FORD 1967 Country Sedan: 11" x 3" Front Brake Drums desperately needed

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Scramblizer, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Scramblizer

Scramblizer Member

I need to replace both front brake drums on my 1967 Ford Country Sedan (289cui / automatic transmission). To my knowledge the part # C5AZ 1102-A will fit and so far I am only able to locate a set via ebay listed by a gentleman from Kentucky (title: Brake drum, hub, SET Ford,Merc, C3AZ1102C, C5AZ1102A,C2AZ1102A, 1961 TO 1969), who has not answered my request so far and its unclear if he would ship to Germany anyways. I know, 50 pounds will be no bargain to ship overseas but... ;-)

So does anyone of you know where to source them from or if any later year would fit, ie C9AZ 1102-C (like DFC 365-54029 @ ROCKAUTO)? Maybe you have a crossreference available and been there yourself...?

Any help to get Cpt Bob back on the roads asap is greatly apreciated. :) P5109063-01.jpeg

Thanks and Cheers from Wachtberg, Germany. Markus

image_2022-08-03_18-26-41.png

2. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

These full size Ford/ Merc mechanicals were pretty much inter changeable from 1965 through much if not all of the 70's. Another option would be to find the disk brake & spindle assy Ford used from 67 onward.
    There are a number of members here who have more knowledge of what interchanges so hopefully they'll chime in.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    curtisK and Scramblizer like this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I can do so. There's a member on the ranchero.us forum helping Leadslead and I with upgrading to front disc brakes, and it's kind of complicated, as you must have all the parts, from the two-chamber master cylinder, to the brake proportioning valve, and from there, both front caliper lines and flex hoses to the calipers. Then, you get the steering knuckle assemblies, rotors with bearings, splash shields, and caliper mounts. Those parts up to 1972 are direct bolt-ups. The only other problem in doing that, is consumable parts, they'd have to come from the US, even if a donor was found in Continental Europe. Anyway, there's a couple places I can check here in South Texas to see if any usable/turnable drums could be found.

curtisK likes this.
  4. Scramblizer

Scramblizer Member

Thank you very much, Andrew for the detailed views on converting to disc brakes. I know now who to ask for and this surely makes a lot of sense but would be my last option - besides the hassle to get the parts (over) here, I just do not want to disturb the "Zeitgeist" at this stage and keep the wagon in the state Henry built it. As long as possible or commercially reasonable anyways... ;-)

After quite some research in the web and the FORD Master Parts and Accessories Catalog I was encouraged enough to order a set of DYNAMIC FRICTION 365-54029 11x3" (C9AZ 1102-C) drums @ Rockauto (shipping costs as much as the parts but still my best option) and hopefully this works out. Another option would be to convert the stock setup from 3" to 2.5" by changing the brake baking plates to 2.5" and from there go with standard 2.5" brake parts which are easy to source and inexpensive. A very helpful local fellow from the FoMoCo.eu forum is actually looking up his used Galaxie-parts-shelf for usable parts as a "plan B".

image_2022-08-04_18-09-48.png
    Also thanks for mentioning the option with the used drums - if you spot some worth shipping please let me know! :)
    And if anyone spots some 2.5" backing plates (c5AZ 2012-A and C5AZ 2013-A) please drop me a note.

Thanks, Markus

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

If you never plan to tow or haul heavy loads, swapping to the smaller brakes is doable. As with any front drums not equipped with auto adjusters need to have them adjusted every once in a while, and adjusted equally.

6. Scramblizer

Scramblizer Member

Thanks for your response. I got some proving grounds within half an hour ride...:
    https://nuerburgring.de/?locale=en ;)

Honestly, I absolutely agree and choosing half an inch smaller premium drums and shoes will most likely work well enough for some cruising around. Automatic adjusters are standard, even with the 2.5" setup as far as I know.

Update: https://nuerburgring.de/events/categories/oldtimer/oldtimer-grand-prix

CPT BOB as the pace car...? Well, if FedEx delivers in time it may work out...:)

Cheers, Markus

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  7. Silvertwinkiehobo

I'll have to look it up. The front brakes on Leadslead's '66 Mercury sedan doesn't have them, so they require occasional adjustment. But just remember, auto adjusters only work when the car is driven in reverse.

8. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

No, they only work when you stop in reverse. :thumbs2:

Scramblizer likes this.
  9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Of course, you are correct. You have to move in reverse, then hard-pump the brake pedal two or three times, and I run the procedure twice to ensure all slack is taken up.

10. WideWagon

WideWagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello Markus,
    The Ford part number # C5AZ-1102-A is correct for your application, but it is a hub and drum assembly.
    All the replacement drums from reproduction brands like Wagner, Century , Raybestos or Bendix were always sold, beside few exceptions, as drums only. The hubs needs always to be reused from the previous assembly. Not a big deal, but they need to be aligned and centered properly with the new drum for concentricity reasons. If needed, I can send you the process to dismount and remount the drum on the hub.
    About the part number, my Wagner catalog (dated from March 1976 :) give the reference # 60057 for the front drums for Station Wagons, Heavy Duty and Police Cars in 11-1/32" x 3". You can also search them as BD60057 (the BD prefix is meaning Brake Drum of course). According to my catalog, the application for the drums # 60057 is valid for all the Ford Full Size Station Wagons, Heavy Duty and Police Cars from 1960 to 1968 and Mercury Full Size Station Wagons and Heavy Duty Cars from 1961 to 1968.
    The part number from 1969 is another one, so I asume that the drums are different from the previous model years, even if they share the same size.
    If you have not found originals NOS or NORS (New Old Reproduction Stock), I suggest you to order them to Kanter Auto Products.
    https://www.kanter.com/i-30563337-b...ll-size-front-drum.html#!year=1967||make=FORD
    I hope that these informations will help you and Cpt Bob!

Scramblizer likes this.
  11. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

You might want to inquire, here: https://shop.morlock-motors.de/Bremsbacken
    I'm not familiar with any possible interchangability of those parts listed. But, perhaps they can help. They have American automobiles and even have had a Ford jeep on their property. Many of these are parts cars. If you're lucky, they might just have what you need

12. Scramblizer

Scramblizer Member

Hello WideWagon,

happy new year amd thanks a lot for the loads of valuable information provided! :)
    Meanwhile I ordered a set of C9AZ 1102-C --> DFC 365-54029 @ ROCKAUTO and they seem to fit perfectly in regards of all measurements but the center (pilot) hole diameter which is larger (2.44 inch vs. 2.77 inch) since Ford obviously changed the hub and spindle specs for the Galaxies from that year on. My worries were will they still center on the hub with the help of the conical 5 wheel studs which they did. As a plan B I ordered some aluminum rim center hole reducers that have the perfect outside diameter but would need to be machined a bit to fit the hubs.

Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to thoroughly test drive them yet except for a few miles around the village but it looks promising. Will keep you posted... (y)

Cheers, Markus

IMG_20220811_145258977.jpg IMG_20220811_145340201.jpg IMG_20220921_103119155.jpg IMG_20220921_103125305.jpg

13. Scramblizer

Scramblizer Member

Thanks for the info, Doghead, but they do not carry these items for Galaxies (or equivalent). :162:

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yes, the drums will be true using the wheel studs. Because the studs are a swedged interference fit on both the hub and drum center (or they were at the time the cars were built), you need to ensure the swedged shank enters and captures both holes for each stud while you press them in. I take a CV shaft axle nut and a spare 1/2-20 lug nut and use them to pull the swedged portion all the way into the holes. When the hub is temporarily reinstalled, you can rotate it, watch to see if there's any wobble or not.

As for the spacers, they can allow you to use more modern (and slightly larger) steel and cast wheels, rather than trying to find older ones.

Scramblizer likes this.
  15. PetesPonies

PetesPonies New Member

What ever happened here? I'm adding 3" brakes to my Galaxie