1971 Ford Country Squire

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by markfnc, Jul 18, 2022.

1. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I remember as a kid we had a neighbor that had a ‘67 Newport 4 door and a ‘68 Satellite wagon. Loved those starter noise.

WagonTheDog and annap01gt like this.
  2. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Oh yeah. Mentioned my familiy's 63 Dodge a day or so ago and what comes into my mind while taking a shower last night but that eeheeheeh. My mind is going weird on me.

60Mercman and WagonTheDog like this.
  3. Edv96buick

Edv96buick Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I started out life as a Chevrolet only guy. This was due mostly to the fact that my father drove Chevrolets. However, my grandfather drove forwards so there was always Fords in my life as well. But as I get older I have an appreciation for all makes and models. Even foreign cars. I guess you could say I like all things Automotive. I do, however, really like to see cars from the past that were everywhere and now are very rare. This is true about station wagons mostly. They were used up and crushed. I liked them when they were common, but I like them even more now that they are rare. I actually just bought a 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS station wagon. I have wanted a Cavalier station wagon for a long time and this one came along so I bought it. It is being shipped to me so hopefully I will have it in a week or two. Most people would never get excited over a cavalier but when I tell you how rare they are, it is always nice to see them much less I have one

60Mercman, WagonTheDog and annap01gt like this.
  4. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Glad you got the wagon you wanted Edv96b. IMO small wagons like your Cavalier are very cool.

5. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Well said. Congrats on the Cavalier wagon too. I never appreciated them back in the day because they were such a ubiquitous car that was everywhere on the roads back then, but now that they're gone I kind of miss seeing them because they were a part of my childhood. My grandmother used to have a late 80s Cavalier wagon of the previous generation to yours and she drove that poor thing into the ground. She certainly got her money's worth out of it. Sadly, it rusted away before the drivetrain gave out, even though it had close to 300k miles on it.

6. mrvans

mrvans Well-Known Member

LOL. Chalk it up to the love of old wagons. I’ve always been a Ford guy, but really love my ‘96 Roadmaster and just parted with the ‘65 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country which was in a class of its own.

60Mercman and WagonTheDog like this.
  7. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I haven’t posted it yet, but I bought that 1994 Cutlass that was on here. It’s the real deal 54,000 mile deal I really like those Buick, Olds wagons. Loved the Taurus too, but man those 3800’s are pretty bulletproof. I’ll post it shortly.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  8. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks guys! The transporter called me this evening and said tomorrow he will deliver it around 9:00 AM. I only paid for it after lunch yesterday so they are super quick shippers! There is a story behind the car, back in 1991 when I was looking for a daily driver for myself it was between a new Cavalier wagon or a new Ford Thunderbird. I could not find the Cavalier wagon in the color and with the options that I wanted so I wound up buying the Thunderbird. I always wanted a white wagon because in those years if you ordered white you got body colored bumpers but if you ordered any other color you got gray bumpers which really detracted from the look of the car. So when I saw this white one and fully loaded with power windows and door locks I figured I just had to grab it. Back in 91 they were so rare that I could not find one with power windows and door locks. Couldn’t find it when it was new! But I have one now!

9. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Mercman…how is the rear bumper filler on your olds? I have the Buick century and the only thing wrong with it is a deteriorating rear filler panel. Otherwise my car is mint. Please let me know if you find a solution if yours is bad.

10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    It’s complete. It does have two cracks exactly at the end of the tailgate. It almost looks stock, but front and rear are totally complete. I think it’s not really to the point yet where I’m looking for replacements. Please let me know if you come onto anything. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  11. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Mine has some cracks but is still in one piece. Been looking for 2 years with no luck.

12. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I had a ‘79 Fleetwood that had pretty bad fillers. My body guy had someone he used and the replacements were fabulous, and he did a great job on the gold color match.

13. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think they were actually aluminum.

The "wrap" was a decal. At least in '69 & '70, this wasn't available separately as a service part. You had to buy the entire rail.

There are a number of shops that will put new decal on the surround rails, but inevitably it will show seam as it is wrapped around curves. Shops that do woodgrain dashboards of cars from the '30s and '40s can also use the same process to woodgrain wagon surround rails. A shop in Pennsylvania did this for the rails of my '70 CS, and I think the results are superior to decal. This isn't cheap either, but it's more durable than decal.
    This car looks very solid and very pretty. I'm surprised the bidding isn't higher by now. Either there will be a bidding war at the end or the lack of AC is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

14. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    You’re right ctrysquire. I said stainless. That’s what I call any non chrome part lol. Technically yes they were aluminum. At one time or the early ‘60’s they were fiberglass.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  15. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I was looking at this car wondering why it was made in Wayne, Michigan vs the big Ford plant at Mawwah. I guess being in western PA, Wayne made more sense. I think that front seat has also been redone. While I’m spewing I’m not fond of the ‘73-‘78 hood ornament. Whew…. Got that off my chest.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022