1960 Frontenac 2 Door Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by gcs005, Aug 31, 2014.

1. gcs005

gcs005 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just picked up this project Frontenac. The Cougar will be going on the road in the next couple of weeks and the Frontenac will be moving into the shop.

I came across it by accident, had gone to look at a 1950 Chrysler limo and saw the Frontenac. Ended up getting the limo with two parts cars and the wagon.
    I see there is already a thread on here of this car. It's originally from Saskatchewan so the body is in fairly good condition.
    The owner also has a 1959 Edsel wagon for sale...really nice project car for someone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice score!
    What are your plans for this one?

3. chefdough

chefdough junior member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like a very nice and solid body.
    Congrats!

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Nice. But what's that up by the barn? BARN FIND !
    I like that place. Lots of old cars.

5. gcs005

gcs005 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks! I plan to keep it as close to original as possible. The previous owner had collected just about every part needed.

Yes, it is quite solid. It also came with quarter panel repair sections and a complete used floor pan. Floor isn't that bad so I may just make the sections needed.

Haha, yes an actual barn find. That's a 1949 Chevy panel truck, quite rusty but it still has all of its deluxe trim.

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I should have noticed but I can't zoom too much.
    I have a deluxe 1948 Chevy panel with the side fender trim removed. Didn't know for several years it was supposed to have those side strips like the deluxe cars. Found the bondo coming thru the holes and later a friend told me he'd just sold all of the trim I needed at a swap meet. I was able to buy his side window and windshield trim which I didn't really need.
    I've seen very few Chevy panel trucks with that side trim on the fenders.

I was able to zoom 300%. Saw the door window stainless but one fender has weeds and the other is out of the photo.

7. gcs005

gcs005 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here are a couple of photos of the Chevy panel. I found it last year, had seen photos of deluxe panels but this is the first one I've seen in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. Looks very fixable and mostly solid. I like these earlier panels because there were no door wing vents. Sure love to have the fender stainless.
    Another thing I never found out about is the use of 40's Chevy car tiny tear drop tail lights on either side between the belt line and rear fender. This one does not have them. Mine are closer to the side belt line. others are more like centered between the belt and fender.
    Yet like this panel some may have only the large single light with tag holder and tag light. A few have had another large rear light centered on the right rear door. Mine has openings inside both barn doors and at the rear sides with covers to get to the wiring so I know some had the lights.
    All little differences that I've never found answers for. Making it more confusing I was told the deluxe models had those little tear drop lights like the early Chevy and Pontiac cars do. Mine does yet this one does not.

Way back when I messed with Model T Fords the only time I heard the word Frontenac was for special two speed rear ends or something.

See the rear tail lights on this Chevy panel truck with added non stock blue dots. Notice the wing vents.

Attached Files:

9. gcs005

gcs005 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    That is one good looking panel truck! Like those small lights, I have a '53 suburban and it doesn't have those lights either. Just has the one on the left door and some aftermarket lights.

[​IMG]

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I wish I had an early suburban like that. Sadly I stopped working on my 48 panel. It didn't have the pan in front of the rear bumper so I made a custom roll pan and a hidden hitch.
    My left rear door had a deep dent because someone added large universal trailer type lights to the two small tear drop tail lights. this let the doors hit the lights.
    It's odd that those small lights are on some and not others and being deluxe or not does not seem to be the reason. Like I wrote some are down closer to the fenders. I like the little tail lights.
    Ford used the 1941 car tail lights on panels up till around 1956 and GM used the 41-46 Pontiac and Chevy tail lights until around 1955. I'm guessing on 41-46.

11. gcs005

gcs005 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cleaned out the interior and removed floor patches. Car came with a complete rust free floor pan.
    Got it running for the first time in years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

You say you got the engine running; do you have pics of the bay? What condition is the engine in?

13. gcs005

gcs005 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    This is a photo taken the day I picked it up. Pulled the plugs and put penetrating oil in the cylinders. Left it sit for a few days and then rolled it over by hand. Put a rad and battery in, some gas down the carb and it fired. Added an auxiliary gas tank and got it running...lots of smoke burning off the penetrating oil but after that it seemed to be fine.
    Not sure if I will use it since it's not original to the car, it's a 1963 vintage engine. There was an original 144 included with the wagon but I'm not sure what condition it's in.

[​IMG]

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If you keep the inline, how about a 250 CID? Not exactly a 302 V8, but you get seven main bearings, and there are things you can do to up the engine's performance.