Anyone replaced the window sweeps on a Caprice?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Spartan, May 8, 2022.

1. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

The window sweeps are completely shot on my new-to-me 1983 Caprice Estate and are one of the first things I am addressing. I've being thoroughly searching the internet and it seems there is only one window sweep replacement kit available, made by Fairchild Automotive. I've seen it listed/sold in various formats and brand names, with claimed compatibility of various years, but mostly for the third-generation Caprice, 1977-1990 -- sometimes for that entire model year range, sometimes for only part of that range, sometimes only for a specific year. But on close inspection and comparison of pictures, they're all the same parts.
    [​IMG]

So I ordered a kit from 1A Auto, which claimed to be compatible with 1980-1990 Caprices. It is not. On my 1983 Caprice wagon, the curved end of the front door outers of this kit does not curve to the same degree as the originals, which prevents it from fitting correctly. I actually ordered a second kit from Amazon, which claimed different model year compatibility, but the parts are exactly the same. Here are some comparison pictures.

The bottom is the original, the top is the replacement:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the difference in the radius of the curved part. The original has a steeper curve.

Another view. Original on top, reproduction on bottom:
    [​IMG]

Once installed, it does not sit flush to the top of the door:
    [​IMG]
    That photo does not capture how far off it looks in person. I actually tried bending the part, both in and out of the car, including tapping with a mallet, but there is a piece of stamped metal in the vertical direction running the entire length of the piece, so it's impossible to bend in that upward direction. (I actually slightly mucked up the finish in my attempts, which now annoys me.)

I spoke with 1A Auto and they said it is an exact factory fit for 1983. I told them no, it's not, and sent them these pictures. They said that's all they have and sent me a return label.

I then contacted Rubber the Right Way, and the response said they believe the Fairchild kit (which they also sell as compatible with 1980s 4-door Caprices) is specific to sedans, not wagons. I find it tough to believe that GM would have made a slightly-modified front door specific to the wagon, different from the Caprice sedan. My guess is that GM might have changed the curve of that door sometime in the mid-80s.

So the only thing I can think of to get this to fit properly is to somehow cut out the vertical metal section where the bend is, so it can be carefully bent up more.

Has anyone replaced the front window sweeps on a Caprice wagon and gotten the part to fit? If so, what parts did you use and how'd you do it?

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Don't cut out the section, just make cuts in the metal (like cutting a steak's fat strip before grilling), so that it will bend, but not lose the support that the strip gives. The more snips you make, and the closer they are together, the easier it will bend without creasing.

3. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

So I actually thought about doing that -- making a series vertical cuts to allow the part to bend -- but then realized if I was to make five or six or seven or more cuts, I might as well just completely remove a portion where I need it to bend. That vertical section primarily only allows for the strip to be attached to the door, so as long as I leave the last screw hole, I should be good.

Anyway, I actually ordered another driver outer sweep last week on eBay (it was only 35 bucks) to give it a shot. I'll first try this on the one I already scuffed up/dented trying to hammer into place, and if it works, I'll do it on the unblemished one.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Hey, that sounds good; hopefully the cut section will not have any problems.

5. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Member

I litteraly just installed these in my 87' wagon. You have to firmly push down on that curve and start then tighten that screw. The metal is thin and will bend easily.
    The other problem you'll find is the rears are too long as the sedan doors are longer so you will have to cut them down and trim the rubber swipe to fit. I also had to drill new holes because those didn't line up either..
    I also did the tailgate swipe too.
    If you have anymore questions let me know.

6. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

So your '87 doors (and therefore also the trim) have the same amount of curve as mine? And did you find that the Fairchild Auto replacements didn't match that curve?

The metal is thin, but there is no way it can be bent in the upwards direction. (I tried, with force, both installed in the door and out.) I am specifically referring to the rubber-coated vertical metal tab that runs the entire length of the sweep. It is stamped into that shape. So the only way the piece can conform to the original is if that metal inside the rubber is "stretched" to increase the curve -- no easy way to do that.

As Silvertwinkie mentioned, the only way to increase the curve is to make a series of vertical cuts (perpendicular to the chrome trim), or as I plan to do, completely cut out the vertical piece where I need it to curve more, so then only the chrome piece will bend.

Would love to see some pictures of yours, if you did indeed figure out how to get that trim to conform to the upward curve of the door.

I also have the rear pieces, but my wagon is at the shop for some mechanical repairs, so I'll need to get it back before tackling the rears.

Where'd you buy the tailgate piece? I ordered the one from Steele Rubber, which is the only one I've been able to find. It hasn't been delivered yet. How is the fit? I am concerned that it doesn't match the OEM one, particularly at the curved ends.

7. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Member

The doors are the same. I was able to make it fit by starting the first screw then pushing it down hard while getting the next screw in.
    The tailgate rubber fits OK. I ended up using 6mm bolts to attach it to the trim piece and cut off the excess bolt once they were tight.

Attached Files:

8. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

My modification worked. Here's what I did.

I actually first attempted this on the first new window sweep to make sure it would work. (I had scratched and dented this one previously trying to get it to bend into place, so I ended up buying a second new one.) I made two vertical cuts in the vertical metal section where I wanted it to bend.
    [​IMG]

Then I cut that section completely out.
    [​IMG]

Next I held the end flat against my workbench and applied gradual pressure to bend it up. I was nervous it might crease or dent so I went slowly until it matched the curve of the original. Here are the three pieces, top to bottom: First new one, original, and second (unbent) new one.
    [​IMG]

So now it sits flush with the door, just like the original did. I did the passenger side in the same way.[​IMG] .

So it can be done! Hope this helps anyone else who might be thinking of new window sweeps for his/her '80s Caprice wagon.

wagoninsane and HotRodRacer like this.
  9. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice job. Welcome to the world of custom fitted direct fit aftermarket parts.

Silvertwinkiehobo likes this.