Just couldn't pass this up!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by hdshadpar, Jan 7, 2022.

1. hdshadpar

hdshadpar Member

Well I'm a new and from the far North and yes it's cold up here (-52 with wind chill), I saw this old girl on the local Kijiji and had to go see it as I grew up with one that Father purchased brand new back in 66. Lot of memories with it so it's closest thing to a 66 and I'm going with it. Told it was a 390 but have yet to confirm, have the original owners manual with the original name and location, it apparently is one of one for Canada if I decoded it properly, green with all Parchment interior, power seats, windows, ac how ever down the history road that was all taken out (got everything came with the car) and now its arm strong window/seats and no air. What they were doing I'm not sure but the front seat and door panel are JFxo9uI2SRCAKdXwRw9nPA.jpg TOEgTrcMTdq6rkpmIHkxdA.jpg %fWmd6KYTB+XiXEPfL8TnA.jpg not original. It looked like they had a spot for a floor shift but covered back in. Not sure if I'll ever go back to all that as thats a huge undertaking in my world but I've done crazier things. The floor boards are all new, shocks, front end, brakes etc.. it now has a 2 barrel for it started out as a 4bbl according to the serial number (z code). I've order new roof liner, sound proofing, new carpet, parchment paint for the interior, year correct under the dash 8track, I want to remove the 14" slotted mags and get back to 15's. There is no rust now that I can see unless there are hidden spots that I have missed. I'm going to leave the paint as is. My only concern is the motor, is it really a 390 with a C6 and how tired it is. Drove it home and she ran straight and true, lots of power and everything worked except the gas gauge, radio and clock. It was noisy with just pure metal under me but understandable. It will need new weather stripping as well. I tried to leave more pics but for some reason it won't let me. Hope I didn't confuse any of this and will have questions as I start to dissemble and put back together.
    Also, I have an opportunity to buy a 67 ltd for some parts, will that work for most parts? It has the original 390 4bbl in it and it runs.

JackWagon, markfnc, ArnieM888 and 3 others like this.
  2. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the wagon train, hdshadpar! :Welcome:

3. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Congrats! Hope you find all the parts you need to bring it back, good luck.
    keep us informed on the progress - we love these stories

4. ArnieM888

ArnieM888 Well-Known Member

Welcome ... how far north are you .... ??? .... I am near Winnipeg and it went down to -37 last night.

Hope it is a 390 , they are great engines in my opinion.

I have had experience with power window issues from 1965 era Fords ... it was a good system but the electric motors had lots of power (good) but in those days the kick-out relay was set too high .... so in a cold climate the windows would sometimes freeze to the weatherstrip and the (strong) motor would break the rubber coupling to the gear mechanism. (Cold rubber coupling also became too brittle in the cold)

Hope that makes sense .... back then Ford would not supply just the coupler and a new motor assembly was very expensive ... used parts were not around and often the customer would get me to manually crank the window up and lock it into place .

Just my guess why someone may have removed the power units from your doors .... disabled windows are a pain especially in the summer .

Sorry for the long ramble .... when it is this cold all I do is stay inside and type ..... haaaa.

Additional trivia .... majority of power window issues (especially GM products) happens if the doors have the window switches on the armrest .... every time that door is opened in rain .... water will get into the switch and corrode it .... stuff a person never thinks of at the time .... an occasional squirt of WD-40 helps keep it water resistant.

5. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Beautiful car! the gas gauge didnt work in my 68 when i got it either and in my case it was the sending unit..that will be a looker when your done because it already is one!

6. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums. Nice wagon! She's a beaut! Surprisingly, I actually like the look of the slotted mags on it, although, I totally get why you'd want to go with a more stock look (if that's what you're going for). Regardless, good luck with everything! She's gonna' to be a looker once she's done!

Cheers.

7. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome hdshadpar!

8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard. Looks like a real nice wagon you have there. Keep us updated on things as you go along.

9. hdshadpar

hdshadpar Member

Well tks everyone! I'm from Southern Saskatchewan 10 miles from Montana boarder, 1 1/2 hrs north of Glasgow. I will replace the slotted ones with 15" Mags, 8" on the rear (if they fit) and 7" in the front or reduce by 1" all the way around so I have a wider one on the rear. I have 1/2 the car sound proofed now, just waiting for more material, waiting for gauges and tach to install then finish the rest of the sound proofing. Just received the rest of the paint for the interior and am really pleased with the quality. Thought it might look cheesy but it looks good. I have the original white steering wheel and the green has to go.... Door panels will be a challenge but if they turn out as good as the back panels I painted then I'll just leave them. Hopefully by spring the front seat will be recovered by then so I can install and then take to someone to do the headliner. Still have to get around and check the stroke on the motor to see if it is a true 390, maybe tomorrow.

Attached Files:

60Mercman, ArnieM888 and OrthmannJ like this.
  10. ArnieM888

ArnieM888 Well-Known Member

I have nothing better to do so I looked this up ....

If you have an original 390 the casting number should be C6ME

Number is on right front (passenger) side .... likely need a flashlight and a mirror

Source:; www.erareplicas.com/427man/engine/partnums.htm

ford 390 block number location.JPG ford 390.JPG

60Mercman likes this.
  11. hdshadpar

hdshadpar Member

Thank You! This will be my goal today.

ArnieM888 likes this.
  12. hdshadpar

hdshadpar Member

So, my block casting is C6ME-A, so I went and measured the stroke on #1 and it turns out it is 3.98 stroke. So it is either a stroked 390 or a stock 410 or a 428.