Mike Brady's Station Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media' started by mrtotty, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mrtotty

mrtotty New Member

Can anyone tell me which sort of station wagon Mike Brady drove in the Brady Bunch back in the early seventies? I can't remember whether it was a GM clamshell wagon or a Ford Country Squire or similar.
    Whatever it was, it was enormous.

BadKarma714 likes this.
  2. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

Mike Brady actually drove the cool convertible. I believe there were at least 2 different convertibles, the last one being a 74 (I believe) Caprice convertible. Greg and Marcia used it for their driving contest. Greg choked and broke the egg on the pylon, Marcia won...

Carol Brady drove a Dodge/Plymouth station wagon. It was the mid-size model (Coronet or Belvedere?). She wrecked it one episode...ok, she didn't "wreck" it, but she backed into another car in a store parking lot, while distracted by Bobby/Cindy fighting in the back seat (the dangers of parenthood). The other driver tried to sue the Brady's, claiming whiplash and other damages. Mike threw his briefcase on the courtroom floor, the victim turned his head, which the Judge saw and threw the case out and all was right with the world again.

I never watched the show... :rofl2:

Grizz likes this.
  3. 73Catalina

73Catalina New Member

When they went to the Grand Canyon, I thought they had a Coronet. I thought they had mopar throughout the show's run but I could be wrong. It was kind of cool I thought when an insurance company (can't remember which one:banghead3:) "revisited" the set, and there was a Buick clamshell in the garage:2_thumbs_up_-_anima.

4. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Remember watching something on TV that explained that the Brady wagon was a late Sixties Plymouth.That Mike's first convertible was an early Seventies Plymouth and,when the show changed sponsorship,he got the Chevy.They kept the wagon,as it was a bought prop.

5. TopherS

I don't remember the Buick...I gotta see that. I checked IMCDb.org for the Brady Bunch, but all I got was the movie, not the series. I also did searches under Coronet and Belvedere and found nothing.

6. TopherS

I just found the info on the cars (the page also has info on the house, as well)...

Here's the website: http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/The_Brady_Bunch_-_The_Brady_house/id/5514540

Here's what it says:

The Brady Bunch - The Bradys' cars

During the first two seasons, each of the Brady family's motor vehicles were supplied by Chrysler Corporation: a blue 1969 Plymouth Fury III convertible (which Mike drove) and a light brown 1969 Plymouth Satellite
    station wagon.

For the 1971–1972 season, the Bradys obtained new vehicles, once again supplied by Chrysler Corporation: a blue 1971 Plymouth Barracuda convertible and a brown 1971 Plymouth Satellite Regent station wagon. The 1971 Barracuda was modified during the 1971 – 1972 season into a 1972 model, with the addition of that year's particular grille and tail light combination (interestingly, the Chrysler Corporation never produced a 1972 Barracuda convertible). Greg, who by this time had his license, sometimes drove Mike's convertible, although he briefly owned a 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible, a car which proved to be a lemon.

The Bradys kept the 1971 Plymouth station wagon throughout the rest of the series (this vehicle played a central role in the episode "The Fender Benders"), although Mike kept switching cars, which by the 1972–1973 season, were supplied by General Motors. These were as follows:
    • 1972–1973 - A blue 1972 Chevrolet Impala convertible.
    • 1973–1974 - A maroon 1973 Chevrolet Caprice Classic convertible with white interior during the first half of the season. Starting with 1974 episode, "The Driver's Seat" and continuing through the remainder of the series, the convertible is a red 1974 Chevrolet Caprice Classic convertible with black interior.
    There are two known surviving "Brady Bunch" cars: The blue 1969 Plymouth Fury III convertible (which has been perfectly restored), and the modified 1971 – 1972 Plymouth Barracuda (which was found in 2001 in extremely poor condition, and is under restoration by its current owner). The whereabouts of the remaining vehicles are not known.
    During A Very Brady Christmas, Mike's car is a 1988 Chrysler LeBaron convertible; the family station wagon is not seen.
    In The Bradys, Mike continues to drive the same car as in A Very Brady Christmas. The family station wagon (which a drunken Marcia attempts to drive) is a 1990 Buick Estate wagon.

7. 73Catalina

73Catalina New Member

I was a little vague in my description. It was insurance commercial, and the spokesman was doing his pitch as he walked around a recreation of the Brady backyard.

8. mrtotty

mrtotty New Member

I did, but I must have been about nine or ten at the time.
    I clearly remember both the driving contest and Mike dropping the briefcase in the courtroom. Funny how certain things stick in one's mind.
    All these relplies are rather good, by the way. Thanks everyone for your efforts.

9. TopherS

I was only joking about not watching the show...I actually watched it as much as possible. I, too, was only about 10 or so when I watched it. It's true about things sticking in one's mind. Funny thing is that I only saw the "Fender Bender" episode one time...and never have seen it again. I would like to see it again. I just stumbled upon the website about the house/cars. Seems that there is a lot of interest in the subject. Interesting...

My favorite episode was the one where they were playing jokes on each other, pretending there were ghosts in/around the house.

10. mrtotty

mrtotty New Member

I'm a teacher, and I like to put interesting posters up on the wall in my classroom. The boys who live in there are 11/12.
    One of my display posters was a picture of the Brady Bunch, minus Mike, who must have taken the picture. The boys didn't notice very much, except that the Bradys had such perfect teeth (by British standards) and that Alice looked like their French teacher.
    It was another story with my colleagues, though. Most had very fond memories of the Bradys, though none of us could remember the middle girl's name.
    It seems that early seventies America was a rather fun place!

11. TopherS

Well, I can't speak too much of 70's America. I was born in '71, so I was there, but young. Plus, I grew up in a very isolated area (southeastern New Mexico) that was controlled in large part by the Catholic church. So my recollection was somewhat different, to be sure.

As far as the Brady kids' teeth, I believe that almost every kid got braces while on the show. My 10-year old is going to need braces (he's part shark...he's got 2 rows of teeth on the top/front :disagree:) and even with insurance, it's going to cost me over $2500. I can't imagine what a family the size of the Bradys would have had to pay for all those braces!

The middle child was Jan (AKA: "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!!!")

12. mrtotty

mrtotty New Member

I'm a little older, born in 1966. I grew up in New Zealand, which is probably as isolated as New Mexico.
    Culturally, the US made a huge contribution to my childhood. I was a great fan of the Monkies as well. They had a rather wonderful Mustang.

13. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sheesh Topher, that's a pile of money for Dental. My wife is the bone nibbler here and takes great care with hers. She just got a filling and cleaning for under $350.00. Hadn't seen a dentist in over 12 years! They gave her a free tube of whitener type toothpaste that made her gums feel like there were pins and needles in her mouth. She dropped that and two weeks later she's back to bone-nibbling. I cringe every time she gets a drumstick. That poor bird wouldn't make a decent test for an autopsy!:rofl2:

14. TopherS

Fortunately, my dental coverage is better when it comes to more routine things, such as cleanings/fillings, etc. Cleanings/fillings are free after your first 4 years with the plan (they are $4 for the first 4 years). Crowns/Root canals are around $40 or so. Bridges a little more, I think. But the plan falls short on orthodontics...and the orthodontics plan only applies to my children. My wife and I, both, could use to have our teeth straightened for bite/TMJ issues, but we would not be covered...so it would cost around $4500-$5K each to get braces...therefore, we won't get them.

15. TopherS

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!! The Monkees! I forgot they ever existed! I loved the Monkees. Their car was quite cool.