Speaking Of House Cars... Cadillac

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Drg racr, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. Drg racr

    Drg racr New Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Messages:
    510
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Dublin, Indiana
    Remember when Cadillac had the thing that was the bottom half of a 56 wagon and a camper shell on top? There's one of those sitting about 10 miles away from my house.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that those oddities are fetching some good money right now. I guess they only made a few thousand or less of them. The only reason I remembered that car is because the house it sits next to caught fire a few weeks ago and I'm on a volunteer dept. I believe the old man that owned the property is in a nursing home knocking on the Grim Reaper's door.
     
  2. snooterbuckets

    snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
    Messages:
    3,742
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    Cranford, New Jersey
    Talk about weird cars.

    In the late 70's early 80's I lived in a nice little seaside town named Cardiff by the Sea in Southern California. Some guy out there took the fuselage from a jet liner and mounted it on a truck chassis. It was such a cool vehicle and loooonnnnnggggg! Obviously, it didn't have the wings on it anymore, but it was clearly once an airplane. When I moved back to New Jersey, I was going to work one day and saw the exact same truck/plane, (there couldn't have been more than one of them), on Rte 22 in Scotch Plains. I'm sure it's long since found a home in some junk yard somewhere, but it definitely was a head turner.
     
  3. Fat Tedy

    Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Messages:
    18,099
    Likes Received:
    1,096
    Trophy Points:
    1,108
    Location:
    Victoria BC Canada


    Going way back now....there was a 70's TV show called "Real People" and they showed a plains fuselage on truck chassis driving thorough down town where ever it was...it was cool IMO
     
  4. Krash Kadillak

    Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Messages:
    21,109
    Likes Received:
    2,062
    Trophy Points:
    798
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Springfield, Oregon
  5. Blackfoot

    Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    Messages:
    2,177
    Likes Received:
    8
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Clymer, NY
    Yeah, that thing looks safe to share the road with. How would the Pilot/driver know where any other vehicles on the road are, let alone where the nose of that contraption actually ends?
     
  6. snooterbuckets

    snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
    Messages:
    3,742
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    Cranford, New Jersey
    How the heck does that boat stay afloat? I'll bet the inventor of that thing would've been mighty disappointed if, after he got it done, he put it in the water and watched it go immediately to Davy Jones' locker.
     
  7. GN300

    GN300 Tipmaster G

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1,761
    Likes Received:
    29
    Trophy Points:
    122
    Location:
    Aylesford Nova Scotia
    Does anyone remember the round the world one made our of an old milk tanker?

    Discovery tv i think.

    Diesel powered, on ocean and road.
     
  8. Krash Kadillak

    Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Messages:
    21,109
    Likes Received:
    2,062
    Trophy Points:
    798
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Springfield, Oregon
    Yeah, I remember that one. The owner of the Dobbertin Surface Orbiter invested quite a bit of money into the endeavor as I recall. Unfortunately, the beast didn't live up to expectations - had a lot of problems. I don't think he ever got around the world.

    [​IMG]

    Here's the website for it:

    http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Dobbertin%20Surface%20Orbiter.html
     
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  9. Senri

    Senri Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    112
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Beverwijk, The Netherlands
    I remember a dragrace team that often came to the Netherlands had a sort of camper/truck that came from a movie. It had a very futuristic front like an airplane..... I will try to find it....
     
  10. a1awind

    a1awind Tiki God

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    Messages:
    3,329
    Likes Received:
    8
    Trophy Points:
    110
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Ellwood city Pa
    thats the cosmic muffin!!!! its the boat from the book "where is joe merchant!!!!"

    something like this DRG?
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. Drg racr

    Drg racr New Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Messages:
    510
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Dublin, Indiana
    Yep, just like that only it's got the Cadillac front end. I remember a guy advertising in Hemmings a few years ago that he was looking for them.
     

Share This Page