Trans Am Wagon

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by yellerspirit, Jul 10, 2010.

1. yellerspirit

yellerspirit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Ever thought of a Firebird Station Wagon?

[​IMG]
    1978 Firebird Trans Am Kammback
    [​IMG] This interesting car was a concept car built by PMD (Pontiac Motor Division). It was labeled as the "K" car for Kammback. The car never saw production but two models were specially constructed in Italy for GM's Design vice president David Holls.

[​IMG] The concept was to put out a Firebird station wagon that would provide a performance car to the public. A silver wagon and gold wagon were built (total of two) and were 100% factory original as they appear in these pictures. The gold wagon has been destroyed reportedly due to internal company issues.

[​IMG] From stationwagon.com: "The 10/1/98 issue of Old Cars magazine has a short article (pages 23-24) on an experimental 1978 Pontiac Firebird 'shooting brake' station wagon. Constructed for GM by Pininfarina, they were dropped from production plans because of their projected $24-25,000 price tags (in 1978 dollars). There were evidently two running versions constructed - one Firebird, and one Trans Am. It's doesn't look like they had a tailgate, but had two 'gullwing' doors that gave access to the rear cargo area. The Firebird was crushed by GM, but the Trans Am survived to be upgraded to 1979 specs and taken on the show circuit again.

[​IMG] The Type K Back in 1970-71, Chevrolet entertained serious thoughts of bringing out a production Camaro station wagon. Preliminary development went along jointly between Chevrolet and Pontiac, but the project faltered when the two divisions couldn't agree to use interchangeable doors on the Firebird and Camaro. The original Firebird Type K was done in 1977 under the direction of GM executive designer David R. Holls. Studio stylist Jerry Brockstein did much of the detail work. The first type K (for Kammback) was conceived on the base Firebird, not the Trans Am. Early prototypes were built of fiberglass. Since production in this country seemed out of the question, GM Design vice president William L. Mitchell met with Italian coachbuilder Sergio Pininfarina and arranged to have two metal-bodied Type K's constructed for show purposes. In late 1977, Pininfarina delivered the twin wagons -- a silver one with a red interior and a gold one with a natural beige interior. These were 1978 cars, later converted to look like 1979-80 models. At one point, Pontiac and Pininfarina checked into the possibility of building Type K's in Italy or in a special U.S. plant. These limited-production customs were intended for the American market at a list price of $16,000. Convertibles were also contemplated at that time. However, inflation and other costs soon raised vehicle price to $25,000, so the plan ended up on the shelf. The Deco International Corp. of North Hollywood, Calif., began building Type K replicas in May 1980. Conversions cost about $15,000 and consist of fiberglass over a steel framework. Side windows raise electrically on gas cylinders.

The information you just read, was gathered from
    <A href="http://www.indiemonkey.com/" target=_blank>www.indiemonkey.com.
    Therefore I am not claiming this as my own,
    only making another place people can access
    this information.

2. 1972behemoth

1972behemoth New Member

WOW! should I make my gold 79 Trans am into a wagon? :rofl2:

3. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

It would be cool with t-tops and side wings out !

Real astro flow through ventilation.

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I would guess this silver one was the first, but not the last...

I like this one, looks Pontaic..

tawagon.jpg

This one just does'nt do it for me....
    trans_am3.jpg

trans_am2.jpg

trans_am1.jpg

5. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    yellerspirit, while I don't really like the overall look of that, the gullwing windows are pretty damn cool.

6. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    I had a 1:24 model of that and a 78-81 Z28 when I was a kid as well as a Vette. I think they were all built by Monogram. The Bird and Z28 were snap together and the Vette was a glue kit.

Check out this one, LMAO
    [​IMG]

7. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh Yeah! Get on that, behe! :smash: Smokey and the Behemoth Wagon!

I love it...I really do!

David :)

8. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I have an article about this trans am wagon. Once I find it, ill scan it.

9. yellerspirit

yellerspirit Well-Known Member

I think it was on the cover of ether Car & Driver or Motor Trend

10. marcar1993

marcar1993 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I knew of these. In many books and publications over the years. Interesting and different to say the least.

11. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

12. canyontide

canyontide New Member

Wagon Garage:
    A Trans Am wagon??? WOW!!! :dancingparty:I LOVE IT!! I'd love to find an early 70's Trans Am someday, it's one of my favorite cars!