57 Pontiac Transcontinental on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by Jim 68cuda, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1812016792.html

1957 Pontiac Custom Safari Transcontinental Wagon - $16000 (Portland)

Reply to: sale-psupj-1812016792@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Selling for a dear friend: Please email me for additional information - Additional photos here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467790

1957 Pontiac Custom Safari Transcontinental 4-Door Wagon. This is a wagon I've had my eye on for a long time, and just can't swing the funds myself, so the least I can do is help find a new home for it. For those of you that don't know, the Transcontinental was the "Primo" wagon offered by Pontiac in 1957, built with the "road trip" in mind. There were only 1,894 Transcontinental units produced. Special trim and options including a special split bench front seat that allows the passenger seat to recline fully to allow the person riding shotgun to get a nice rest while moving on down the road. These are truly spectacular cars.

This particular car is in the process of being customized for long travel. It would make a great tow rig for a vintage trailer (what I had in mind.)

The wagon is sitting as a roller with new paint, ready for cutting/buffing and final assembly (with exception of side accent color, see below.) I will be posting pictures within the next week.

The specs:

BODY:

Floors have been replaced throughout and look fantastic.

Filled firewall.

PAINT:

NEW Sierra Gold with Adobe Beige top (side accent in Adobe Beige needs to be painted.)

GLASS:

Has all glass - drivers door glass is cracked.

TRIM:

Has all trim

$4000 in trimwork restoration including:

Ironing out and polishing all stainless trim.

Ironing out and andodizing all special Transcont. lower side trim.

Trim is not installed.

Has original (unrestored) factory roof rack.

BUMPERS:

$2500 spent on bumper re-chroming.

Bumpers not installed.

INTERIOR:

Has all interior components (remember that special Transcontintental only front seat!) - Needs to be restored. Interior is out of car.

Has all near perfect dash components.

Has later Cadillac tilt telescope wheel/column.

CHASSIS/DRIVETRAIN:

Front Suspension replaced with a Cordoba front suspension - Torsion bar, disc brakes, power steering. Gibbons cross member. Motor/Trans was installed for fitment, then removed for body painting process.

Rear end is parallel leaf supporting a 9" with 3.25 positrac.

Engine - good used 350 SBC - late model engine ('88?) It has been inspected but I don't have much more information beyond that. ENGINE NOT INSTALLED.

New Alum. intake/Carb yet to be installed.

Transmission - rebuilt 700R4. TRANS NOT INSTALLED

New trans cooler yet to be installed

NEEDS Gas tank - I believe these were unique tanks in wagons.

15" chrysler steel wheels all around.

Custom Buick caps.

4 new Coker White Wall Radials - not yet mounted.

INCIDENTALS:

New (R. Fancis I think) Wiring Harness ($500) yet to be installed.

New cables for rear gate yet to be installed.

Electric Wipers yet to be installed.

The first $16,000 or highest offer will take this opportunity to finish and own a truly great car.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Neat cars but do not get the attention of their Chevrolet counterparts. There is still a ton of work to do on this one. Based on that, IMHO, pricey, but then for someone who wants a good one, they don't come up for sale too often. Not for the faint of heart though. I've seen this advert some where else about two months ago but don't remember seeing pictures.

3. Hooptologist

Hooptologist New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Pictures look like a scale model car

4. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I was just thinking the same thing! :idea:

5. teej

teej Well-Known Member

Yeah, that "scale model" has been listed for sale for what seems like forever. I know it's tough to take a loss when you've put a lot into a car, but I just don't see them getting that kind of money for a project. Especially after paint. If I'm buying a project, I'd rather choose my own color. Not to mention it's got crap for an engine. ('88 Chevy?) Pontiac folks don't usually take kindly to that sort of transplant.