices and have higher public opinion for the diesel models vs. gas models are the heavy-duty trucks.

10. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I heard that before yes. It is even so that the newest TDI from Volkswagen is quicker then the GTI sportscar. Old diesels had high torque but low HP, because of the character of the engine; only low rpm. Shifting 4 times before reaching 30 mph :). Nowadays you can almost drive them the same as a petrol engine!

11. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I hear the diesels are poor in every aspect. BUT!!! The blocks make excellent donors for high HP engines. It sems GM madde the block extra strong. And the blocks are just like the gas 350's except for being extra strong. I am on an Oldsmobile board and some have suggested putting an Olds 425 crank(forged) in them. I plan to start looking for a DX block in the junkyards soon.

12. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That would be an interesting project. Keep us up to date!

13. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    They can definitely be strong engines. A 1981 Caprice wagon with a diesel just sold on eBay for $1500, in very nice shape, needing cosmetics only (fiberglass bits, plastic interior bits, etc). I wish I had the cash and the time to go from TX to GA to get it, I would have bought that instead of my Buick.

14. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    There was also an 83 I beleive it is Caprice Estate on eBay right now with the 350 Diesel in it, for dirt cheap.

15. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    hmmm...

So...The reviews of the GM diesel powerplant for cars are running about 50-50,for and against.:confused:..How about putting a diesel powerplant from one of their pick-up trucks in the wagon?:idea:..The engine bay of an 83 Caprice is about the same sixe as an engine bay in a full size pick-up truck!:yup:..Wouldn't something just fit right in there,relatively speaking?:huh:..I've been thinking of doing something like that to a mid-70's Ford/Mercury wagon with a much newer F-150 drivetrain.;)..A little turbo-bio-diesel fun in the family wagon.Leave the rest behind.Travel north cross land.:yahoo: