Tailgate Window Won't go down.

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by cooz65, Mar 31, 2022.

1. cooz65

cooz65 Member

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1970 Mercury Colony Park with the Magic Tailgate. I've owned the wagon coming up on a year, and decided to dig in to the rear window before this upcoming cruising season. I was able to confirm that I have power at the plug going to the window motor (in both directions depending on how the switch is pushed). The glass however barely budges in either direction. (The glass is in the up/closed position) I can see the gear motor kind of move in one direction and then cuts out. Same thing in the other direction. I then took off the three bolts holding the motor on (my plan was to take a better look at the motor and replace if necessary) however I could not get that motor out? Is there a trick to that? At least with the motor unbolted, I was able to confirm that the motor gear does spin in both directions (while not fast). It's almost like the motor doesn't have enough power to move the window down, or the window itself is just that stuck. I'm open to recommendations on how to move forward.

Thanks!

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

It's a '70. The grease needs to be dug out and replaced. Not to mention, the gear drive likely needs disassembly and inspection. If the motor won't disengage, the sector gear on the regulator might be jammed by the motor, which means you use a big screwy stick to pry it off the regulator. Don't worry, you shouldn't damage the regulator. Once off, the window *should* manually slide up and down. That's where cleaning and greasing the regulator tracks and track sliders come in.

3. cooz65

cooz65 Member

I took your advise over the weekend and did some serious cleaning on it. The left/right guides and slides were completely gummed up with crusty grease. The regulator itself was in pretty bad shape with grease too. The 3 bushings in the window motor were disintegrated. I have a new gear and bushings on order for that. Should be in much better shape after this. Does anyone know where to find the weather stripping for the tailgate to prevent debris from going in the tailgate? Pic attached of the strip I'm after.

Attached Files:

4. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a question that gets asked quite often around here! Try to find a NOS one (good luck with that), or fabricate something from what's left of yours..... OH the quandaries us wagon owners endure!....Longroofs Rule!

solvebring likes this.
  5. Blackvelvet

Blackvelvet Member

A good tip with weather strip....if you go to Steele Rubber, Rubber the right way, etc.look at the seals they make you can join two different shapes to make one piece to suit your car.

solvebring likes this.
  6. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    I bought all Steele Rubber gaskets for my '65 vista. They had a kit that included ALL the exterior seals, hood, doors, AND the tailgate! A little more coin than some of the "others" but they all matched the originals perfectly! HIGHLY SUGGESTED PRODUCT!.....Longroofs Rule!

solvebring likes this.
  7. solvebring

solvebring New Member

Now that's really f-ing something. I'll get in touch with em then to see what can be done. Thanks for the tip! These tailgate stories are damn hard to solve. I hate trying to find good stripping for my Park wagon.

Btw, I've also contacted Rubber the Right Way, and they got many "cut to fit" and universal products they think could do well with a Colony Park ...

wagoninsane likes this.
  8. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    GOOD LUCK!

9. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Let me know how your weather stripping hunt turns out. I've been trying to replace mine and am having terrible luck finding some.

10. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I got the Steele Rubber stripping for my Parkwood. It fit fine...I could have done a better job on the installation, but the stripping was just fine.
    On a related topic, my tailgate rattles...I could use some guidance there.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Tailgate itself, or something inside?