New Girl

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by ptbabin, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ptbabin

ptbabin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I am new here. I'm Tara and my hubby and I own a racing team here in lovely Louisiana. Just wanted to say hey from New Orleans. I have a 1965 Olds Vista Cruiser and I am hoping to find advice and parts on here. :icon_drive: I also have a '65 442, and a '73 Omega, not wagons, I know, but still love my Oldsmobiles! We are planning a Route 66 road trip this June with our wagon, so if anyone has any tips for the trip (or parts for the wagon!) I would sure love to know.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum. I believe you are the first lady I've greeted on this board.
    I'm sure there's more but the guys seem to rule...
    Most women aren't about advertising their grocery gettin' automotive appliances.

3. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: PT....nice oldsmabuble:yup:
    so..what does the 'team' consist of??

4. ptbabin

ptbabin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well the "team" is basically us racing our Olds, mostly the 442. I have yet to bring the wagon to the track yet because it still has the 330 in it, however, I did purchase a 70 Delta 88 with a 455 and I plan to put that in the wagon, along with other modifications of course. I don't expect it nearly to run like the monster 442, but I'm hoping to shock those who think that a grocery getter can't skull drag em! Other than that, my hubby has an 07 Shelby GT500, which he enjoys taking down the track and I used to race a little Lexus IS350, pretty quick stock, we won the Mardi Gras drags with it a few years back.

Our plan this summer is to have an old fashioned road trip vacation in our wagon, with the kids along route 66, we shall see how that pans out. It needs some work and parts before I'm ready to drive it over 3000 miles! :) I am certainly glad to be the first girl to have you welcome me. Most guys think I know nothing about cars, after all, i'm a GIRL, and kinda young, I guess, but I love them!(y)

Oh, and it's funny you say Oldsmobuble....I call them that all the time!

5. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the funny farm!

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

It's not my intention to steer you away from this site because it's very good. But with all those Oldsmobiles, if you haven't already, you might consider signing up at classicoldsmobile.com

It's a very active board, and you might have better luck locating Olds-specific parts for your various cars as well as any advice you might be looking for.

As far as driving along Route 66, it can be done here and there, mostly as business routes off the nearby interstate highway that replaced 66. There's more segments of the old highway west of Seligman, Arizona, and while the scenery is pretty, there isn't much left, as least on the segments I've been on, of the old 66 as most think of it, with eccentric restaurants, motels, and gift shops.

Many of the towns the route passed through celebrate it, so you can find museums and things like that along the way in towns like Kingman, Flagstaff, Williams, Winslow, and Holbrook, Arizona. But you'll be on I-40 between most of these towns.

As far as the kids, to be honest, I think they will find the whole thing a bore unless there's the guarantee of an amusement park or a hotel with a swimming pool along the way. :)

7. ptbabin

ptbabin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, I will be sure to check out that forum as well! I too agree that the kids may be a bit bored sometimes, so we are throwing in some fun attractions like staying in a rail car in Williams, visiting the Grand Canyon, a side trip to Circu Circus in Vegas, and I'm sure we'll end up in Disneyland!:) This is my hubby's dream trip! I can only hope that it goes as well as he expects it to. I am skeptical, but hey, i'm up for an adventure! I see you're an Olds lover also! I'll have to post some pics of my others....Is that allowed on a wagon site?? lol:rofl:

8. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

:Welcome: Tara. How about some more and bigger pics of the wagon!

Enjoy!:D

9. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi Tara glad to have another female on board. Your trip sounds awesome. Good luck finding the parts your looking for...you sure don't want the car having issues while your away. Can't wait to see your pictures

:Welcome: aboard.

10. ptbabin

ptbabin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I really do need to get some bigger pictures! I'll need to dig around and scan some!:)

Fannie, I am so worried about something going wrong on that long trip with all them kids....but my hubby swears it will be fine! One day I vow to visit Nova Scotia! That's where all we Cajun's originated from! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

11. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:PT? ER CAJUN PT?, ER PT CAJUN? I can't let it go an that just the way it iz:clap: Make sure You 'n Hubby put Knotts Berry Farm on you to-do list when you do Disney Land. They're 'bout 3-4 miles apart, Fewer ridez but much less expensive, and way more calm. A 1953 2 D HT 98 Fiesta waz my Fav. Oldz:thumbs2: Wished I still owned it:slap: Now go suck some Crawfish fer me:banana:Oh how I miss those Lil' Rascalz:bowdown:, :cheers:Jer

12. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

All them kids???
    How many are we talking about???
    Cajun's originated from NS???
    I didn't know that :huh: Maybe that makes us second cousin :D well stop in any time cous...how many kids...

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, tara.:yup: I have a friend that's an Olds freak. What kinds of parts do you need?

14. ptbabin

ptbabin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :) Definately Cajun...or as I prefer, a proud "coonass"....I guess I need to change my screen name to CayjunGirl! PT is myself & my hubby's first initial. To be honest, my hubby really isn't thrilled about going to any parks...but tough, we need something to look forward to!

Fannie, I have three kids.....at the time of the trip they'll be 13, 10, & 6. And yes most of my ancestors, although originating in France, were in Nova Scotia and other parts near there, and years upon years ago, were booted out and settled mainly in southern Louisiana. In my family tree, many...MANY of them were born there!:)

As far as parts, I can get many of the performance parts through either Year One or Original Parts Group or even Summit....I am really more interested in some interior parts. I really would like some door panels, which I cannot find...and a newhood would be nice:dancing:

Ok, now I'm going see how to change my name!:rofl2:

15. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Alot of truth to that fannie, Cajuns and Canada have a conection(y)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun

Quote....

Cajuns (pronounced /ˈkeɪdʒən/; French: les Cadiens or les Acadiens, [le kadjɛ̃, le zakadjɛ̃]) are an ethnic group mainly living in Louisiana, consisting of the descendants of Acadian exiles (French-speaking settlers from Acadia in what are now the maritime provinces of Canada - New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, or Prince Edward Island). Today, the Cajuns make up a significant portion of south Louisiana's population, and have exerted an enormous impact on the state's culture.[1]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011