What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Timmayy

Timmayy Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    WOW those wheels really brings out the look. Fantastic.

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I decided it was time to have some long overdue body work done. When I was in high school I was involved in a fender bender in the school parking lot. Both doors on the passenger side were creased/dented. I honestly don't remember the circumstances now, but at the time nothing was done about it. No insurance, no claim, no repairs. After the incident I hated to look at the passenger side of the car. After a few years I did a (very bad) amateur bondo job on the side of the car. Then I bombcanned it with white spray paint. It was better, but I was still embarrassed about it.

IMG_4658 - Copy.JPG

A guy I work with does paint and body on the side. After some discussion he talked me into letting him fix it for me.

IMG_3445.JPG IMG_3447.JPG IMG_3459.JPG IMG_3889.JPG IMG_3886.JPG

He did a great job. I am very pleased with the results. Now I can cruise in the Fury and not be embarrassed about my shoddy 20 year old amateur body work.

If you're interested I shared a little more indepth about the entire process here: http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/threads/travels-of-the-fury.46361/page-22 starting with post #328

90merc, WagonTheDog and 60Mercman like this.
  3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks great! Now what’s under the cover? Lol

4. OrthmannJ

That photo was taken at my coworker's house and it's his car. It's a 1963 Impala SS. He's in the midst of restoring it. It's all white and is going to be beautiful when it's finished.

60Mercman likes this.
  5. Timmayy

Timmayy Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks great.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  6. OrthmannJ

7. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I had an incident where the 454 in my 91 OCC decided to take a crap. I was going to get some barbecue ribs, and about halfway there a loud WONK, WONK, WONK occured, and the engine stopped. I managed to muscle the power steering and get it on a side street. It left about 4 qts of oil on the road, and another quart on the tow truck. The stupid tow truck driver hooked my core support to pull it up on the flatbed. They are buying me a donor one.

The #7 cylinder is half missing, the piston is destroyed, and the rod is bent. It also put 2 holes in the oil pan, broke a valve, and gouged up the head. I managed to get a donor short block and have it at the machine shop with the donor crank. I was going to rebuild it anyway, and already bought most of the parts. I am glad that I did not put all the new parts in the block that broke. Everybody loves pics of carnage so here they are:
    20211230_171247.jpg 20211230_163421.jpg

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I don't like carnage. But I'm curious as to why #7 let go. It's not the farthest back, but could there have been an oil splash problem?

9. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sheesh what a mess...might i ask what the mileage was when it let go? you might get a cool trophy paperweight when you pull it apart...:) glad your already on the job building the new motor!

10. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It is the farthest back on the driver's side. I am curious as well, but it is really difficult to tell which went first, the piston, the bore, or the valve. The piston has been up and down a few times after the fact, and has destroyed all evidence. There are piston parts in the area of the water jacket, I bet there are cylinder parts in the oil pan, and I would wager the end of the valve is in the mix somewhere too. The rod is twisted about 30 deg. as well.

It has about 7-12 K on it. I did not record the mileage when I put it in, and I swapped clusters without changing the odometer a year or 2 ago. At least I got every last possible mile out the the engine.

I was going to rebuild it anyway, because it was having overheating issues, and this will cost me about another $800 on top of my anticipated cost. I may even sell some of the "extra" parts to reduce the cost. I have a crank, 8 stock pistons and rods, 7 0.030 oversize pistons and rods, an original oil pump, and some miscellaneous parts. I pulled a really nice short block at the local PNP for $313.

11. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Rehung the exhaust system and reattached the fuel filler pipe today. Hoping for sun to pain but no…

OrthmannJ likes this.
  12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Swapping a Demon 1900 carb onto the Barge's 460. Hopefully, it'll be ready for a test fire-off in a day or so. Then I have to sort out the accel cable bracket position, install a Lokar kickdown cable, and Joe and I need to finish installing the dual exhaust by adapting it to the Barge's rear body.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  13. Silvertwinkiehobo

So, it's on, it works, and now we need to tackle the rest of the exhaust and the trans kickdown. We drove it for 30 miles, it didn't stall at all and even hot, it idled without problems.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  14. OrthmannJ

That's solid progress.

15. Dan Scully

Dan Scully Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Got the SMS door panels hung, and new headliner installed with Dynamet. Have disc brakes to install and a firm feel steering box to install also.

20220114_164501.jpg 20220114_164549.jpg .

JackWagon, fannie and OrthmannJ like this.