1980 diesel Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by RoadmasterWB4, Dec 8, 2013.

1. RoadmasterWB4

RoadmasterWB4 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

Back on the day we pulled the diesel out and replaced with gas they worked really well with the gears in the trans and rear suited for diesel

Great place for a LS swap.

3. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

For that money, grab it, maintain it, and ENJOY it. When the diesel dies, put in a nice V-8 gas engine.

4. RoadmasterWB4

Wagon Garage:
    I guess the question is, how long would the diesel be expected to last?
    With only 31 k , id expect it to run for awhile.

Any idea on what kind of mpg?

Also, it looks like a full size wagon, right?

One more thing, what's the deal with the split window on the back door? Does that little sliver open?

Thanks

5. yellerspirit

yellerspirit Well-Known Member

6. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

The Cutlass Cruiser is mid-size.

The rear window opens upwards manually from the tailgate on struts.

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

It's a mid size Olds, just like the two I have. Yes the split/vent window opens and that's it. The rear door windows because of some stupid idea GN had at the time do not roll down in any of the mid size wagons. If I "Had" been looking for a new wagon back in the day the lack of this feature would have been a "No Sale" (very uncomfortable ride inside because of this, lack of air flow) There are many rumors as to why GM did not do it....more seat room in the rear BS has been the best running one but the Fox body fords, the rear door windows rolled down, so did the Aspen/Volaries windows and there was more than enouph room, I've owned them all....... IMO it was a bean counter desition to save a buck.

1980_olds_diesel_wagons.jpg

But as for MPG....... they were so slow it would take you weeks to get there!...... unless you upgraded the muffler bearings:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. RoadmasterWB4

Wagon Garage:
    THanks for the info - better stay away from this one.

Probably the reason he's having trouble selling it.

Looks to be in good shape otherwise

9. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

GREAT LINK!...... I did not even see your post when I was referring to 'bean counters":biglaugh:

Quote......
    In this era before electronic engine controls, the measures automakers took to follow the rules meant that even the brawniest V8 produced barely enough power to pull a big-body car up a hill. The solution, at least to GM bean counters at the time, was to rush a series of diesels to market.

(That proved to be boat anchors)

10. speedingbullitt

speedingbullitt Member

I remember looking into these wagons a while ago and my research did come up with the head bolt issue as above. If I recall there was a fix that GM used to repair these motors and it may have been to go with head studs.....I'm not quite sure if the details anymore, but recall reading that the fix largely fixed the main motor issues, allowing for a fairly reliable diesel.

Do a little research and you may find this motor may have been fixed by a dealer recall sometime in the past and actually be a good reliable purchase. I can't remember all the specifics but I remember thinking I'd be comfortable with the V8 had it had the fix that GM came up for it.

As for the water separator issues, not sure on that one, but diesel fuel quality is much better now. I run two diesels presently and never see any water issues which impresses me. As for any pump / fuel corrosion that previously happened to this car though?...... Who knows.

11. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The water separator is an easy fix as after market is available. My main concern, after the head bolt issue, would be the low mileage and possible resulting corrosion issues.

mike

12. CustomCruiser90

CustomCruiser90 Well-Known Member

If GM was "saving" money by their fixed rear door glass, how much do you suppose was saved by putting manual and electric vent wings in the doors?
    Inquiring minds want to know. :anyone:

13. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    The head studs were very weak in the first-gen GM Diesels. Also, there was NO water separator of any kind incorporated in the fuel system from the factory, so there were considerable fuel problems as a result. Especially if you were in any part of the country with more than 15% humidity!

I had a neighbor in 1983 that had a 1981 Olds 88 with the Diesel engine. He upgraded the head fasteners, used different head gaskets from stock, and added a water separator. He ended up with a pretty dependable car, but the acceleration was horrible! Yeah, he got nearly 30 mpg with the car, but zero to sixty speeds were timed with a sundial! He did get the car up to 80 mph on the freeway once, but he said it took over six miles to get to that speed!

When I was working for a Chevy dealership in 1979, we got a transporter-load of C10 and C20 4x2 Diesel pickups...in Colorado! First off, a 4x2 is a slow seller there, period. The Diesels all had automatics, and manuals were the popular trans in my area back then. Most car and light truck owners were unfamiliar with Diesel ownership, as was the dealer. Plus, cold-weather use is unique with a Diesel-powered anything. We had one full-time Diesel line mechanic when we started selling these. It didn't take long to hire three more! And they were very busy! As a service runner, I ended up with one of these pigs as a service truck, to run customers around it, parts chaser, etc. It was a fully-loaded Silverado, with all the bells and whistles. But, it was a serious PITA to drive in traffic, as it couldn't get out of its own way!

14. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
    And now we know why turbos are pretty much standard fare on any diesel. :yup:

15. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Turbos make tons of sense for a Diesel but my 1990 F350 Crew Cab did pretty well with its NA 444 IH. Adding a turbo was a very good upgrade but I would take the NA over the later electronically controlled versions. Can always add turbo later.

mike