1972 Estate Wagon Limited Coupe

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by wixom61, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

You paint it yourself and think of the $$ your going to save, witch in turn can go rite back into it else where.:yup:More satisfaction also when you do it yourself!:bouncy:

I've painted a few back in the day, next paint job will be my truck and I'll beez a spryin(y)

2. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Oh Tedy, Tedy, Tedy, you silly boy!

That old "gee I'll do it myself and save money" canard...I'll end up spending so much more now...I'm bound to! :rofl2:

I'm such a control freak, that I now have the bright idea to buy an industrial sewing machine and do the interior myself...how hard can it be! :banghead3:

Riiiight! Can't wait to see how much that dubious proposition is going to run! :disagree:

Oh well, live and learn...and have fun along the way!

David :)

3. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

David, I've got a couple "hook-ups" if you need them. I have Gonzalo, an upholstery guy, who does it all and Carlos a re-chroming guy. Gonzalo, I can vouch for cause I've seen his work, but Carlos, I'm not sure yet. He has my bumpers right now, but give me a week or so and I'll give ya the heads up.

By the way it didn't take much to get us away from work and respond to ya huh? It must be almost Friday and everyone is already on "Friday mode".

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

...................................................................................................

5. wixom61

Thanks for the leads! A good bumper guy will be great! Interior too!

Guys, I am so glad for the imput! :tiphat: I've been kinda down with my lack of much progress, but just having fun with you guys gets me up and enthused again.

I started this last October! But I'm sure looking forward to Sept. and Oct. for cooler weather and a renewed drive to get this thing done!

Yea for Friday Mode!:clap:

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If you've never used an Industrial machine, take an evening course, and use your car for a class project?:idea: Tedy posted about using his wife's Serger machine. Does an excellent job, as good or better on fabric seats. Not strong enough for vinyl though. By the time you get the gussets and beading and panel seam areas together, an industrial machine with a 1 horse motor is even grunting a bit.

Spraypainting is not one of my 'natural' skills. I've done it on wood with catalytic finishes, and helped my dad do our old junkyard trucks, but today's auto finishes are a different beast. I give those artists their dues.;)

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Norm, if we set you up with a sprayer, and Andys wagon to do your first practice on, by the time you cleaned up the first mess youd be ready for your wagon!

:rofl2::thumbs2::rofl2:

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You KNOW that ain't gonna happen!:rofl2: Andy needs a garage with no sappy trees over the cars. I have no trees and no garage.:rofl2:

9. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I know from pictures that Andy is pretty Handy with yellow.:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    He's got a good eye for colour, really. An artiste and musician and a tuneup guru.

11. wixom61

Well, today went much better for me. :clap:

I went by an area trim shop that has been around for many years, and found the perfect vinyls I will use for my wagon. :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

I found NOS GM White Madrid-grain Viny for my interior, and GM White Levant-grain Vinyl for my top.

I took a few pics of my Royal Blue Metallic DuPont color standard plate, with swatches of both vinyls.

LH pic with a flash. RH pic with daylight. The blue is not quite as bright as the flash pic shows, but it's also not too dark. I really like it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Both white vinyls have a nice off-white color, with a slight pearlescent sheen. I bought plenty of both, for a super low price! Yea!:yahoo:

A nice lady that works at the trim shop, knows a good retired upholstery guy that she recommends...he works out of his house, and has years of experience...so maybe that will work out!

I also stopped by my auto paint store, and asked a long-time friend that works there if he knew of a good shop that could paint my car, or let me rent the use of their booth. I new have a couple of good leads! Yea! :yahoo:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Gonna look first class, Wix!!:thumbs2:

13. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    That is a very good color combination, David.
    Will there be a double seam on the vinyl top?

14. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    BTW: just got back from the US trip... finding my second floor of the house with a 1/2"of water... probably the roof couldn't handle the amount of rain that has fallen here in the last weeks. So I have other priorities the next weeks orso :mad::mad::mad:

15. Wagonmaster Russ

Wagonmaster Russ New Member

Check your local automotive paint supply store and ask if they know him, I bet that will start you on a trail to him...........