HONeeeyyyyyy I'm HOooooommme! 2

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by silverfox, Dec 4, 2009.

1. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The CAR :
    Well...we get to the car and it's sitting in the big garage with the door open and it looks better than the pix. Amp already checked it out and I trust his judgement so I do a brief look over with the seller and, after reminding him of the things the car was supposed to come with that he seemed to have forgotten, I count out 5800 bucks in cash and follow Amp to one of his hangouts where he gives me better directions out of town than Mapquest (Mapquest sucks). Now...it's been raining all day and when I'm getting on the road it's a torrential downpour that's the prelude to an apocalyptic flood! I'm dead tired, having only 4 hours sleep in 3 days, but I had planned to get as far as Lafayette, IN the first nite. I did it but it was a grueling drive with extremely bad vision with the rain never letting up. Made it to Lafayette and slept 9 hours. The next day it was cold but no rain or snow. heh heh....:chirp:
    I love this wagon. It is cherry and runs perfectly. These B body wagons are treMENdous road cars! The engine runs along like it's kind of sleeping and even when you get on the pedal it seems to just do a yawn while moving the car as fast as you want. The marriage of the LT1 and tranny seems to be a good one. It doesn't seem to have a top end. They ride smooth as silk and handle like no other wagon I have ever driven. The speed limit in IN is 70 so everyone was doing 80 or more. I was passing a truck at 80 when a kid in a pick up with the hot rod hood zoomed up behind me. I glanced in the rear view and punched the wagon....figured I'd leave it there awhile to....you know.....give the kid enough room. :) I left him about a mile behind. Later, I put it on cruise. Didn't want a ticket. The kid finally caught up and his buddy rolled down the passenger window and they both gave me the (y). The wagon catches a lot of looks. It IS a nice looking wagon dressed out like an Impala SS. I stopped for a snack at a Pilot and parked right in front of the door. 2 younger guys came out and both stopped in their tracks and were looking at the car and talking about it. Before I got in the door one of them said..."Is this your car?" Like....what's a white haired old guy doing with this nice ride. I said "Yup" and after he was telling his buddy about how these wagons are fast etc...he turns to me and says..."Mind if I ask you a question?" I knew what was coming....I say, "Not at all". He asks, "How old are you?" I said, "I'm 70 when I'm standing here and 24 when driving that wagon." They got a kick out of that.
    I love driving this car so much I took the long way home. No lie. I did. When passing through Madison I swung over to the DMV and got the title transferred which made the plates I had put on the car in Ohio instantly legal. :) Then I ran it through my nephews state of the art car wash and headed to my buddy's garage. He took me to the airport so my Suburban was parked there. Good thing too. About a half mile from the garage here came the snow! So....there it sits. And here I sit. Dying to drive it but I can't. The salt truck guys already came out in some areas. These guys are chomping at the bit for the first snow flake. It hardly snowed but they had to drop the plows and spread unneeded salt! Pissed me off.
    SO....the wagon is cherry in & out and the owner took immaculate care of it. I am very pleased. I'm good to go with this rig. :) (y)
    Again....a huge thanks to Ampypants who acted like HE was buying the car and fronted for me all the way. A new member here and acted like he knew me for years. What a great guy. I would have been lost without him and would have been sitting in the Dayton airport with no communication from the reticent owner. THANKS, Amp! I hope I have made a friend for life and if there is ever anything I can do for you.....just ask. I have low friends in high places. :yup:

2. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

."Mind if I ask you a question?" I knew what was coming....I say, "Not at all". He asks, "How old are you?" I said, "I'm 70 when I'm standing here and 24 when driving that wagon." They got a kick out of that.
    Thats awesome SilverFox. Once you find that right car for you, there is nothing else like it.

Great to read everything went pretty well. Its even better to know there are still good people out there, willing to extend their help/advice. Guess we are pretty lucky to find such a tight nit group of true car collectors.

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    True words, wagnut! Our family here is probably the best on the internet. And what amazes me is that Amp is NEW. Yet...he acted like my brother. What a place and what a guy!
    Yup....the car is awsome. No doubt. Wish I knew what is wrong with this fancy stereo system I'm supposed to have in it???

4. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Excellent write up, SF. Sounds like you had an unbelievably nice cruise home. So funny about those kids; young whippersnappers!!
    I don't know if I've posted this story before, so if I have forgive me, but it's very similar to your's, so here goes.
    As most of you know, I used to run a Ford dealership and back around 2000, we took a maroon 96 Roadmaster in trade. The customer wasn't off the lot in his new Ford before my dealer plate was on the Buick and that immediately became my company car. So, I'm driving up the Garden State Parkway one evening with the girl I was seeing at the time. She wasn't really into cars but put up with me and my rantings. I was telling her how this big wagon, according to Motor Trend, was faster than a Mustang GT. She couldn't believe it and told me so but as luck would have it, as soon as I got off the Parkway and stopped at a traffic light, what pulled up right along side me, but a brand new GT.
    I put the long roof in neutral and give the 350 a bit of a rev. The Mustang guy looked over at me like, "What are you crazy? You're not wanting a race, are you?" I put it back into drive and started creeping ever so slowly the way you do to get the slightest jump as soon as the light turns green. The GT guy finally got the message that yes, indeed, I do want to race and now he starts creeping up.
    Light turns green and I floor it and that big wagon took off like a scalded rabbit. The acceleration of these cars is nothing short of phenomenal. (Did you know that the secret service used Roadmaster 4drs as their cars back then?) Now, I'm not going to say I "walked" away from the Mustang but there was no doubt I had the faster car. We were on a relatively local and almost residential street, so once I hit 65 or so, (speed limit was 35 I think), I backed off and of course, he went haulin' butt by me, but by then it was too late. I had clearly, clearly beaten him and I'm sure to this day, he still can't figure out how!!
    SF, take the Caprice out, find yourself a sucker of a Mustang GT driver, and blow his doors off.

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the story, snoot. Hey....I'm used to doing that. I've sent a lot of kids with Mustangs and Camaros home scratching their heads wondering how a white haired old man smoked them with an 88 Buick box wagon! It had a built 455 in it but they didn't know that. :yup:

6. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

Wish I could help you SF but I am still very new to B bodies. I'm pretty much reliant on some owners here, a few local guys I know here, and what I read on the net.

So far what I can tell, it really is pretty easy to work with. And information about the B body, seems to abundant.

7. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey, glad to hear you made it home OK SF and I'm sure it was fun for you too!

There's nothing like picking up a new ride and all is well with it with no hassles on the way home!

Most of the guys over on The Implala SS site are intrigued by the 96's and are always on the look out for the one's for sale, etc, etc, etc.

Good Luck with it & get those PICS up ASAP so we can all grool over it!

Clark

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mike, I'm soooo happy for you. I can visualize one day being able to do the same thing (get a car I dream about).

Ampypants, you're a hero.........

Marshall

9. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mike, What's the plan with the wheels & tires, you going to leave it alone for awhile?

God, they look great with Impala SS wheels & black tires on 'em!

[​IMG]

Clark

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Griz....thanks for the comments and I know the guys over there are always looking. What I CAN'T figure out is why there were only 3 bids on this car!?!? I'm not complaining though! I'm happy with the money.
    LOLOL.....Amp hates the wheels too. I happen to LOVE them! They are GM wheels. Sorry....I won't be changing them anytime soon. Different strokes.....

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Marshall...thanks, my friend. And you are right. Amp is a real hero in this saga.
    I sure hope it happens for you too, Krash! And I hope it happens soon and I hope you will be as happy with your wagon as I am with this one!!

12. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    70 and 24! :biglaugh::biglaugh::evilsmile:

What a great line!:thumbs2:

Great story after a long search. You're the first evidence that there is a Fountain of Youth!:biglaugh:

13. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

You know me; the firm believer in factory stock original wheels and tires, but I wouldn't touch the ones that are on your Caprice, SF. They look incredibly sharp and really define the car for the "speedster" that it is.

14. Ampypants

Ampypants Beer Drinker

I am a huge fan of the 5 spoke style....as you can see with a couple of my past cars.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont think the wheels look bad, but I do feel with some sick wide wheels in the back would look nasty!

15. Ampypants

Ampypants Beer Drinker

Oh and Double post....I love to give fox a hard time....."AMPT" Is my last name and yeah you say the "T" lol......

If he remembers the conversation with our server it will hit him lol