Revell 1/87 HO scale 61 Plymouth and Valiant wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by Jim 68cuda, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Back in 61, Revell got together with Chrysler and made an unusual group of promotional models. There was a 61 Chrysler convertible, 61 Dodge Polara 2 door hardtop, 61 Dodge Dart 2 door hardtop, 61 Imperial 2 door hardtop, 61 Dodge Lancer 4 door sedan, and of more interest here, there was a 61 Valiant wagon, and a 61 Plymouth Savoy 2 door wagon. The unusual thing was that these "promos" were HO scale (1/87 scale), and were only about 2 inches long. Yet like the larger 1/25 scale promos, they had "1961" on the license plate, and the molded in nameplates could actually be read if your eyes were good enough. They came as a kit of all 7 cars in assorted colors, or pressembled in individual boxes aor as a set of seven. The packaging on the preassembled models described the virtues of Chrysler's unit body construction and other features. These cars were made with the HO scale railroading hobby in mind, but original plans were to make annual releases of each new model year. Sales weren't as high as expected, and no new additional releases were ever made. Still, for a few years in the 60's, these little cars were available at hobby shops. Later, the molds went to Mexico. Currently on e-bay, is a 61 Valiant wagon from the later Mexican production run, and a 61 Savoy wagon , also from the later Mexican production run. The Mexican versions aren't quite as crisp and clean as the earlier releases (especially true with the Savoy wagon),
    so if you want these, I would suggest waiting for the originals to show up on e-bay. The originals show up much more frequently than the Mexican reissues and the quality is better and the colors were original 1961 factory colors. Great little cars if, like me, you have an HO scale trainboard as another hobby.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Revell-Plymouth...ItemQQptZDiecast_Vehicles?hash=item1c0dd317a0
    [​IMG][​IMG]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Revell-Plymouth...ItemQQptZDiecast_Vehicles?hash=item19b7ace046

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. That Hartford Guy

That Hartford Guy Mopar no more.

I've got one of the 61 Plymouth Savoy 2-door wagons molded in battleship gray. Want it for your set?

3. Jim 68cuda

Thanks. I appreciate the offer, but I already have each of the seven 61 Mopars in each of the seven original colors. Traffic in the town on my HO scale train layout is already bad enough.

4. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Jim, any pictures of your HO set? It sounds like it's pretty extensive. On my way back from Carlisle last month, I did a quick tour of Roadside America. It was just like I remembered it from 45 years ago! For those of you who don't know what it is, Roadside America is a huge model town of various ages in America. It's about 1/25th scale and takes up a huge auditorium. It's really very cool.

5. Jim 68cuda

If you mean the set of HO scale Revell Mopars, no I don't have a photo. If you're refering to the HO train layout, I do have a few photos downloaded, though this is getting off topic, so I hope no one minds. Here are a few photos of the town on the HO scale train layout. Some of the 1/87 scale vehicles are diecast and some are plastic. The 48 Ford woody wagons are a diecast by Classic Metal Works. In the spring, they will be releasing a 1/87 scale 53 Country Squire as well. A few of the Revell Mopars show up in these photos as well. This town is at one end of the layout. Some of these photos were taken to determine which of three buildings would look best on a particular street corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  6. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry Jim, but we have strict rules regarding this. :nohijacking:

NOT!!!

Awesome setup you've got. :D I've only been able to dream of one like that.
    I still have all my train stuff I collected as a kid in boxes. I've never had the space for a landscaped permanent installation. Maybe someday.

7. snooterbuckets

Wow, Jim, that is so cool. I can't believe the amazing detail you've put in to everything. I particularly liked those two kids pushing their out of gas car, (I couldn't see it well enough to figure out the year and make), into the station to hopefully fill 'er up. You must be so proud of it. How long have you been working on it? It's just amazing; it really is. Hey, I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say if you have anymore pictures, post away. I'd love to see as many as you've got.
    It certainly is a very active and busy town you've made there. Phenomenal job.

8. snooterbuckets

By the way, I couldn't decided which set up looked best for that corner. What did you finally decide?

9. Jim 68cuda

Currently, and for a while now, the building on that corner is the gas station with the canopy over the pumps. Those two guys are still pushing the 57 Plymouth up to the pump. That 57 Plymouth by the way is plastic and is made by Woodland Scenics. It comes with the two guys permanantly pushing the car. They are glued onto the car.
    I haven't run the train in a couple years. The layout is in the attic and the temperature changes in there have caused the track to buckel in a few places. Someday, when time permits, I need to rip up some of the track and relay it. The scenery on the far end of the layout has never been fully finished. At that end of the layout, there is a small coastal village with a lighthouse along a rocky shore. At this point its just laid out with the buildings and roads and a fishing pier in place. In between the large town and the coastal village, there is a mountain with a campground, and a small farm. Someday it will all be done, and the trains will run without de-railing.
    Thanks for the kind words.

10. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Poor bastards. What a way to spend the rest of eternity... :evilsmile:

11. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Jim, your hobby is so cool! I looked at these pics, and for a sec. I thought they were of real street scenes. :2_thumbs_up_-_anima
    Cool!
    David