Cheap 1964 Chrysler Newport 4dr. project car

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by WagonTheDog, Mar 21, 2022.

1. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

However, running a small block, you'd have to install big-block-to-small-block engine mounts and I don't think anything like that exists for pre-'65 non-C-body cars. You could fabricate your own, but that just seems needlessly involved just to install an engine in this car. Again, I'd just stick with a big block. Even the 361ci big block this model came with would be just fine. Any Mopar big block would drop right in. If I was doing cross-country driving with this car I would install fuel injection on it, but that wouldn't be a priority with the kind of build I'd want to do with this particular car.

As I mentioned, I'm a hot rodder at heart and that's a big part of the appeal with this car because I'd want to build it as a cheap and ratty street and strip car. Being that I'd be building it mostly for performance, I wouldn't be very concerned about overall fuel mileage, as that's not what my intended purpose would be for it.

However, if I was building it for long-distance driving, like going on Power Tour or cross-country, etc., I would very likely install fuel injection on it, and with that kind of car I'd be more open to properly restoring it too. But I have more sinister/bastardized ideas for this car. ;)

All in all, I think it's just a matter of a different in preference with how we'd build this car. There's no right or wrong ways, just different ideas. (y)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  2. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Have to believe somewhere in this great land of ours (and Canada) someone is sitting on an ex Roadruner 383 just dying to go into this Chrysler. Primer some of the rust add a ratty exhaust, and go terrorize the Kias.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  3. WagonTheDog

My thoughts exactly. (y) Although, depending on the engine and build, I'd be terrorizing SRT Challengers too. ;) The crazy thing is this car is actually a bit lighter than a modern Hemi Challenger! Seriously!

1964 Chrysler 4dr. w/383ci: 4,111 lbs.
    R/T Challenger: 4,182 lbs.
    SRT Challenger: 4,286 lbs.

However, the '64 Chrysler is less aerodynamic for sure. lol

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  4. WagonTheDog

Wow, neato! I was just havin' a look on the intergoogles and I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, because I actually didn't know this, but apparently the Chrysler Windsor model was discontinued in the U.S. market after the 1961 model year, and ALL 1962-'66 Windsor models were Canadian-only! So, no matter what Windsor model in 1964 it was (as well as any other Windsor after 1961) they were ALL Canadian models!

Have a look...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Windsor

So, given that these Windsors were Canadian-only models, now it really makes me wonder why there was no badging on the headlight housing and C-pillar on this car, because all the other ones I have seen have them. Knowing that, it really does make me think there was some kind of emblem-delete option that year or something. So intriguing. The plot thickens!...

5. WagonTheDog