1967 Caprice 427 4spd 3.55 !!

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by Jsafe, May 8, 2022.

1. Jsafe

Jsafe Well-Known Member

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don’t see a clutch pedal. Pretty rough wagon for that kinda money. Plus no AC or windows. I’d have a hard time scooting 20 large across the table for this one.

3. KT88

KT88 Active Member

Well, there is no PRNDSL hump on the steering column and no column shifter, so it probably is a stick. Has the stereo speakers, but no pictures of the dash to show the radio / multiplex and/or 8 track player. No underhood pictures? I'd like to see the leveling system. 2 0r 3 seat?
    Agreed, a lot of coin for what you get.

60Mercman likes this.
  4. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah didn’t see the automatic hump either, think there is some sort of slit in the carpet, but on those years of Chevy the brake pedal would have been smaller and roughly the size of the clutch pedal. The brake pedal looked “automatic” and I didn’t see a clutch, unless I’m totally missing it.

5. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It definitely has the holes cut in the floor pan for a floor shifter, but the brake pedal is an automatic one for sure. There is no clutch pedal and the column shifter is not an automatic, but beyond that there's a LOT of work to do to make it a "manual" 4 speed car again - no engine or transmission nor do I see any evidence of z-bar brackets, etc that are all unique to '67-68 big Chevy cars. I suspect someone either converted it to an automatic years ago when people still hated manual transmissions or someone robbed the 4 speed parts to sell and dumped the carcass.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, with the price posted ($23,456), that might just be a place-holder. Seller may want MORE, depending on interest.

A lot of money for something with no engine or trans. Also, don't be surprised to find out that the '427' badging is not original. a 396 in these was far more common, and the badge was identical, except for the engine size on it. CHECK the build plate.

I was going to offer to anyone interested that I could check it out for you and test-drive it, since I'm only 2 hours away, but someone would have to push.......

7. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Could you even do that for this era of car? I know GM didn't start specifying engine sizes on VINs until 1972 and other car lines required the warranty card, build sheet, or order ticket (and the latter 2 of those items weren't supposed to go to the customers) to determine what it originally came with. Even until 1968 I don't think GM was stamping partial VINs on the blocks of cars, making it hard to determine if a car's engine was original outside of the aforementioned warranty card having the EUN matching the block. The cowl tag with L36 stamped on it is very easy to remove and transfer around between cars (with someone I know having run into that on his car recently).

And I think I was wrong, the brake pedal might genuinely be a power brake manual transmission pedal as it looks smaller than the automatic one, but the clutch pedal is definitely missing (and is unique to Chevy big cars). Kind of strange that the clutch pedal would have been removed as it and the brake pedal were one assembly.

8. Edv96buick

Edv96buick Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If the clutch and brake pedal where one assembly that it makes even more sense why it’s missing. If someone converted the car to an automatic years ago when it was popular to do so, the automatic brake pedal assembly was available in almost any junkyard at that time.

9. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cool car. Or at least it was before somebody stole the engine and trans to put into something else and left the rest for dead. The gauge package and the kick panel speakers are fairly rare. I have feeling this car is not worth nearly as much as this guy thinks it is.